kalfax

The aspiring one.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to make it so that its detected which buttons you move with and so that the image of arrowkeys or wasd keys don't get removed until the player moves/uses them, for my tutorial. any ideas on how to set up an event like that?
Also I want it to depend on if the player is using wasd or arrowkeys, or possibly make it not too intrusive while showing both.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
three commands:
1) show picture
2) invisible, empty show text command
3) erase picture

the engine will not know that the show text is invisible to the player and just wait until that show text has been confirmed as usual before erasing the picture

kalfax

The aspiring one.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
upload_2018-2-19_9-24-44.pngheres what i ended up with, if the character moves in any direction the picture of the arrowkeys dissapear. :) thanks

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kalfax
That is completely unneccessary and will cause problems.
As I said above, you need only three commands, none of them conditional branches and even more importantly, not on parallel process or autorun. Because your structure only works as long as it loops, replacing the picture again and again by repeatedly calling show picture.
That causes lag and might cause flickering and has a good Chance to cause timing problems if there is anything else.

kalfax

The aspiring one.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but im making the opacity different?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is not what I'm referring to - I'm referring to what happens if no button is pressed.

For the conditional branch button check to work, the entire content needs to be on a loop, usually a parallel process. Because you cut away half of the events (the content is only part, the properties are as important as the content) I can't tell if you really placed it on parallel process, but for the button check to work it needs to be.

So if you don't press any button, the very first command "show picture" (the one with opacity 255) will be repeated sixty times per second, each time overwriting the displayed picture with itself and no changes to it or its opacity. That will cause the problems I mentioned.

kalfax

The aspiring one.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if no button is pressed it only keeps the picture there as an overlay of the map you could say. i dont think it makes any lag coz it doesnt keep trying to make it over and over. at least i don't think so.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
coz it doesnt keep trying to make it over and over. at least i don't think so.
And here you are wrong. If that event is on parallel, the first show picture WILL be executed sixty times per second - and without parallel, your button checks cannot work.
If your computer doesn't show the lag yet, it just means that it has enough CPU and RAM reserves to compensate so far.
But you can't expect every player to have a good computer, and lag is additive - the more of these events you include, the more the lag will sum up - until even the most powerfull computer can't compensate anymore.
the following structure handles things much easier (see attached screenshot)showpict.png

kalfax

The aspiring one.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
uhmm... i made it so that after you walk, it changes the event. so there shouldnt be any lag.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Good grief am I ever so dusty on music creation. Never move, gentleman and ladies!
After waiting for several months to observe the results of vaccines, I finally decided to go for Comirnaty, because now my job needs me to either be vaccinated or take a regular testing every 2 weeks(240 HKD per test), and it seems to me that Comirnaty is safe enough in my case :)
So, to create multiple faces one needs to first export, then import, over and over... who came up with this weird mechanism...
Away from home now since it reduce COVID spread
I hate doing voice over videos but people said they like hearing about the details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raigonex05