Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there, I'm currently making a game using RPG Maker MV, and this is an error that's been happening more...

So, for context, a character's image is made (whether its a sprite I commissioned or otherwise). I've decided to make the character's images all in one picture for the 8 character spread rather than it just being one from the character creator so I save file space and my images are much neater.

But when I go to test, the game is still looking for the file of the character image, even when I've replaced the character image with another character. Is there a reason for this happening? Is it the program making a route to the old character image still? If so, how do I severe that, and make it use the character image instead of trying to find the old one?

I don't know if I can provide images for this, as the way I explained it is what's going on... But I would greatly appreciate the help.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to do more than guess we would need to see a screenshot of the actual error message, but yes there are several ways how this could happen, usually due to user error.

the FILENAME for the graphic needs to follow networking rules. If that filename breaks those rules, then any browser will have problems loading the file.
If that happens, the error message will replace any letter that breaks the networking rules with a hexcode placeholder - for example any space in the filename gets replaced with %20.

and yes, that is the most common cause - the use of a space in the filename. But there are other networking rules that could cause this as well.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well there is no space in the filename or anything - it's just literally that the game wants to load the file, but I've already deleted the file, using another file, and it wants to keep loading that file specifically.

1626985324096.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Specifically, if you want to take a look into the developer keys, this is what's popping up:
1626985638858.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but I've already deleted the file, using another file, and it wants to keep loading that file specifically.
that means you forgot to delete all references to that file, it is still used somewhere in the project.
And I can see the space in the error message between Extra and 5, although it is strange that it is not replaced with %20 in that message. Although the error is listed with the %20 for space exactly there in the additional screenshot.

But the computer will never display that error for a file it does not need, so the old filename is still used in your game somewhere. You need to find the place where it is used and replace it there.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have any ideas of where the old file would remain? I've deleted it from its source and from the actual folder, so that's baffling that there's somehow still a remnant of it behind o_o;;

Zero_G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you really don't know where it is being called, you can search for the text "extra 05" in all the json files. A simple way is using Visual Studio Code, open the project as a folder and type that in the left search box.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
where the old file would remain? I've deleted it from its source and from the actual folder, so that's baffling that there's somehow still a remnant of it behind
there is no remains of the file anywhere - there is a reference to the file in your game, that is a big difference.

somewhere in your game you used that sprite. whenever you use a sprite, the filename will be stored there as a required resource. That is what is called a reference.
If you then delete the file without removing that reference, then you get the error you have.
It is basically the computer saying "I need that file, please give it back to me" after you deleting it.

you can search for the text "extra 05" in all the json files.
wrong reference, the search needs to be to "Extra 5" - both capitalization is important, and the zero is not part of the filename

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you really don't know where it is being called, you can search for the text "extra 05" in all the json files. A simple way is using Visual Studio Code, open the project as a folder and type that in the left search box.
so once I do this, I just delete the reference that was made in the json file?

Zero_G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
wrong reference, the search needs to be to "Extra 5" - both capitalization is important, and the zero is not part of the filename
Sorry I was typing from my phone, typo there.

so once I do this, I just delete the reference that was made in the json file?
I don't recommend that you edit a json file of a map or commonevents. But it will help you find where it may be. For example if it is in the file "Map020.json", you can search the events of that map, you can even go to the start of the line and see the id of the event.
Same if you find the reference of the image in "CommonEvents.json", go to the start of the line to the the id of the common event.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry I was typing from my phone, typo there.

I don't recommend that you edit a json file of a map or commonevents. But it will help you find where it may be. For example if it is in the file "Map020.json", you can search the events of that map, you can even go to the start of the line and see the id of the event.
Same if you find the reference of the image in "CommonEvents.json", go to the start of the line to the the id of the common event.
But what do I do once I find it? That's what I'm not understanding.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But what do I do once I find it? That's what I'm not understanding.
remove or repair it

for example if you find it on a map, you'll check every event on that map and you'll find one event that has no sprite because it cannot load that sprite. And then you either give that event a different sprite or delete the event itself, depending on whether you still need that event or not.

and similar if you find that sprite elsewhere, for example as an actor sprite - either give the actor a different sprite or delete the actor.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've already deleted the entire event, and have new sprites. This error still pops up even after I've done this.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This error still pops up even after I've done this.
then this error means that you have a second event where you used the same sprite.
There is a place in your game that still uses that sprite, that is a fact proven by the error message.
if you don't remember the second place where you used the sprite, you can use the teext search through the json to get a hint on where the second place is.
but that second use of the sprite does exist.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So what do I do once I find the location of where it's being used.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ive had this happen before. Simple make sure that the old files are not longer used anywhere with in the game. Check all characters, events, common events, etc. leaving to stone unturned. I literally spend a week finding a file that caused this for me too lol. It can be a headache

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh maannn, this is gonna be such a pain. I'm totally excited to do this /sarcasm

Theoretically, has it happened to you where you couldn't get it out of your game and it's glitched the file? Or has just combing through and making sure to remove it helped with all of it?

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
just combing through everything solved it. thought like i said i was frustrated because it wouldn't go away, kept getting the error and i believed i had all instances of the file removed. but after going through it over and over i found the 1 instance that made it do that. after i changed it, everything was working perfect.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you guys so much for the help! Its gonna be aggravating going thru all of it and removing it but at least it's not me actually being forced to go into the coding like I originally thought.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeah, it will be, so do it slowly, and take breaks, start with the system stuff, then maps one at a time. U go this! :rhappy:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th October 2021

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arvel