Image Maps and Hotspots

Discussion in 'VNMaker Support' started by Starvy, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Starvy

Starvy Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Hi guys!
    I'm creating my first visual novel in VNM and, luckily, I'm starting to understand the mechanics, after some struggling.

I need your opinion for this:
    Right now I'm working on some locations, linked each other by doors.
    I'm using Image Maps, so I have Image Maps like this test one, where the doors are hotspots and clicking on them I can move to other scenes/locations.
    During the game, I will need a character to enter the scene (sometimes) and to be clickable.

test.gif

I tried to add a standalone hotspot, but seems like it is not possible to add an hotspot over an Image Map, cause I can't see anything on the scene (the hotspot doesn't show).

So my question is: is it possible to use hotspots over an image map?
    Or...I need to create different copies of the Image Maps depending on the characters in the location?

Thank you :)

2. FoxySeta

FoxySeta Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm also having problems with single hotspots, but I can still tell you how things (are supposed to) go. A devs will probably answer much more in detail in the next hours anyway.

Just like all the other graphical objects, hotspots have a Z-Index. The only problem is that their scene command doesn't let you select it. Its default value should be 700 though, so If you just use an image map with the Z-Index unlocked and lesser than 700 everything should work just fine.

If that's not the case, I can at least suggest you a way of identifying the problem here: use a semi-transparent image map, so that you can see if your hotspot is really behind that or simply not in the scene.

3. Starvy

Starvy Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Thank you very much FoxySeta! It perfectly makes sense!

In the whiletime I succeeded to make it work, setting the Image Map in "Continue" and not in "Wait" state.
    It's strange (to me) cause also when the standalone hotspot is called before the image map, it works only if the image map is in "Continue".
    This is confusing but sure it's cause I have not understood yet how exactly this software works.

The next question is: is there any way to place an hotspot exactly where I need it, dragging the "base image" in real time?
    Cause when I place an hotspot I can set and resize the "dark rectangle", and the base image is placed by VNM in a second time, so I can't see the exact position of my png image in real time.

4. FoxySeta

FoxySeta Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Try opening the direct position window when your live preview is showing your ground image. This new window should show automatically the contents of the live preview.