Image Resizer (Specially for Upscaling Pixel Art)

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by RyanBram, Oct 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RyanBram

RyanBram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Introducing
    Image Resizer
    credits : Hawkynt

[​IMG]

1. Description
    Image resizer is a free software designed for resizing image especially for upscaling low res pixel art image multiple times. This software contains many pixel art scaling algorithm that only can be found in video game emulators as image filter. If it is about upscaling pixel art, this software is currently the best as nothing can beat it even it was the proprietary Photoshop or Perfect Resizer.

2. Usage
    The user interface is very straighforward, you just:
    - Choose an image that you want to upscale;
    - Choose scaling method that you desire (I reccomended use xBR 4x, but another method is also worth to be tried);
    - Set another parameter if necessary;
    - Save as your image.

3. Limitations
    The limitation of these pixel art algorithm are they only capable for magnifying picture in predefined size, such as 2x, 3x, or 4x and cannot be used to shrink images. The solution when you want to resize you picture with custom size is to magnify the picture with the pixel art scaling algorithms first, then shrink it with lanczos or another filter to the desired size. For example, a pixel art image with dimension 2x2 pixel want to be scaled until 7x7 pixel (almost 4 times of its original size). So the solution is by using - let's say - Hq4x filter to magnify it until 8x8 pixel, then shrink it with lanczos filter to 7x7 pixel. The image will looks perfectly with this method.

4. Comparison
    - Erick [​IMG] is scaled four times:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    - Boss [​IMG] is scaled four times:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    - Eliwood [​IMG] from Fire Emblem is scaled 12 times:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Download
    You can obtain the program at its main site, just make sure .Net Framework 4 is installed in your computer.

If there is any questions related the usage of this software and pixel art scaling algorithm, feel free to ask. Please don't mind to write your impression when using this software.

Best regards,

RyanBram

2. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I kinda like the second example. Looks a bit like Wind Waker / Cell Shading to me and i'd like to see a whole game in this style (could be done with MV by using upscaled Ace resources).

3. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Resizing pixelated images is absolutely not a problem at least for a GIMP - it does that perfectly from tiny to huge brick.

[​IMG]

ERIC MEGAZORD
    But the 'Hq4x filter' sounds interesting though. Perhaps I'll give it a try someday.

Thanks for sharing that information.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
    RyanBram likes this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've moved this thread to Program and Utility Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

5. Soryn

Soryn The Waffle King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just tried this with some nice results... Resizing VXA tilesets using this and the options suggested by the OP seemed to yield the best results for tilesets. I tried several other combinations, but none were as error free or as clean.

• Add your VXA (or whatever) tileset (drag and drop supported). Mine was 512x512 and needed to be 768x768 for MV
    • use either of these methods:
    XBR 2x (normal mode, the NoBlend option just doesn't look as nice)

HQ 2x (normal mode as smart or bold create distortions) - my personal fav.

• Hit resize and then hit switch (which puts the output you just created as your input source)
    • Change the method to lanczos for downsizing
    • Update to the proper size you want (768x768 in this case)
    • Hit resize again and then you can save your shiny new converted tileset and enjoy in MV :)
    It's quite easy and painless and I think with a little messing around, you can even create a batch script for it which would be a massive blessing.

Anyway, thanks again for posting this!

RyanBram likes this.
  6. unknownnumber

unknownnumber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hi RyanBram, I'm still using your RPT scaler and it does an excellent job.
    May I ask if there are differences between the scaler and the program mentioned here?

7. RyanBram

RyanBram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My RTP Scaler internally use Waifu2x for slow method that isn't available in this software. My RTP scaler also do it automatically while with this software you need to set everything manually. It is very good if you want to have custom size for your images.

8. unknownnumber

First Language:
    German
    Ok, thanks. I'll stick to the RTP Scaler then.
    One more question. The "Slow" method creates 3 files, "Waifu2xScaled"1-3. The Waifu2xScaled2 and Waifu2xScaled3 always seem to be identical (except Waifu2xScaled3 being a bit bigger in file size). What is the difference between the two?

9. RyanBram

RyanBram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If I remember correctly, the difference is about the number of colors.

Number 1 will resulting the number of colors as original, number 2 will resulting 256 number of colors, number 3 will not have number of colors reduction process.

I don't look to my own application for long time, but your questions motivated me to update it with the latest technique especially about color reduction method.

Good luck with your project :smile:

bhindi1224 likes this.
  10. unknownnumber

First Language:
    German
    Thank you. :)

Wow, an update would be cool. I've tried a lot of resizers, but this one is by far the best. Good work!

RyanBram likes this.