atma505

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone!
So I'm trying to work out a battle system that would ultimately look a little something like this.

Different attacks/skills will affect different sections of the "grid." Allies would be on a 3x3 grid, same as enemies, and some skills might impact both sides (essentially making this a 3x6 grid, but enemies can't cross into to the bottom 3 rows and vice versa).
Does anyone have any suggestions where and how I might begin implementing this system? The YEP Battle Engine Core doesn't seem to work so well with first-person battles. I've written out some of the pseudocode for all of this but I don't know the first thing about JS.

Pixelent Games

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making a ARPG game right now (like Zelda) but if I ever developed a classic RPG Game, I can see myself using a switch that would turn on the event "Start Battle" or something, then put all those pictures and even more variables for each enemy, HP, and switches for enemies, HP that I would turn off after the variable is over, that's how I would do it.

A battle engine must be the easier solution but you can't customize that much.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Never underestimate the power of Eventing. Yes, it would be a daunting task to event a battle system such as this one, but it's not impossible.
If you put your mind to it, I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to do it. On the other hand, if you have a lot of money, you should certainly be able to find somebody to code something like this for you.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Doing a highly unique battle system like this will most likely require a plugin for optimal performance and better complexity. It is possible, but I haven't seen many "semi-tactical" battle system like I call them. I made one for my game (not for public usage, sorry) in the traditional third person view, but it proves that semi-tactical battle system are a thing.

LadyBaskerville

Hell-poodle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You might be able to use Yanfly's Area of Effect and/or Row Formation plugin to create a system like this. (I haven't used either of them myself, just going from their descriptions.)

atma505

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Doing a highly unique battle system like this will most likely require a plugin for optimal performance and better complexity. It is possible, but I haven't seen many "semi-tactical" battle system like I call them. I made one for my game (not for public usage, sorry) in the traditional third person view, but it proves that semi-tactical battle system are a thing.

Any suggestions on where to best learn the necessary Javascript? Moving the cursor around should be easy enough, it's putting Monsters/Troops into the new system that I'd be most unfamiliar with. Probably the default help file has some necessary stuff so I'll look there next.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@atma505 If you already know javascript, just mess around with the default files, look at the help file (although that didn't help me much). Creating a battle system just takes time and patience.

If you don't know javascript, or aren't sure about your skills about coding such a thing, you could practice by trying to code something simpler (like a menu) and slowly raising the bar until you're comfortable enough to code your battle system.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?
Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3
Aaaaannd published my game's tech demo. :D

Feel free to download and play it. And give feedback!
Hey everyone, we know that the edit bar is missing. We're working on it. You can talk about it in the announcement here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/forum-errors-missing-edit-bar-etc.132715/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yatsekonn