IMPORTANT! People that have been using Kaus's "Asteria Tileset" DO NOT USE IT!!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by Celianna, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanessa

Vanessa Jack of all trades, Master of none Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    he might just didnt know about editting, modifying, a parts or full is treated as the same when no permission to original creator.

i agree with ppl who said he didnt remember take the source is the proof of his unprofessional. (what's with my english i hope you understand XDD)

2. Hayato

Hayato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Why does it feel like that this topic is never going to die out?

It's as hot as it was first posted, golly!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  3. Crackner

Crackner Warper Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    This is kind of shocking to see. I've been putting the tilesets in my non-commercial game since a few weeks but have only created 4 maps (which are sadly 120x120 each). It's a real shame he actually did this. I'll try to find a few new tilesets that I could use and remake the maps.

4. Milena

Milena The woman of many questions Veteran

First Language:
    Irish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

You can just use other overlay plugins :)

5. Anisoft

Anisoft Great Desu King Veteran

First Language:
    English

I believe Hudell made one that uses the same commands as Kaus's. 

6. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry for anyone that lost money or time because of Kaus art theft even though I personally never cared for his art resources. His overlay plugin however I feel is a big loss to the community as a whole. To think that he was on my very limited VIP list of plugin creators whose plugins I thought was 99.9% safe to use in commercial games... right next to Yanfly. I actually thought he seemed like a good guy but as this proofs, you can never be to careful!

@Hudell

Yes please! I don't have a demo to send you but I would very much appreciate if you made such a plugin since "Kaus Ultimate Overlay" plugin was (is) the best plugin for parallaxing according to myself, I really, really liked it. But I don't want to use his plugin after this (even if it seems "fine"). I would rather use a plugin you made Hudell, if you make a good one that is (which I believe you can!). :)

7. Milena

Milena The woman of many questions Veteran

First Language:
    Irish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Victor, Hudell, Soulpour and Galenmereth made one. There's a lot to choose from!

8. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Milena

I appreciate that you're trying to help but Hudell just recently said he haven't made such a plugin yet (but was offering to maybe make one to replace Kaus). In his own words:

I know there are other plugins for overlays but when I looked around for one (many months ago now) I compared and found Kaus to be on top. It might be that some of the other plugin creators you mentioned have something that is on par with his (now spoiled) plugin nowadays, but considering you added Hudell to the list even though he himself stated that he had made no such plugin just a few pages back makes me doubt your word for it.

In any case, If I was in dire need for such a plugin, right here and now, would do my research myself. But I'm not in desperate need of a replacement plugin yet since I might not use MV for my latest game anyway.
    I am however very selective about using plugins from different creators and always try to keep the number of contributors in my projects as close to zero as I can (to avoid any chance of legal headaches and lawsuits). Therefore I was happy to see that Hudell (which is one creator I trust and might have used other plugins from) offering to look into making such a plugin. It would be beneficial to me and my future games and that's why I expressed my gratitude towards him for his offer.

9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just want to note that I've removed all screenshots I've seen of Kaus' explanation of which are his tiles and which aren't. Avery's post is exactly why. I don't want anyone to think they can take him at his word as to what is his and what isn't.

10. jenova3new

jenova3new Horny Heroine Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    i currently checking one of his tileset that safe to use or not (bayer ruin), since i don't want to rework my map yet

well, i can check its similarity with MV RTP, some of them are safe, so i will keep using the safe one on my commercial project

Attached Files:

11. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jenova3new I removed your images, because, once again, I don't want to promote that any of his work is safe to use. If you want to inspect all of the tiles and make choices to still use them, that is your choice.

12. jenova3new

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @mlogan well, im only able to succesfully inspect half of the ruin one, it's quite hard to search the similarity with a heavy color edit he's done, some of them from VXA RTP and MV RTP

13. Mieze

Mieze Maker Freak Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am more than angry . So what is simply unforgivable . And many have put much effort into their project and took advantage of this Tilesets . He has not only stolen things , but time and other people's money . For me he is the greatest object of hate currently . Sorry for the words but why do you need something? This is more than wrong and should be punished even more . I do not think I get my $ 60 back :(

Sry for my bad English..

14. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jenova3new Do not repost the image! I took it out because we are not going to promote any of his work as being safe. If you personally choose to use some of his work, we cannot stop you. But it will not be encouraged here.

15. jenova3new

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @mlogan i am never repost the image  >_>  after you say you delete them to me, im simply answer your post

@Mieze

well, i'm trying to safe my time instead

partial rework on the map is better than full rework, inspecting the one that have any chance to infringe copyright, and remove or change them to the safe one

trying to be optimistic

16. Avery

Avery Sleeping Dinosaur Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @jenova3new

You know that he also stole RTP edits of other artists (like, me?)?! So there is a very high chance that there are pure RTP edits that are safe regarding rips, but not originally made by him and therefore also stolen and you wouldn't be able to give proper credits and follow the terms of these artists.

unity, esby, Dungeonmind and 7 others like this.
  17. Joe Musashi

Joe Musashi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Should the forum admins inform the admins of RPG Maker Web Facebook page or would they already know?
    Everyone should know what has happened so they have the choice of using his tilesets or not.

It would also be good if we can do our best to work out which of his tiles are safe to use and which are unknown.

18. jenova3new

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Avery that's why each individual must inspect his tileset by themself if they want to decrease amount of time they lost (for the one that alreade use them, like me)

well, for me, if i can't found any similiarity with VXA & MV RTP, i would simply change/remove them partialy

it's just like a cancer treatment

19. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here are a couple of things to keep in mind if you are considering continuing use of the "safe" material:

• As Avery and others have pointed out, he has not been completely truthful about what actually is his or not. There is no way to know how much in there is uncredited stolen work.
    • If people were not aware of his work before, they will be now. If you use his work and credit his name, it will turn a lot of people off from your game simply for that fact alone. Do you want to risk the integrity of your game to use these tiles?

unity, Niten Ichi Ryu, Indrah and 2 others like this.
  20. beenbaba

beenbaba Slowly getting there Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's simply not worth the risk as you'll never be 100% sure. Just delete them and rework your maps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.