IMPORTANT! People that have been using Kaus's "Asteria Tileset" DO NOT USE IT!!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by Celianna, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenova3new

jenova3new Weird Heroine Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @mlogan simply do not credit his name on the game, the perpetrator himself already give the permission to discredit him from the game

2. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @jenova3new since you were making edits yourself to check and see if they were actual RTP edits why not use the ones you made? The RTP edits he made were really just adding vines, I'm sure you could do it ^0^

Marsigne likes this.
  3. Macbeth

Macbeth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    the only thing i want to know at this point is about the Overlay Plugin for parallax mapping: i doubt that also the plugin was stolen...it's a totally different thing

terrorchan likes this.
  4. beenbaba

beenbaba Slowly getting there Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @jenova3new People in the communities will know that tileset just by looking at it (mostly) unless proven otherwise.

Most people that won't will be the general public and if you're planning on selling why bother to take the risk of 1.Legal charges 2. Discrediting the actual artists and 3. Potentially dragging your own name through the mud

5. jenova3new

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @terrorchan @beenbaba  well... what i'm trying to do is a decrease the time that i will lost by this, for me... 2 month worth of mapping, 83 part of underground temple of water

im already made battleback for that bayer ruin as well, for me, it's a massive time lost  :unsure:

WF Test 3.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  6. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Yeah, no. As much as I dislike Kaus's weaselly ways of stealing artwork and claiming it as his own, he did create some stuff that was his. To not credit him would mean we're stooping to his low level.

Either way, it's your own choice whether or not you want to continue to use his (stolen) tiles in your game, we're not going to stop you or punish you for it, we're just very disappointed you would.

7. lithkast

lithkast Quirky mini boss Veteran

First Language:
    english
    quick question, are his plugins stolen as well or is it just some of the art assets?  

I ask because I'm using the sprite fix plugin and the ultimate overlay plugin.  I'd like to know they are safe before proceeding with using them.

8. Macbeth

Macbeth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian

As i was saying up here, i highly doubt that something like a big and pretty famous plugin like the Overlay Plugin can be stolen

9. lithkast

First Language:
    english
    while doubtful, it is still possible and if he was caught stealing assets then it is safe to assume that other works of his could also be stolen.  I want to avoid a situation where my game gets taken down or flagged because of stolen assets / have to scrap and rework a huge chunk of my game if it comes out. : /

Just a worried game dev.

10. Macbeth

Macbeth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian

I'm exactly in your situation, as my game is builded with Kaus Overlay Plugin

lithkast likes this.
  11. Lunaros Silvero

Lunaros Silvero Villager Member

First Language:
    English
     @mlogan @Celianna Although I do not use any of his tilesets, I was using his ultimate overlay plugin. Is there any chance this could be ripped, if so, should I find another plugin instead?

12. Katsudoom

Katsudoom Noodle Head Veteran

First Language:
    Unknown

Why not replace the tileset sheet using an application so that some of your already made map will be safe and changed safely..... *grid by grid*

(just a suggestion)......

13. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For those asking about his plugins: To our knowledge, his plugins are his own work. However, Hudell has graciously offered to write one that will be compatible enough to replace it, for those no longer wishing to use it.

Rayhaku808, muramasa, Banquo and 2 others like this.
  14. lithkast

First Language:
    english
    I'll more than likely switch to Hudell's plugin once its available.  its a better safe than sorry approach.  I'd rather avoid all issues like this for my game.  Thank you very much!

Milena and terrorchan like this.
  15. Lunaros Silvero

Lunaros Silvero Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @mlogan thanks for the quick reply, I'll probably stop using anything related to him just to be safe.

16. jenova3new

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    after I discuss it with my internal team, I have to avoid all the possible risks that i would get if I continue to use that asteria tileset, oh well... here it goes... 2 month of work...

Marsigne likes this.
  17. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This is what bothers me the most about the whole affair. What if, a few months down the line, the original creator of some of the tiles wants to use them in a game, or give permission to one of their friends? People will look at the game and think "those tiles are stolen". So even the original creator won't get a fair chance to use them any more, after they put a lot of hard work into making the tiles.

I don't know whether anything can be done about that. I just find it very sad.

Marsigne likes this.
  18. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Aoi Ninami This is why it's so important that we always credit our contributors, and why so many also require you provide a link back to their original sites when referring to their work. When we make derivative works (if terms allow); the necessity becomes greater that we are absolutely clear where the original assets and materials came from. It won't stop deceitful people, but it makes the rest of community more aware as a whole about what belongs to who and able to tell the difference.

19. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hanzo Strikes Back! Now I wonder if his religion will strike back too. The amount of people that defended him and his "state of art" demo game.

Best thing that came from all this: BeKAUS! Hahahahaah! And Hudell work. Salvaging good things from the worst situations.

Stay strong people!

EDIT: Original artists will have a full set of decently created graphics with a same style, not just a bunch of mismatched things. So I don't think it should affect to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
    Marsigne and Parallax Panda like this.
  20. Yanfly

Yanfly Developer

Having looked over his overlay plugin and compared it to a few other well known overplay plugins from MV and scripts from VX/Ace, I can say with about 90% certainty that it's an original work of his. However, a good chunk of that certainty doesn't come from the fact the code doesn't look like it's copied from another, but rather, the odd way the code is written. I'm sure @Hudell knows what I'm talking about.

It should be safe to use Kaus' overlay plugin. That said, I strongly recommend that once @Hudell finishes his own that you switch over as I believe Hudell's quality will be better for your game performance-wise if his past works are any indication.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.