IMPORTANT! People that have been using Kaus's "Asteria Tileset" DO NOT USE IT!!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by Celianna, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright, I've since slept and the thread exploded.

Kaus has created a new account (I didn't realize new accounts that need approval could also PM members, this is something we need to fix), to 'explain' the parts that he stole and the parts that are his. The thing is, he's still not admitting completely what he stole/edit and what is 100% his (you really don't fool me, I've seen plenty of the artwork before, I just can't link to it directly). Therefor, I really do not care for his explanations and his apologies. Also, it's against our rules to ban-evade, so that account is banned as well.

Instead of listening to a liar and an art thief about what's his work and what isn't - you should simply remove the tiles from your game and be done with it. It's unfortunate that many people have been using it and a lot of work is lost, but it's better to remove it all and be safe and respectful towards the artists he simply "google it" from, because they had no idea their work was being used as well.

If you're using them commercially, you must stop using them at once, as you can get into legal trouble.

You're not going to get in trouble for continuing to use his tiles in your game - as long as this remains non-commercial - but it is highly disrespectful towards the artists whose art got stolen. And you simply don't know which parts are his and which parts aren't. So I kindly ask you to stop using them, but there's no punishment if you don't. Please don't listen to his explanations either, he has proven himself to be a liar and he still won't be 100% truthful.

The best thing for Kaus to do right now would be to issue refunds to all the people that bought a subscription from him, and to never set foot in our forum again.

For the people who are now stuck with finding resources to replace them, Avery made a nice list, and I will try and get more MV resources released as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
    Alistair, Rogue Milk, Indrah and 13 others like this.
  2. Hayato

Hayato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I almost purchased a license... thanks for the heads up :D

terrorchan likes this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A slime? I was thinking a rat myself *runs off to rename his first boss*.

Niten Ichi Ryu and mlogan like this.
  4. Hayato

Hayato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not sympathizing with Kaus, but i don't think he deserves to be treated that way :unsure:

Or maybe I'm just a Mr. Goody-goody xD I dunno haha

5. Cel

Cel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    @Celianna Honestly, just saying you've seen the stuff before doesn't really prove anything. I'm not saying you're wrong. Hell I'm leaning towards your side of the argument as is. But accusations without proof isn't enough for a conviction. For the other tiles, everything you listed and some more he's admitted to and promised to remove/redo properly. But vague accusations without any tangible proof isn't the way to go, especially when you don't let him defend himself against it. Now if there's proof then it's a completely different story, but most of it is just your word against his, and that doesn't really hold up in the long run.

6. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    And the stuff he used isn't Public Domain?

7. Roscalin

Roscalin ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    None the less @Cel, This person has plagiarized before under a different alias before. what was to stop Kaus from doing it again only in a more subtle fashion?

Candacis likes this.
  8. Asuras

Asuras Villager Member

First Language:
    English
     @Celianna The tilesets Kaus "repurposed" is already on the net. I doubt this will be the last we will see of them. Once it's on the net, it is out. At the very least we can try find most of the original all creators to credit them. Because the tilesets will be used by someone one way or another somewhere else.

Roscalin likes this.
  9. Hayato

Hayato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well that's actually a point there... I'm glad I only used his tileset on a single map though *blows a sigh of relief*

10. Cel

Cel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    What's to stop anyone from copying someone else? If I get caught shoplifting once it doesn't mean I'll do it every time I go to a store.

Last time was very similar to this. There was a little proof, then people piled on with vague accusations ending up with him being "removed" from the community and shamed because of it. I'm not saying he didn't do it, I'm just saying that when you accuse someone of something you need proof, on matter the circumstances. That's just how it works. It irks me that people are so fast to join the mob instead of taking a step back. Yes, some of his tilesets have to go. That much is clear. All of them? I doubt that, and it's unfair both to him and to whoever bought his stuff to not show the proof needed to remove any doubt about the matter, not to mention not letting him explain himself.

11. Hayato

Hayato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Cel Yet another good point! God why am I even doing this to myself.. Alright that's the end of it, I'm shutting up :popcorn:

Roscalin likes this.
  12. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For some reason i feel an urge to post this topic on every rpg maker group where Kaus is part of.

13. Roscalin

Roscalin ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Guess all we can do is wait till an Art moderator gets on and can asses the situation and make a call.

14. Hayato

Hayato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Don't... If you do that, he'll only be forced to leave those communities ashamed... again...

I'm not saying that what he did was a good thing, it's just that it happened here so I think it's better

to keep it here than divulging it outside. Asking him quietly to remove his stuff would be enough.

Joe Musashi and Banquo like this.
  15. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, how do I get refund since I can't even talk to him here anymore?

I'd like my money back if I can't even make use of the stuff in future.

16. Cel

Cel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Problem with spreading this is that if (when) people realize that most of these claims can't be backed the damage is already done, amplified and cemented in people's minds. So even the legit parts of the tilesets will be seen as something bad even though there's nothing wrong with those parts, which is a huge blow to him (who cares) and also to whoever wants to use his stuff (bigger deal). But since this will be spread one way or another since, well, people enjoy gossip, all we can do is try to create a nuanced discussion until we have proper proof one way or another, and hope people read more than just the first post.

17. Hayato

Hayato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you want I can help you with that, I know a community where you can contact him through and he's constantly online there :)

[EDIT]

I know since I'm also a part of that community xD

Rozel likes this.
  18. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Yes, please. I did send him an e-mail too about it.

I am not even angry or anything and just want to deal with this in a reasonable, quiet manner.

19. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Cel, I don't like how you're trying to defend this art thief. Yes, Kaus's tiles included a lot of his own work, and many edits from the RTP. Perfectly legit. And a lot of his stuff was also ripped from other artists. I may not be able to find the original artwork anymore to prove 100% it's stolen, but I've found the above examples, and simply knowing what his artistic ability is, versus what he's released, plus the obvious fact that it's been a clash of different art styles, goes to show that many of the tiles simply weren't his completely. He googled many textures and used it in his tiles (he admitted to this).

There's no telling what's his and what isn't, that's the point of this entire thread. His tiles had a bunch of rotten apples, so the rest is spoiled as well. Kaus does not get the ability to 'defend' himself, because we do not allow art thiefs to come back to the forum.

Simply put; do not use his tileset if you respect the artists whom he stole from. Continue using it if you don't care. But definitely remove every trace of his set if you're using it commercially!

Contact him through the e-mail you used to send him the money. I hear he's been giving people refunds, so you might be in luck.

unity, Indrah, Lars Ulrika and 5 others like this.
  20. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've sent him an e-mail and mentioned the full price I paid (including the transfer fee). I will update if I get refund or if I have to take this matter further to Paypal and authorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.