IMPORTANT: Possible MV School Rework. Join the Conversation and express your opinion.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Touchfuzzy, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it is pretty clear which version that everyone prefers.

As such, @Rhino and I have a bit of work to do in the background to get the new process set up, and we should be back with a whole bunch of announces on how people can jump in and what we need in the next week or so. Thanks everyone for your opinions!

2. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Yes, #2 is appealing. Maybe you can hybrid a bit and reduce workload somewhat by starting from the beginning with three options:
    Beginner mode on/off
    Story mode on/off
    Browse mode/on/off

This way you can shut off harder lessons for beginners, or not have to work out story details yet, or make it possible to track or not to track progress, thus allowing players to access whatever lesson they wanted.

It would also allow you to grey out story mode for a bit and give you time to work all the transition out.

I agree that having a list of bottom up ideas for beginner tut rooms will help compartmentalize and make it easier for ppl to jump in and help.

A minigame second floor is another way to do the same.

No fuss just gimme the tut and we will fit you in =]

As a thought, if you just link to or screenie some of your great blog posts as placeholders that is not really a bad thing for many important topics. =] My two bits.

Rhino and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  3. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @GrandmaDeb Whilst I like your idea to hybridise the options together, I think it'd create more work starting out with a 'submit what you'd like and we'll work around it' approach. The lessons that were submitted for this round were all really awesome, but were targeting a lot of different areas and difficulty levels with the expectation that it would be the right level for the player. I was having a hard time trying to come up with a way that we could organise the school to help the player know where to go and give them a sense of progression. You can't add gaps in without knowing what's supposed to be filling them.

That's where Touchfuzzy's awesome idea for a "story mode" came in. By organising what lessons need to be made we can create a natural progression, and with everyone working together it's a bonus that we can intertwine a story to make it feel like a more rewarding experience! Though there will be room for people to be flexible and create tutorials on what they'd like/ add their own stories (side quests etc) it'll still be discussed in advance to ensure that it fits. (Which will hopefully save both us and the lesson creators from having to go back and make edits if they made a lesson independently in a way that doesn't quite match up.)

I think it'll also be easier to build things beginner up than to start with a lot of placeholders and say the connecting lessons and story will come here later. To me, that'd feel quite incomplete and maybe be a bit less exciting as a release. Yes, option 2 is going to take a lot longer to put anything out, and it is a lot more work and organising, but I 100% believe that it'll be worth it! With the communities support I think we'll make something really awesome!! :kaojoy:

I would definitely like to see more mini games though! We'll have to tempt @Candacis out of the basement! ;) Mini game lessons are an example of a topic that will probably be a lot looser and easier to fit things around, but they can still be connected to other parts. Is there a shop/shop lesson where you can spend your prizes? Do the disciplinary committee find out you've been gambling? Can you bribe people? A lot of fun things we can think about adding now in option 2 :kaoluv:

4. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I vote for #2 as well. As an avid user of rpg maker for over 10 years, I would LOVE to assist in any way possible. This could be a fun little way of sharing my knowledge of the program and the creative ways I've gone about doing things that were deemed "undoable."

SuperMasterSword and Rhino like this.
  5. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Well, I don't know exactly what is needed to rework everything to fit option 2, but if I can, I'll help out.
    I have some more ideas for minigame lessions.

Rhino likes this.