Importing large sprites properly

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by AllyJamy, Jan 11, 2017.

1. AllyJamy

AllyJamy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So I've made a tank sprite, and naturally the sprite is much larger than a normal character. and I've fitted the sprite into an incredibly large sprite sheet used for a ship. and I can't line them up properly, as when i drive the tank it will swivver from side to side. (I assume this is because they are not lined up properly, even though I have lined them up on the same pixels as the ship. ) 

I'm wondering is there any easy way to do this, so there isn't such a huge gap between the sprites?  Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 11.50.15.png

RetroBoy likes this.
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The ship does move around, so you've probably just made a bad choice in what spritesheet to use to line them up.

You could really reduce the size of your spritesheet significantly - you've got a whole stack of whitespace there that isn't needed.  However, since it's the event, and not the sprite, that controls collisions, it's not really going to cause a problem.

I suggest you add a grid layer that divides your image up into 16x16 squares.  That should make it easier for you to line up each cell within the row.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    We have a section especially for helping with resource creation.  So

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

4. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There really needs to be a big, black and white tutorial for art assets right at the top of this forum. Including sizes, recommended resolution, potentially templates, all that basic stuff because it is not easy to find in the editor and I always feel like I am hit and miss whenever I am spriting. I am still using Paint.net but someone laughed at me for that the other day but I don't know any better alternatives. Its really hard to get things to work when the keys to doing things well are carefully guarded secrets. Its not a popular opinion, but its mine.

Mate, I hope this works out for you -- great sprite!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
    AllyJamy likes this.
  5. AllyJamy

AllyJamy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Absolutely agree man! Needs to be a tutorial for this sort of thing. Paint.net is fine to use, i prefer it over GIMP actually. and thank you! :D  

RetroBoy likes this.
  6. Crabs

Crabs Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    GIMP has a feature that allows you to create and configure a grid.

Image > Configure Grid

View > Show Grid

Also checking "View > Snap to Grid" will help you to align.

RetroBoy likes this.
  7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @RetroBoy You mean like this stickied topic?

Or this one?

:p

RetroBoy likes this.
  8. AllyJamy

AllyJamy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well after a lot of editing on a different sprite with a smaller size, i eventually got it to work. However due to the size of the sprite and the size of the event (one square) theres a load of collision problems. I don't suppose there is any way to fix this? Like make the vehicle take up more than one event space?

rpg scren.png

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

There is nothing at all wrong with using Paint.net.  Its main failing is that there isn't a built-in grid, but there's a plugin that will let you add one.  MS Paint is the only editor you should avoid because it doesn't allow transparency.  If you like Paint.net, keep using it, and tell your friend to stop being such an elitist.

@AllyJamy you will need to look for a script that changes the collision size.  I made a large event script but it's only for non-moving events, so that won't work.  I don't know if there's another one for Ace that caters for large moving events (including the player).

AllyJamy and RetroBoy like this.