Importing RPG Maker VX Ace sprites into MV

Meh

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Meep
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks Ultima2876, I've just been searching how to increase my old VX Ace tiles and luckily found this thread so wanted to show my appreciation in your efforts and I'll be giving this ago.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks for your support! Always appreciated :)

Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wanted to personally thank @Ultima2876 for the amazing algorithm/site he created. It helped a **** ton! Thank you for your amazing contribution.

Wrongful

$ sudo ./help_pls.sh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mogwai gave me a link to this thread after he solved a question of mine about conversion from VXA to MV, and I have to say, this looks impressive. I tried it with a character sheet that I had, and it turned out quite a bit better than I expected! (The original sheet was pretty low in quality, so the final product wasn't perfect either, but that's more my fault.)
However, I'm not the most technical person in the world, but I have to ask: Based on what I know about neural nets, how exactly did you manage to take something like that from one website to another(Unless Waifu2x is open source)? I've heard they're pretty complex.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@mogwai gave me a link to this thread after he solved a question of mine about conversion from VXA to MV, and I have to say, this looks impressive. I tried it with a character sheet that I had, and it turned out quite a bit better than I expected! (The original sheet was pretty low in quality, so the final product wasn't perfect either, but that's more my fault.)
However, I'm not the most technical person in the world, but I have to ask: Based on what I know about neural nets, how exactly did you manage to take something like that from one website to another(Unless Waifu2x is open source)? I've heard they're pretty complex.
Hi!

Well, I'm a contract web developer primarily in my day job :) You're right, neural networks are quite complicated (and very interesting!) -- luckily, I didn't have to dive into that at all. Waifu2x is actually open source, but it relies on GPU processing to work at a decent speed - if you run it on a regular CPU, it's simply too slow. That means you need special server hardware to run Waifu2x... my solution, being a web developer, is to piggyback off of the official Waifu2x site here: http://waifu2x.udp.jp/ I use it like an API, using a HTTP POST request.

My script makes a request during its processing to that site, and gets the result from there. After that, it does a bunch of stuff itself using ImageMagick to improve the result further (tailored to RPG Maker - things like scaling the image twice with different algorithms and combining certain sections that it knows will cause 'seams' if used with regular Waifu2x - here, I'm using the advantage of knowing the dimensions and layout of the RPG Maker sheets to our advantage). It does some other stuff too, as well as all the queue management for the jobs - Waifu2x tends to ignore requests if too many are sent, so it only ever sends one job every 10 seconds (I also think this is fairer on the original Waifu2x developer - I don't want to hammer his site with requests! That said, I imagine MVFU counts for a tiny proportion of the bandwidth use, as Waifu2x is very popular!).

If you have any other questions let me know :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

HexMozart88 wrote on Citali's profile.
Kikuo!
The lack of bike trails and bungee jump areas in this city should be criminalized.
SF_Actor3_8 added!

A recent screenshot that I also shared on Reddit and the likes, links in my signature if you want to follow :)

I am starting to get a hang of this parallaxing mapping business. Still inexperienced, but at least I can be a lot more creative now :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fish_Fish