Importing sound issue

123uconduit

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I need a phoenix sound for my game (personal use) and I found one off the internet and downloaded it. I saved it as .ogg but the sound won't play when I try to add it to attacks. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Kyoku

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you convert it to .ogg? Just renamed it to .ogg? Or did it come in .ogg?

123uconduit

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kyoku I renamed it to .ogg It did not come as .ogg

Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
Or better yet, use Audacity.

You can import that (not truly broken) file straight into Audacity, and export it as .ogg, and it will work in RM proper.

I've done this with several 'broken' files. Of course, by changing the file extension manually, there's no guarantee that the sound quality has remained unaffected...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I renamed it to .ogg It did not come as .ogg
To help you understand what you did wrong here, I'll give you another example of what you did here.

Let's say you're in a different country and buy a book in let's say "spanish" and give it to a friend who can only read english, and he comes to you "I cannot read that". And you try to solve that by writing on the book cover "this book is in english". That doesn't help your friend because the inside of the book is still spanish, it doesn't change its content just because you wrote "english" on its cover.

The file extension is a fast way to tell the computer what the contents of the file are - changing it does not change the contents, that is why the computer usually gives you a warning if you do that. And the same way the book needs to be translated to be in english, the file needs its contents converted to ogg before it can work as ogg.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That is quite possibly the best explanation for why simply renaming files doesn't make them work with the new extension that I've ever heard.

123uconduit

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you to everyone! I really appreciate all the great feedback. @Andar a very good description, very much appreciated my friend.

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
Renaming the file can't solve this problem, you had better use a converter to do it. I know hd video converter factory that works as both downloader and converter. You can download the sound and convert it to ogg at one go. It also can convert dts to ac3 and many other lossless audios.

eBuddy

Princess of Destiny
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've understood that .ogg is for Mac and .m4a is for other platforms. Since all the sounds featured with the software came in both formats, I converted the sound into both formats just to be safe. :kaopride:

I used this site for my audio conversions: http://www.convertfiles.com

Remember not to include underscores [ _ ] or dashes in the filename! This usually causes problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

... finally, I think I'm making progress with this lookwise. and I even have custom ATB gauges.
Just recieved FF7 Remake~!!!!
Fantasy medieval western europe is fun and all but maybe I should set a story somewhere else for once...
Customizing window... is like a never ending job...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afsdf