Importing Tilesets

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Anonymously, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    If there's already a thread for this then you can refer me to there. If not, then can someone explain it here: I am trying to import a custom tileset that is 768x576 pixels like some other tilesets that are already in RPG Maker MV. However, when I try to put it in, it always comes out all squished together and doesn't even give me every tile. I attached my result and my tileset that I am testing. The tileset is incomplete at the moment.

Attached Files:

2. Rubescen

Rubescen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From what I see in your sample you haven't formatted the tiles correctly for A2 so they are getting jumbled. I'd suggest taking a look at the asset standards in the help file, which shows how tiles link. But in general the A2 tiles are 2 horizontal by v6 vertical (98x144) for each tile. The top left is how it looks in the editor only. The right deals with connections, and the bottom four are the various edges and the middle of that will cover everything in between.

3. Anonymously

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    This might be a dumb question, but where is the help file? I'm new to RPG maker (obviously) so I'm not really understanding.

4. Rubescen

Rubescen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Press F1 in the editor, or Help-> Contents -> documentation -> Asset Standards -> Tile Sets.

Alternatively, just open up one of the RTP tilesets and take a look at how they are formatted/model over the top.

Nice Pixel Art, btw.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    basically, there are six different formats for tilesheets, and each format only works correctly if it is placed into the slot it is formatted for.
    Your Tileset is NOT formatted in a way that it would fit into the A2 slot, that's why it doesn't function.
    In fact it is not formatted into any of the six allowed formats, it might work as a B-E sheet but even there it would have problems.

The formats are not only different sizes, they are also different in which tiles have to be placed where, with A2 being an autotile sheet for autotiles of 96x144 pixels....

6. Anonymously

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thanks for the compliment. My sister actually drew the tilesets for me. According to her, she found a tileset online and used its dimensions when she drew hers, which was originally 512x608 pixels. However, that size didn't work either which is why it is now 768x576 since that was what an A2 tileset already in RPG Maker came with. They both came out squished regardless of the size.

Edit: So what are the requirements for the other formats and sizes in order for it to work? Is there a list somewhere that explains each one?

7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When you say "squished", do you mean it does not all show? A1-A4 tile sheets do not show the whole sheet in the editor. It only show a piece of the full tile.

The tiles also do not appear to be formatted correctly for an autotile. I suggest both you and your sister read through this blog: http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

While it is written for Ace, everything but the dimensions works for MV. Where Ace is 32x32 (and 16 x 16 when halved), MV is 48 x 48 and 24 x 24, halved.

8. Anonymously

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I read the tutorial, but just to clarify, you need to make a 96x144 space with the lower half being the actual tile, the top left being a the tile that you see in the maker tile selection, and a medium sized one for something else? What about the tiles on the tileset below those that you can use for walls? What if I wanted to make a house or something like my original tileset? What about the other layers, such as B and C that have statues?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    that is why we referred you to the help file as well.
    There are a lot of different tiles for different uses, and each position on any of the tilesheets can only be used for one specific kind of tile.
    for example the animated tiles on A1 are 292x144 pixel or the wall tiles are 96x96 pixel, and decorations are 48x48 pixel.

As long as the different tiles are placed on the correct positions on the tilesheets, the engine will automaticall sort them out - but you need to check where on the six different tileformats which tile belongs.

10. Anonymously

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Ok. I understand. I'll try it out. Thank you all for your help.

Edit: I tried it. It works!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019