JtheDuelist

Your Friendly Nieghborhood Stygian Zinogre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I want my RPG to be as bug free as possible, like any self-respecting dev, but all the bugs in my demo people keep mentioning to me are all issues caused by the packing process (crash when using Settings menu, weird inability to save, etc). I've been using Enigma Virtual Box to pack my RPG, but does anyone know a different way to pack the files into a standalone exe other than Enigma Virtual Box, preferably a method that is easy to use but doesn't trigger these packing bugs?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seconding this question.
I believe I've tried Enigma in the past. But it could cause problems due to inavility to read files, from what I understand...

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't had a problem with enigma box being unable to read files yet but the save issue is a known bug. When you zip the .exe you have to make a www folder to throw in with it with a save older inside that. I find it easy to take a copy of the save folder from the deployed version before you package it because it will have to rpgconfige files. After boxing the package make a new folder called www and then inside that paste the save folder. Now when you compresse your exe for uploading include the recently created www folder with it.

JtheDuelist

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I haven't had a problem with enigma box being unable to read files yet but the save issue is a known bug. When you zip the .exe you have to make a www folder to throw in with it with a save older inside that. I find it easy to take a copy of the save folder from the deployed version before you package it because it will have to rpgconfige files. After boxing the package make a new folder called www and then inside that paste the save folder. Now when you compresse your exe for uploading include the recently created www folder with it.
Let me see if I am understanding this correctly- all I have to do is to make a duplicate www folder containing only the "save" folder that lives externally to the standalone exe like in these screenshots to fix the "no saving" bug?:
ExportTry1.png ExportTry2.png

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes but inside the save folder is some kind of configure file. Works for me anyway.

JtheDuelist

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Yes but inside the save folder is some kind of configure file. Works for me anyway.
The only file "save" has is one called rpgglobalsave. This seems to allow it to save progress and prevents Settings from crashing, but I'll have to test it on a different PC tomorrow to see if that fully fixes everything.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome sauce, I sent you a pm about something kind of related. Hope it helps.

JtheDuelist

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@OnslaughtSupply I finally got around to testing the external "www/save" folder fix on my other smaller, faster Windows 7 PC (I would use RPG Maker MV on it, but its resolution is too small for the maker part itself) and this did indeed not only solve the "no save bug" but somehow also fixed the "Settings use = crash" bug.

While we are on the topic of packing games, though, another question I can't seem to find an answer for online: I know I have to use Enigma to pack the game into a standalone exe, but do I have to do something similar for Mac exportations? I was thinking of downloading Oracle VM VirtualBox to test Mac exportations since I lack a Mac computer.
EDIT: Forget Oracle- turns out that needs a pirated Mac BIOS. Not doing that. I'd rather ask someone with a Mac to test the export for me instead.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished composing a boss battle theme!
Scripted a multi-variable weather system that randomizes wind speed, cloudiness, rain, fogginess, etc, while attempting to realistically account for interactions between them (e.g. wind speed affects fogginess, cloudiness affects rain, etc), the current weather pattern, and the player's biome e.g. swamp, beach, etc. Now I "just" have to tie visuals and sounds to the variables so stuff actually happens...
I'm having a headache balancing the combat using flat defense so I'm gonna use percentual armor, in this pic, Simon has 16 on Defense which means all the incoming damage will be reduced by 16% this will ease my burden a bit.
!Have a nice day everybody¡
SO glad they patched outer worlds for switch! I can finally play it! Weird that other peeps are still having issues. I know it was really chugging on my lite when it first came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowned_gaming_youtube