In a Dark Place

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by jamalMV, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hey yall, I just want to thank you for being transparent. Almost every one of you have experienced or struggled in a way I can wholeheartedly relate to, and while my heart goes out to you for your trials, It does encourage me to know that Im not the sad weirdo who just dosent "get it".

@jamalMV- And your no different :) . I wish I had something profound and helpful to lighten your load, but to be honest, Im still slugging along myself. But I will say, years ago I had a very dark time of my own that lasted roughly 3 years. I was wrecked with such crippling anxiousness that I could barely get out of bed to eat. I slept so many days away. At one point, I wanted to end it....I didint think it would ever end, the feelings of loneliness and directionless and fears my mind seemed to fabricate all on its own to torment me. But....it did. And it didint happen all at once, It was a very gradual process I barely even noticed, and It took me realizing a few things. As cold as it may sound, eventually we do have to move on. In my case regardless of how anxious about life I felt I realized if I didint get out of bed and at least try to make something different...well, then thats exactly what I'd get, nothing different. I had to realize that I couldn't control other people (at least, not really...) and that I was not responsible for their mistakes (even if their very close, like, even your parents...and to be totally honest, Im still kinda working on that one), and I know that sounds like a real 'duh' kinda thing, but I wonder how many of us either do or have tailored our behaviors in order to 'appease' at our deficit, at one time or another. Like I said, Im still rowing along up river like you, I hope you find your light at the end of your tunnel soon too.                    

HexMozart88 and mlogan like this.
  2. Ice Dragon

Ice Dragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Start greco-roman wrestling. It helps me get over my issues.) I believe that when the blood flows faster inside your body from participating at a physical activity it takes away all the toxins that create depression. I hope that I don't sound like an Ogre.

3. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Exercise is a great tool for dealing with depression but it is not a cure.  I am really glad that it was the only tool you needed, Ice Dragon, but please be careful about assuming it will work the same for everyone else.  Remember that there are multiple causes for depression and not everyone has the capability to exercise enough to make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2016
  4. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For me, shockingly enough, exercising makes me feel worse because I'm uncoordinated and I get depressed because I'll never even be a decent athlete, so why must these exercises taunt me?!  ;_;  (I'm calm, I'm calm) 

kaukusaki likes this.
  5. jamalMV

jamalMV Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Hi everyone. sorry for not replying right away i have only just got around to reading all of your replies because i have been having really bad sleeping patterns lately but thank you so much for coming forward and helping me through what seems like the toughest time in my life.

kaukusaki, Scinaya and Vox Novus like this.
  6. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Happy to have communicated with you; I understand bad sleeping patterns as well. Some nights don't sleep at all, others I sleep in too late. Maybe its the vampire in me...

Hopefully something here helped and encouraged you to hang in there.

A good quote from Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin: “Let me give you some advice, lovable. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.”

Again, don't be ashamed of the problems or issues you have; instead embrace them, accept them and seek to better yourself and be the best you can be even if that means reaching out for help through therapy, medication, etc...

7. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Something that also helps me continue is thinking, "if I were to die, I can't work on my game anymore. If I were to die, I don't even have a chance at becoming a decent person. And if I were to die, I'd only be proving every bad thing I ever thought, every bad thing anyone else has said, to be correct. And I can't let that happen." 

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
    kaukusaki likes this.
  8. Corfaisus

Corfaisus RTP Enthusiast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know exactly what you're going through. What's worked for me is actually pursuing a community like a church and volunteering whenever possible so that I feel like I'm contributing to something bigger than myself. I stay in contact with these people so that I'm staying social (not an easy task as I've always been a wallflower) and regularly attend meetings whenever possible.

I recently had to close a door to another community I was a part of for seven years because I realized it wasn't a place I felt I could consciously support any longer, so I've been under some grief from that, but knowing that I've got options elsewhere (even here) has kept me from going under.

kaukusaki and Sharm like this.