Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bug: In a newly created tileset, the boat can travel through A2 ground tiles
  • In the existing tilesets, if you make a lake and place the boat there its movement is blocked by the grass around. But if you make a new tileset (tested with tileset ID 20 for example) the passability is broken and the boat can travel through land.
  • The bug was originally found by an MV user in MV, but for curiosity I tested and found the same in MZ.
  • Link to the original topic on MV for pictures: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...llow-boats-to-go-over-a2-ground-tiles.138974/

To recreate the problem, increase tileset max in database to 20 or so, go to a higher tileset ID, add outside_a1 and outside_a2 into their slots, set outside_a1 to impassable in the same way as in the original tileset.
Any map with a lake and boat will behave correctly if using the original outside tileset, but have the boat pass on the grass if the tileset is switched to the new test tileset.

Possible issues with this feature?
Issues that might arise from this feature:
  • If this bug isn't solved, the use of boat and ship will remain limited to the original tilesets

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Andar I just did this but the only difference is I copy pasted Outside to Slot 20 so I don't have to worry about collisions and it doesn't happen.

EDIT: Huh that's really interesting. If you do it like this there's no issue. It's only when you start from scratch huh 1627545196361.png

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, I don't have a video capture setup, I can only give screenshots
boatmove.png

but the only difference is I copy pasted Outside to Slot 20
I confirmed this as well:
if you copy&paste, the boat passability settings are correctly copied.
but if you try to manually setup passabilities, the boat behaves as if there is no land at all.

Since the boat/ship passabilities is NOT directly accessable in the tileset settings that is still a problem however, because that means you can never setup the boat and ship correctly if you try to make a different tileset.

EDIT: ninja'd

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
no, I don't have a video capture setup, I can only give screenshots

I confirmed this as well:
if you copy&paste, the boat passability settings are correctly copied.
but if you try to manually setup passabilities, the boat behaves as if there is no land at all.

Since the boat/ship passabilities is NOT directly accessable in the tileset settings that is still a problem however, because that means you can never setup the boat and ship correctly if you try to make a different tileset.

Actually. Somethjing weird is happening too.
Try restarting your MZ editor and try again with your newly created tileset. The bug no longer happens. Or at least I have no idea what I did but that bug just outright doesn't happen to me after that.

EDIT: You can try here and see if you can emulate the bug:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try restarting your MZ editor and try again with your newly created tileset. The bug no longer happens. Or at least I have no idea what I did but that bug just outright doesn't happen to me after that.
you must have done something else, because the bug still happens in my case - restarting MZ didn't change anything.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I downloaded your project, made an additional tileset, manually set every option of the new tileset to be exactly like the two variants of the testing tileset you made.
and then the error was still there with the new tileset, even if it isn't there with the previous variant of the from scratch tileset.

try to replicate the solution with an additional new tileset from scratch - you must have done some additional steps to solve the problem, and we need to find out what those additional steps are.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I downloaded your project, made an additional tileset, manually set every option of the new tileset to be exactly like the two variants of the testing tileset you made.
and then the error was there with the new tileset, even if it isn't there with the previous variant of the from scratch tileset.

try to replicate the solution with an additional new tileset from scratch - you must have done some additional steps to solve the problem, and we need to find out what those additional steps are.

It's in the video at 3:10 ~ 3:20

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's in the video at 3:20
the video shows that the tileset now works, but I don't see which steps you did to make it work - because everything you did there is something I did as well, and it didn't work with the third test tileset even in your project.
That is why I asked you to try to reprodruce the solution with still another tileset.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
the video shows that the tileset now works, but I don't see which steps you did to make it work - because everything you did there is something I did as well, and it didn't work with the third test tileset even in your project.
That is why I asked you to try to reprodruce the solution with still another tileset.

You have to set the tileset to the working tileset before closing the project. Then set it to the from scratch tileset again after opening and it should be fixed.

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It looks like the editor might be failing to initialise the tileset flags for certain tiles when a tile sheet is added? I noticed a lot of null flags in $dataTilesets, which only seem to be present in tilesets that have this bug.

My test steps in Archeia's demo project:
  • Create a new tileset from scratch (Outside_A1, Outside_A2)
  • Change passabilities for the first two rows to X (so the boat can pass)
  • Set the map's tileset to the new one
  • Save and test: boat can go anywhere
  • File -> Close Project
  • File -> Open Project
  • (Do not save here!) Test: boat can still go anywhere
  • Save and test again: boat can only move on the water

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that would explain why this problem has not been noticed before: a lot of people close, reopen and save their project multiple times over development, accidentally repairing the missing flags with that sequence before ever encountering the bug.

should still be reported to Kadokawa for a true bugfix in some future version, especially since it was already carried over from MV to MZ.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.
Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?
My friend just gave me chocolate milk at lunch today! My day is now 1000x better. Yay, choco milky!! :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerardo_ita