In a RPG? Do you have prefered sexes for story?

Do you have a sex preference on the main character É

• (Am Man) and stories with a Woman main character

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • (Am Man) and stories with a Man main character

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • (Am Woman) and stories with a Woman main character

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • (Am Woman) and stories with a Man main character

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This doesn't matter , this does not influence my play immersion

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I grew up with Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy and I can honestly say I've never really noticed which sex I'm playing as. In FFXII you can choose, and it didn't really affect my gameplay whichever I went with.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
After having played so much male MC games, whenever the game allows me to choose sex, I always go with female nowadays. It also gives a sense of freshness somehow, being male in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:

watermark

Waiting for that RM vibe to come back.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It doesn't matter if it's male or female for me, but the avatars have to look good. XD

I remember playing some rpg in the past that had totally ugly male and female portraits. It just broke the immersion for me. Also for games such as Icewind Dale I like to swap in custom portraits I like.

People keep on saying how there's not a lot of female characters in rpg's. Maybe in AAA games, but is it just me? I think there's actually MORE female leads than male leads in RPG Maker games these days. I may be wrong, but I think most of the more popular RPG Maker games star females.

Gin

The djinn
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Although I would like to say both, only after reading this did I realize that I definitely prefer male role characters. >_>

I can play with both, but when I dream of playing or remember playing something, it always goes to the male character of a game. :unsure:

This being said, go for the girls, it can never go wrong. The more the merrier(all types, shapes, races and colors)! :kiss:

A game without strong female characters is like the Ocean without fishes... :p

LightningLord2

Psionic Bird Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
If somebody wants to make a statistic, go on RPG Maker Web and count through 50-100 recent releases or so and note down what gender the main character has (male, female, other, player's choice). It would be a more reliable method than just going from assumptions. I think what could play into this is that if only ~10-15% of the protags were female, they'd be more notable and memorable than male protags simply because there aren't as many.

DarkChronos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@LightningLord2

I dont have much free time at the moment but i took the first page of completed games on this forum and counted the genders.

5 female protagonists.

17 male protagonists(Including 1 cat)

and 2 where the party is random.

Sorry i couldnt get more info.

mara_vertin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I ask a friend of mine what he preferred and his answer was: I choose women because I don't want to stare at a guys ass. Well... O boy... XD

I choose man (I'm a women by the way and no it has nothing to do with the butt). My favorite games have all male main characters. And they're all more or less the helpful savior kind of guy.

But there are many female side characters I love tremendously like Alice or Karin from Shadow Hearts / Covenant or Tifa and Aerith from FF7. I don't think it would spoil my fun when you made them the main character. Or would it?

Take FFX for example. I love Tidus. But Yuna would have been a great main as well. But when she became the protagonist in FFX-2 I couldn't really enjoy the game because with female characters they had to pull of that silly costume system. As if you had to make her more interesting or something.

That's one thing. Another is that the female leads are often extremly though, hard and straightforward (what to me most of the time sounds just harsh and rude), a lonesome wolf with well hidden emotions. In my opinion that works well for a side character but for my main I want emotions. I want a certain weakness, the right amount of vulnerability that came trough from time to time (not when the game is almost over and I haven't build any emotional connection). They tend to reduce this to a minimun when the main character is a woman. As if she must be harder then every man.

So I got the feeling if you want to create a really interesting female lead, create a side character - and make her the main. :)

Myst88

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Honestly, I prefer playing females. If the game gives you a choice of what gender you play as I always pick a female.

But that's not to say I don't enjoy games with a male protagonist. I certainly don't think less of games if I have to play as a man. I guess being a woman myself I tend to prefer female characters.

Rhaeami

The Sleepy-Eyed One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I enjoy a game more if I can relate to the main character personality-wise. Over time this has translated into me picking female characters by default, because as far as stereotypes go, they match me better (and the stereotypes always seem to pop up, even if just in voice clips for MMO avatars). If I pick a male character, I'm always worried they'll go all hyper-macho and rawr at some point in the game, and make me feel bad for playing as them. :kaocry:

Of course, when I'm proven wrong it's a nice surprise, but I can count the number of male characters I've been able to relate with on my fingers. Just one hand, if we're talking main characters. :kaosigh:

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Interesting week. Lots of stress and anxiety especially on Tuesday but still got thru it. How is everyone doing?
I was pleased with how the little ... whatever those square bits like upside-down turrets on the skirt are? I like how they turned out. Here's a little ranger/bandit/archery enthusiast to model it:

TestChara-08.gif

I'm calling her Robin because obviously.
Just downloaded the demo and boy howdy are my arms tired (???) :kaohi:
I just watched a trailer for the upcoming 2021 JRPG Fantasian. They demonstrated an interesting mechanic where random encounters can be sent to a stockpile instead of fighting them right away, which can be emptied in a single battle string at the player's choice of timing.
"The pleasure from the senses seems like nectar at first, but it is sour as the toxin in the end." -Kirshna

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drags4g