In case someone is interested... Starcraft is now free

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Astel, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    kaukusaki, TheTitan99 and Dalph like this.
  2. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I know what I'm downloading.

3. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    How very cool!

Do you have any idea what the strategy behind this decision was? Are they trying to commercialize it as a Free-to-Play business model, or perhaps are they dropping the commercialization entirely as a brand-builder (or gift to gamers) as they don't think they'll earn much more in the future anyway and they want gamers to experience SC? Maybe something else entirely?

This reminds me a lot of when Tesla Motors released their proprietary patents into public domain - no doubt an extremely altruistic move from a company led by a man who's already made it, but also arguably a solid business strategy in the sense that moving the whole Electric Cars industry forward could benefit his company, even if it benefits his competitors even more (sure, now they only have a slice of the pie, but the whole pie is much bigger).

kaukusaki likes this.
  4. Trihan

Trihan Speedy Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I imagine the strategy is "We've probably made as much money as we're going to on the original StarCraft: maybe if we open it up to a wider audience people will like it enough to buy StarCraft 2."

kaukusaki likes this.
  5. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Well they are planning to sell a remaster. By releasing the original free, they get people to try it, and maybe buy the remaster.
    Now, for me the real question is: what is the strategy by making a sc1 remaster while sc2 is still running a strong competitve scene?
    My guess would be they're trying to cater to the south korea market, to bring more aesthetically pleasing brood war competitions (that are still quite the thing over there) because sc2 is slowly losing appeal at the competitive level.

6. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    They will sell the remaster, so they will give away the old game as a good will act. I heard that it's going to have cross play with the remaster, as the gameplay will be the same, but it's a rumor.

kaukusaki likes this.
  7. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I could've sworn in one of their statements that they said remastered can cross play with the original but I can't seem to find it. I did read that you can pair your original account to the remastered version to carry over your win/loss statistics.

I was planning on doing my yearly playthrough of StarCraft 1's campaigns again but I might just wait until the remastered release comes out in the summer.

EDIT: Think I the article: https://esports.yahoo.com/blizzards...ke-post-launch-plans-confirmed-053022518.html
    Seems like that confirms it.

8. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ooh I can finally get a legit copy ;D