In-Game purchases?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Hyouryuu-Na, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced girl who is on a break Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla/Bengali
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm on an extended vacation from game making right now *sad smiles* I have this disturbingly important exam coming up so all I can do is 'think' and plan stuff about the game which I have no idea if I'll be able to implement later (lol maybe I just enjoy thinking about these stuff) So a while ago, I had this weird thought "what about in-game purchases?" This has always fascinated me and i always thought it's a cool way to earn money. Even if you make a free game you can actually lure people into paying for extra features like a head start, unlocking levels, skills,equipment etc. I won't be adding in-game purchases for my game, though. But regardless, what do you guys think about this? Can someone add in-game purchases to their game even if they use resources that aren't theirs?

2. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If the resources state you can use them in commercial games then yes you can add in game purchases but once you add those purchases the game technically becomes commercial. In other words if you're making money from your game (no matter how you make the money) and you use resources that tell you you can't use it in "commercial projects" unless you buy a license from them, then you are breaking the resources terms.

Hyouryuu-Na likes this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Commercial RPGMaker Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

4. MaGicBush

MaGicBush Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know I personally tend to avoid such drivel. I pay up front and expect a full product. I doubt I'm alone in that line of thought seeing the backlash alot of AAA games get lately. Throwing this on a free game is not so bad though, but a paid game that adds this stuff seems wrong IMHO.

Saying that there is unfortunately a market for it obviously or it wouldn't be so popular. But Just know that people with my attitude won't even try a game with such schemes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I also prefer to pay for a game and get the game.

I wouldn't get a game if I had to pay for it AND had to pay for in-game purchases. I might get the game if I had to pay for it and the in-game purchases weren't mandatory AND the player isn't penalised (heaps of grinding to get money for good equipment, takes much, much longer to do things) because they don't want to pay more.

But freemium with in-game purchases seems to be the way a lot of people are going these days. Again, as long as the in-game purchases are not mandatory.

But yes, as soon as you intend to make money from your game (whether you actually do make money or not), it becomes a commercial game, so if you ever plan on doing this, start from the outset using just resources that are provided for commercial use.

Hyouryuu-Na likes this.
  6. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Ingame purchases are a No-Go for me, wether its a paid game or free.