In learning to create resources, is it better to focus, or embrace everything?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Gabrelik, May 15, 2017.

1. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi!

So, lately I've been having tons of fun creating resources both on the Request thread, and in commission form. While I've been learning so much, it occurred to me that it might be better to focus on just one particular resource specialty and learn to excel in it. After all, there are so many wonderful success stories in this community doing that very thing. Then again, tackling so many opportunities in rapid succession (most especially projects entirely new in concept) has been a fun and interesting way to maintain that hunger that drives us to learn new things. It staves off complacency, I suppose, while adding yet another skill to your repertoire.

I guess the question I would pose is, what do all of you think? Either established or aspiring artists, do you prefer to work in a niche, slowly perfecting a particular art? Or, do you find it better to embrace any project, and learn to make that skill your own as well?

For me, it seems to come down to whether I want to be extremely good at one thing, or just decent at quite a few.

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Resource creation doesn't belong in General Discussion which is more about themes/aspects of game making in general as they might apply to several games. We do, however, have a forum which deals specifically with resource creation.

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This wasn't really intended as a need for any kind of resource support, but more a general discussion about preferences and thoughts on the subject of art as it relates to resource creation. If it needs to be moved, however, fair enough.

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's not clear but this section is for discussion about resources too.

I've been doing a bit of both. I have a main focus on RPG style pixel tile sets, but I have side projects where I take the time to explore other styles and types. There is some truth to the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none", focus will help you get a type of polish you can't really get any other way, but you also run the risk of becoming stagnant. Exploring new ideas, always learning, always experimenting, that will keep things interesting and make it so that you're always improving and never getting stuck.

5. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So far that's about how it has been. I've been trying to tackle a little bit of everything, and it's really helped me break out of my normal art niche. Definitely a lot to be said for refining a particular skillset though. If nothing else, it is allowing me to see which aspects I really enjoy, and then those I'm not so fond of working on.

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The nice thing is that there's a lot of crossover in art skills. Getting good at pixeling grass or rocks helped me understand how their general form worked and to paint them. Things like lighting, contrast, balance, focus, are universal no matter what type of art it is. I think if you are having trouble understanding a concept in your normal artistic format and style it can be easier to learn about by coming at it from another genre, especially if that genre is more dependent on that particular concept to get a good end result.

7. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Everyone's got their one thing they're good at - but I don't know a single artist that only draws one particular thing. Most of them are versatile enough to do plenty of other things or styles, but they're mostly known for being good at a certain niche.

For example, people know me for my tilesets for RPG Maker, but they don't know I also draw characters and even backgrounds.

Basically, you should always try to do draw stuff that is outside of your comfort zone!

8. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That approach certainly keeps things interesting. Excellent point to you as well, Sharm. Sometimes a look from a different perspective is enough to help you understand a tougher concept.

I tend to stick with what is comfortable, and while I haven't quite found a particular niche that I am better at than others, I do enjoy making people happy. The Resource Request thread has been an excellent place to go when I am stuck in a rut like that. There is always somebody needing something that I've never tried before. May not always come out how they like, but practice makes perfect, and letting somebody else set the criteria for what you're creating is a great way to get past a block.

I suppose there is no real right answer here. Art is intuitive, (at least to some extent) after all, and it only makes sense that you should take inspirtation as it comes. I was mostly curious if others wrestled with this from time to time. I appreciate your opinions. :)