In Search of Dragons

Discussion in 'Arum Games' started by Indrah, Mar 30, 2012.

1. TengHu

TengHu The Handyman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I played this game for a few minutes before I went to school this morning. This game is very fun. I just had a few difficulties with the game.

My first problem is that there isn't a quest log so I didn't know where to go sometimes.

My second problem is that I wasn't prompted when to move which made it a bit difficult differentiating between cutscene and gameplay.

My last problem is there is bad transitioning. Transitioning from one scene/mood to another is very quick and doesn't give me time to process what's going on.

Besides these, the demo was very good. Keep it up. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Asterisk

Asterisk アステリ (ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ♪ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I finally got to play a bit of the the demo (due to time constraints)~

It was fun so far! I loved the characters haha (For Owen, in his status is said "ritch".. did you mean rich? :) )

The bgms were enjoyable~ it sure takes me back~~

I can't wait for more! Keep up the great work!

3. mobychan

mobychan CodeMaster Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hey there ^^

playing the demo and found just a little mistake:

The description of the Aoife Herb tells me, thatit recorvers 30% HP and cures Bleeding...

but the table next to it tells me, that it's 50% HP, and if I'm not wrong it cures Poison Oo?

Maybe I'm the one wrong here, but just wanted to tell you ^^

EDIT:

ok, found something else...

The stinking sap should revive one ally with 25% HP, but when I use it, the character has only 1 HP...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  4. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thaks for all the comments and bug reportz people! Keep 'em comiiing! (Feedback is to me what brains are to zombies \(@w@)/

I will probably (PROBABLY) not post the demo with the fixes before the final release, because most are item related and not game-breaking, but I'm fixing them, don't you worry :3

@Cass: I fixed the speed (in the public demo)! It was my mistake in the end TT^TT One of the intro events set the player speed to a crawl OTL

@Servantb7: I will be honest. Back when i first wrote the title I was OH SO NOT SURE if it was "of" or "for", but "for" sounded nicer so I went with it.

While a few people have told me about it, no one has said it to be COMPLETELY wrong, and frankly, it's a pain to change all the images, considering it would break the supporbars some kind people have put on for me ; ; So unless it creates a big problem I'll stay with "for".

@rgangsta: A couple of other people got lost, so I'm guessing I'll add a log (don't see the point myself, but then again I don't count. I always know what comes next :I)

One of the places people get confused on makes me insane: the last room in the cave where you must go all the way up. I already showed them pointing to the dayum wall, and people still get lost OTL

About the move after scenes...the solution would fade in/outs, and I don't want to spam them costantly with every scene, nor has anyone else had a problem with that yet.

And the transitioning...well, you're the first one to ever comment on that, so I'll wait for other opinions on the matter.

@Asterisk: Already fixed Owen's typo. I always make that one OTL

@mobychan: Thanks for the reports ; ; Thats the sort of thing I keep missing by myself. Will get fixed.

5. MagicMagor

MagicMagor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Really nice little game. I actually loved the small dialogues in the beginning between Owen and his bodyguard =).

However i had one little moment, where i think something could be fixed (In spoiler for those wo haven't played the demo yet):

In the short span, where you only have the female character in your party (forgot her name) i encountered spiders who would paralyze me. Being the only party member i was unable to use any sort of healing item and got paralyzed over and over, until it was game over.

While i got the item, which should prevent paralyses, i had it equipped on another char and so it wasn't avaible at that time. I think you should consider making her temporary class, she has in that small time span, immune to paralyses. It's not fun to get an encounter and die, without any way of preventing it.

6. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MagicMagor: This is actually an issue that never occured to me personally while testing, but I heard someoe had trouble with. It will be fixed (probably by adjusting her resistances for the period).

7. JMsoup

JMsoup New guy Member

First Language:
    Chinese
    Just played the demo. Thanks, it was really fun! I think I can learn alot from this :D Especially the way you made the party members move individually during cutscenes. Experimenting on it now... :)

8. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nobody's really asking, but I will rant on anyway.

So what have I been doing for a month?

...Well, nothing very much to be brutally honest :/

I've mapped the cliffs (next area) and part of the temple (next, NEXT, area, it's the really plot important dungeon, look forward to it). You can get a peek of what they're like in the new screenies >3. Been touching up the demo, changing things: the intro, adding skits, scenes, playing around with items....

The horrible truth is that there is absolutely no way I'm going to finish for the end of april :I Not the whole game. I will try to have at least a "part two" sort of game holding the next two dungeons, but even that may be a bit tight on time...If i manage that that means the new version will have 4 dungeons in (two added) and will ahve 2 dungeons (and the secret areas) left to do, plus the ending.

By the way, I said in the demo that a save file would work from where you left off, but...well, do forgive me, that won't be possible m(_ _)m

A new script (the silly imagefix thingmajing) somehow doesnt like continuing old game builds, so you'll have to start anew T-T On the other hand the intro has been remade a bit, there will be more items to find and there are now skits and more character scenes (hint: check them rest points!) so it should make up a bit for the annoyance. A bit.

If someone REALLY can't tolerate going through the first two dungeons again I'll send em a new savefile or something OTL

Well, back to the grind I go. With some luck I'll get the second release done for the contest >I

9. RavenTDA

RavenTDA just another mask Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey I played through this the other day and gotta say it's really fun. There was quite a few spots where I laughed pretty hard. I like the humor in the game a lot and it drove me to play all the way through and was disappointed to see the end of the demo come up so fast. I'm looking forward to the finished version. My only gripes are there were a few grammar errors here and there. The major one is the title. It's a bit tricky and I think most non-native speakers won't notice it and native speakers will scratch their heads wondering if it's right or not. But you "search" for something and you are "in search" of something. Pesky tricky prepositions.

Other than that I feel female when she took charge was almost too overbearing when she saved the boys. It wasn't her powers that were the problem but I feel she kinda stole the story more or less. She takes almost too much charge over them and I'm wondering why Owen listens to her since he seems extremely headstrong.
    Either way I look forward to the finished.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  10. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    WOHOOOOOOO!!! GUESS WHAT! GUESS WHAT!

In Search for Dragons got second place in the VXACE NUGGET CRASH COURSE contest over at RMN![​IMG]

There are no words to describe this glee. And this pride. And this...Frick I need to go dance some more. *does some more happy potato dance*

Right, glee aside, to celebrate (sort of) the results I uploaded a new demo. For those that have already played the old one...THERE IS NO REAL EXTRA CONTENT.

That is, there IS, but nothing critical.

Demo version 2 (released april 24th):

The game content has not changed much, this is mostly an impoved and fixed release of the first demo.

-Bug fixes (mostly item database)

-Changed intro scene

-Added extra scene at the end

-Added extra emotion faces

-Added skits and campfire scenes

-Added extra items on the field

-Greatly lowered random encounter rates

-Added rest points before both bosses

And a bunch of other stuff you probably won't care about. Enjoy :D

Note: The encounter rate right now is QUITE LOW, so you may not encounter many if you move along fast.

---

What else, what else. I'm going to TRY and get a dungeon or two more done this week for the Arum contest, but not sure I'll make it >I Will try anyay OTL

I...can't really think very clearly right now so that's it. Sorry I'm not making much sense at the moment XD. Off I go to do potato dances some more [​IMG]

♥SOURCE♥ likes this.
  11. Deckiller

Deckiller Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Congrats again on second place - we particularly enjoyed the charm and exploration of the demo. I bet it'll turn out great!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  12. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It’s 4 30 AM, and again I finish an unhealthy gamedev stint.

It’s official. I am incapable of working at a normal, healthy pace. It’s either RUUUUUUSH or nothing.

Anyway, finished the entry demo for the Arum contest. In Search for Dragons, Demo 3.

Basically it’s one extra dungeon and a LOT of cutscenes. New gameplay should be around an hour.

I will freely admit I didn’t test the battles myself so much, so they may be a bit iffy, but at this time I am so far gone I give 0 fricks. I’ll fix it another day when I’m not sleep deprived and have a deadline looming over me OTL

Demo avaliable in the OP. If you had an old save from Demo2 it should work. Just plonk it in the folder.

And with that, I’m hazing out for the day.

*collapses in a puddle of exhausted goo*

mlogan likes this.
  13. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Know what's awesome? When a big bug that breaks gameplay sneaks by you while on the crunch. Aw yiss.

Anwyay, fixed. There was a switch error in the second dungeon, making a blockade appaear and preventing you from fighting the boss, leaving you stumped. Fixed the download so just press the button~

Big thanks to Scinaya for warning me about the bug OTL

14. Hanburg

Hanburg Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hard truths in 3, 2, 1...

In search for Dragons, however proper it may be just hits the ear wrong. "In Search of Dragons" or "The Search for Dragons." Either is more appropriate than the current title.

15. Deckiller

Deckiller Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I see where you're coming from. Prepositions can indeed be tricky.

So when's Demo 4 coming out anyway?

16. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Deckiller: I dont THINK it will. Next release will be the complete game, I expect. Unless people REALLY REALLY could not wait, but so far no one has showed that kind of anxiety so far XD

17. Wolfie

Wolfie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay maybe its me but in search FOR sounds wrong... of sounded better, I've always used of for this thing

Is saying Of that wrong? I dont think so...

18. Hirei

Hirei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I really need to try out this game. Your work for the cutscene contest was amazing~

*waits patiently for full release!*

19. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I gave it a shot and I have to say, I really enjoyed it! I normally don't like games with a more humorous tone, but this one still held strong for me. The bats and rats were very annoying though, having tremendous evasion and I couldn't find any options to beat them effectively. Even with accuracy up and magic and stuff, those battles took me a lot longer than any other battles in the game and were very frustrating. Also, all the enemies in the final cave of the demo didn't give any EXP. or gold. Aaaand, by the time I found the frog and went back to town, the kid that wanted one wasn't there any more so I never got to give it to him/her. :(

I do have to admit though, the beginning of this game felt very weak to me and was kind've a chore to push my self through it. The main character feels a lot like Luke from Tales of the Abyss and I almost never pushed my self through the beginning of Abyss because of the same reason: the main character is a real turn off from the game. I'm glad I did for both Abyss and this game, but I just felt like I should say that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  20. Fafnir

Fafnir And yet, these hands will never finish anything. Veteran

This was good. I really loved the characterization and the mapping. Arrow pointers helped a lot.

Besides a few scattered typos, I found a few bugs:

- Helben Herb's item type doesn't seem to be well defined, because once you select "Items" in the main menu it disappears, even from the "All" category.- There is no HP/MP recovery after the camping conversation that follows the spider's nest.

- Save files do not display location. This is a YEA bug. You can find the fix in the script page comments.
    The amount of subtly different healing items is a bit confusing, and some statuses are redundant. I don't think you really need weak poison, regular poison, burning and bleeding, especially since they are hard to tell apart. Damon might benefit from a TP skill or two.

Really nice job with the environment dependent skills.

Also LOL, Black Hole.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012