In Search of Freedom [Demo out!]

Discussion in 'Arum Games' started by Indrah, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shannon, a healer arrested for a crime she claims was purely an accident (It doesn’t count as stealing if no one was properly guarding it! How was she even supposed to know it was important?) is forced, under Corvlian Law, to pay for her crimes in the form of service.

Together with her overseer, Ethan, they take on missions that the army is ill-equipped to deal with: wanted pirates, sea monsters, lovesickness, outrageous old women, lonely demons, plotters, spoiled princesses, annoying royalty, entitled nobles and much more!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Join Shannon, Ethan and the colourful and quirky cast of the people of Corvelia as they set to help you or make your life difficult (to be fair, it’s mostly the latter).

[​IMG]
    -Demo includes around half an hour of gameplay.
    -Conditional Turn Battle System (CTB)
    -Mainly humorous storyline focused on quirky characters.
    -The game is part of the Arum universe and takes place entirely in the kingdom of Corvelia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Battle System
    This game uses a battle system which is defined by Stamina and Stock.
    Stamina is the resource used to perform actions in battles.
    Stock is the number of actions you can perform that turn.
    Stamina regenerates 20 points per turn, it can also go negative which incurs a stat penalty.

Stamina - Stat Penalty
         0              -0%
       -50            -25%
      -100           -50%
      -200          -100%

While you shouldn't worry too much about going into negative stamina if it will help you gain the advantage, it isn't a state you should linger on too long.
    Stock regenerates 1 point per turn but if you wish you can store it up allowing you to take multiple actions in a later turn. To pass a turn hit escape on a keyboard or B on a controller (cancel button).
    Boss Tips
    Jormac
    The pirate captain will revive his meat shields if either of them are dead, so you need to co-ordinate your attacks.
    I recommend stealing once with Shannon and then passing turns until both Shannon and Ethan have at least 2 SK points. Then use Bone Breaker to get rid of the meat shields and let Ethan triple attack Jormac. Heal and repeat as necessary.
    If you are finding Jormac hard: he attacks when when hasn't revived his shields for 3 turns; you can have Ethan defend and give Shannon defend as well if needed.

Sea Monster
    This boss has 3 forms. Both the second and final form come with minions who should be dispatched as quickly as you can.
    The second form and the cube slime minions will need Ethan's Guard Breaker to efficiently dispatch.

Psychic Tree
    Preparation is key here. This boss likes to waste away your stamina to prevent you from launching a serious assault on him.
    Hidden in the forest is an accessory called Beserk Immunity. If Ethan equips it for 5 battles he learns a passive skill with the same effect. Then Shannon (for whom attacking a turn is most wasteful) can equip the accessory. The tree's DNA when obtained with tentacle will make Olga immune to beserk.
    Next in the boss's arsenal is Command Breaker: it will remove your commands one by one each use. However, it will always leaves you with one command left. Attack if you have it equipped, and if it's not equipped, you skill command.
    His final move, Scramble, deals Stamina damage. If you have any MDF mods it's a good idea to equip them, as this will reduce your Stamina loss. Also pay attention when selecting skills as scramble re-orders them.
    I find boosting Ethan's defences and damages with Shannon's Super Drug to be very effective. Good luck!
    Shannon
    Shannon possesses strong healing abilities and moderate damage dealing abilities. She also has a rather lacklustre defence.

Recommended Passive Skills:
    Auto Tanti <100% Max HP - If you have enough Elixir Tanti.
    Regen - This may not sound much but it really does add up over the course of battle.

Recommended Command Skills:
    Steal - It has a 100% chance to succeed and all enemies except for the repeat minions (Jormac's minions) carry items.
    Medicine - While this will lock Shannon out of the support items you find (you won't get many in the demo anyway) it doubles the effect of healing items. Of particular note is that Caleran Herbs which normally revive with 50HP will revive with 100HP when used through the Medicine command.

Skill System:
    Shannon learns skills by winning battles and using her skills in battles.
    They are divided into 4 trees.

Healing Tree
    Heal: Default
    Regen: 10 wins/uses
    Heal More: 25 wins/uses

Malpractice Tree
    Bone breaker: Default
    Super Drug: 20 wins/uses

Placebo Tree
    Placebo: 3 wins
    Amnesia Effect: 12 wins/uses
    Might not be a placebo: 30 wins/uses
    Mass Placebo: 60 wins/uses

Alternative Tree
    Aromathetapy: 20 wins
    Acupunture: 23 wins
    Psychic Surgery: 60 wins/uses

The most useful learnable skills in relation to the demo are Regen, Super Drug (despite the HP loss the stat boost is very effective) and Placebo.
    While you are not likely to unlock Mass Placebo during the demo it is Shannon's only group heal skill in the whole game.
    Ethan
    Ethan possesses strong offensive physical skills and a good defence. He is generally reliable but lacks versatility.

-Auto Tanti <50% Max HP - Ethan's HP is generally quite good so this should usually be enough to protect him without having to manually heal him.
    -Immunity Beserk - one of the bosses uses Beserk and while it isn't particularly bad for Ethan it does cut him off from say administering a much needed Elixir on someone.

None in the demo. I would stick with Attack, Sword Tech, Defend or Escape and Items

Skill System:
    Any piece of equipment Ethan can equip will either teach him a skill or raise one of his parameters permanently. To unlock the skill or stat boost all Ethan need do is win 5 battles with that item equipped.
    Some enemies have a very powerful defence, using Guard Breaker will break their defences for the rest of battle.
    Desperate Assault is high risk high reward, be aware that it scales with your HP. For example: at half health the skill will do 70% more damage than attack.
    Dark Attack makes excellent use of Ethan's highish HP, allowing him to conserve ST by using HP instead.

The ATK mods will provide the most useful early stat upgrade for Ethan.
    Olga
    Olga's role in battle can be defined by what enemies she is facing due to her ability to absorb enemy skills/traits. In the demo she will largely be a support character who makes effective use of her minions to support the party.

Stay - saves you summoning a minion for the next battle.

None in the demo. Stick with Attack, Defend or Escape, Monster Tech, Summon and Items

Skill System:
    Tentacle allows Olga to gain a skill or trait from the enemy she used it on. She also has three unlockable skills in the demo:
    Natural Cure: Use tentacle on Seedling, Treema and Fungi Fiend (not in demo but alternate method: use on 10 different enemies).
    Summon Lucky Cat: Use tentacle on Lucky Cat.
    Stay: Use tentacle on 5 different enemies.

Of her, summons Lucky Cat is probably the most useful, with its relatively high damage output and ability to heal party members. You can use Slime if you prefer a damage dealer who can survive more hits or Cube Slime if you wish to protect the party from attacks.

[​IMG]
    Developers: Indrah and Fomar 0153
    Facesets: Marimo
    Testers: Revery Raven, Liberty
    Help with Music: Dalph

Resources:
    Ds set (tiles and sprites)
    Battlers: Milano Cat
    Hannya (Music)
    [​IMG]
    The game started as a silly project meant to be finished in three days, but soon grew too large and became a 7 (and something) day demo.
    We decided to cut it now so we could focus on our main project, but after that is done we will come back and finish this game. Production should (hopefully) resume around April.

As always, feedback is very welcome, appreciated, and loved! Please tell us what you liked and what you think needs fixing!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    Name, Silvestre, Hesufo and 3 others like this.
  2. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    a.k.a. "In Search of a .midi boss theme that doesn't sound like crap after the conversion in .ogg"

-

Jokes aside...looks awesome, and thanks for adding my name in the credits, I really appreciate that.

I'm gonna play the hell out of this thing now.  :)

Susan likes this.
  3. Napoleon

Napoleon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Great music, great story and lovely intro. For 7 days of work that is some good work imo.

Some things that I noticed:

- typo: Medicene should be Medicine I guess.

- battle tutorial: the first part is hard to read because the message window is transparent and you did not remove the message window beneath it first. So I see 2 texts drawn over each other.

4. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like your nature scenes! :)

5. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't have time to play this right now ;.; But I downloaded it and will when I can because - Olga~ <3

6. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Done.

Took me around 40 minutes.

It was great, I like the bs, the equippable commands and the whole customization...Fomar is awesome with his stuff.

Shannon is my favourite character so far, she kinda reminds me about Elza from TGK, but the truth is that your characters are all well developed as always, and Olga is hilarious (I love her summon skills and her temper).

Mapping so far is pretty good and the dialogues are well written (I couldn't expect less from you).

I had some troubles against the boss tree (took me a few tries) but I managed to survive by following your hints, I also like the fact that you have to think against the bosses instead of attacking over and over...this is nice.

And it's also nice to see the equippable Mods back, I always liked those things, they add more cutomization in the equipment.

The music...well I already know the music but it fits very well with the game. :p

And congrats to marimo for the awesome facesets, good job.

Overall, it's a great game, good job to both (all your games are great woman).

My only complaint? It ends too soon....ahahah 

Looking forward to play the full version.  :)

Where is the support bar?  :distrust:  

Susan likes this.
  7. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I WAS TOO LAZY TO MAKE THE SUPPORT BAR TODAY OK ;A;

I'll do it tomorrow...maybe. Probably. <.< >.>

8. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    BUUUUUUU, you know I have a fetish for support bars, this will be my 13th. ;)

About the battlers, where are they taken from? I've seen them somewhere but I can't remember.

Susan likes this.
  9. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I knew I was missing someone in the credits OTL It's Milano Cat (and no im not giving link I am selfsh and a hog grruuuuu)

10. Z3br4

Z3br4 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Bug (I think): Inside Beatrice's house, you can run around the entire screen, even the black parts.

Psychic Tree:

I find that using the Cube Slime is useful for this battle, since it protects all members and not just Olga. I bought a SP +10 passive action book for both Ethan and Olga, it might be useful for building up SP points. The tree always took out Olga's Monster Summon ability first (at least for me), so summon something on her first turn.

11. Hesufo

Hesufo Homu! Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    I haven't gotten to the last boss yet, but I just wanted to say that this game is really really good. I liked the dialogue very much although, and Olga's characterization is just excellent.

The battle system is pretty interesting, however I feel like there's just too many systems thrown in together. It works well together but it seems like it could benefit from a little more simplicity. There's the Stamina system (that is never fully explained in-game, e.g. the percentages), The Stock system, Command equipping, different Skill learning systems, etc etc. It's kinda overkill...

That aside, the battles and especially the bosses are challenging and fun enough, even though they're all exploitable to some degree (which is something that's very delicate to balance), the player still has to work around the obstacles and try out different things in order to get through them. From the numerous custom systems introduced, I like the Stamina system the most because it gives the player freedom to act and not worry about losing skills, and balancing battles around that helps make them more challenging with fewer drawbacks on the player. I did not like the Command equipping system, because it's kind of limiting and I think some Commands could be better off condensed into skills (Medicine for example) or merged together (Olga's skillset).

There are a couple of graphic bugs (like the red chest turning into a wooden one in the ship) and I feel some of the maps are too cluttered (the ship, particularly). I would've also liked to have some more exploration but that's just me :p Other than that the mapping is very good for the limitations of the DS tilesets. Kudos on that!

By the way, I encountered an issue with the Cube Slime summon - I can't heal my allies because the Slime redirects them to itself. Bummer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  12. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    We tried to stagger the characters joining a bit to cut down a bit on tutorials but it hasn't helped as much as I'd hoped.

All the characters will have by the end of the game:
    • Attack
    • Defend
    • Escape
    • Item
    • Skillset
    • Either a command (Steal) or a second skillset (Summon)
    • A personal Item command
    • and maybe some more
    The idea is that you have to decide what's useful to your playstyle. Medicine is the first of the personal items commands, eventually Ethan will get Item 0-ST which lets him use items for free but can only use 1 type of item per battle so if he uses Elixir W then he can only use Elixir W for the rest of that battle but he never has to pay any stamina to do so. Olga will get Item All, which lets any single target item hit everyone but for only 50% of it's regular effect.

Oops that's a bug.
    Glad you're enjoying the game, would love to hear how you find the demo's final boss.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  13. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    So gonna try this out when I get some time over. I really enjoyed In search for immortality so I will definetely look out for your projects in the future!

You and Fomar will probably release 10 games before I'm done with mine xD Some ppl on here is just inhuman when it comes to the efficiency of game-developing haha!