In Search of Immortality

Discussion in 'Full Games' started by Indrah, May 5, 2013.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ulstern’s Alchemy Guild has received a secret tip on the whereabouts of Tarneus’ tomb, rumoured to hold the Elixir of Immortality.
    However, Tarneus disappeared before anyone could see if this was true, and the place has remained a mystery until now.
    The party will travel to the tomb, hidden and sealed deep underground, and discover the results of Tarneus’ research.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alma is a Magic Engineer and Isaac’s wife. Isaac is an alchemist, sent by the guild to explore the tomb. He asks his nephew Ellis, a young Illusionist studying at Vlad’s Magical Academy, to come along to disable the spell sealing the tomb’s entrance. Ezekiel is the priest who offered the guild the information, and is their guide to the tomb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -Made in two weeks (two very stressful weeks x.x) for the Release Something Weekend.
    -Conditional Turn Battle System (CTB)
    -Four totally different character classes.
    -Both humorous and serious storyline (some dark themes).
    -Complete game takes around two-three hours to complete (your mileage may vary.)
    -The game is part of the Arum universe. (See if you can spot all the cameos in the credits!)-Online achievements.

[​IMG]

Ezekiel
    Ezekiel can either be your best or worst character depending on how you use him. Be sure to familiarise yourself with the conditions on his skills.

Unlock skills early:
    Alma - Analyse every new enemy you meet and every boss.
    Isaac - You only unlock items in the Stash by Mixing in battle. You can check most of the recipes out of battle in the crafting menu.
    Ellis - Pudding will unlock his 2 extra moves at 10 and 20 attacks. Ellis has a chance to unlock his skills with every spell cast. The maximum casts to unlock all his skills is 30.
    Ezekiel - Ezekiel can learn 5 more skills and does so by using Overkill. His last skill is the only multi-target revive, if you are struggling this skill is a must have.

Mods
    Remember that there are caps to both DEF (80) and AGI (255).
    If you're over a cap e.g. DEF take advantage and equip DEF lowering mods as you'll still have 80 DEF.
    Remember every time you level up you gain another Mod slot.

[​IMG]
    Developers: Blue Coral Games
    -Indra (Writing, eventing, mapping)
    -Fomar0153 (Gameplay, scripting, databasing)
    Testers: Scinaya
    Music: Rengoku Tien
    Facesets: Sore Janai
    Enemy Battlers: DS Resource Pack
    Sprites: Sore Janai, Evil Eagles, Moon, Saitou, Momope, Indrah, Vibrato, DMDSottore
    Tilesets: Indrah, Pandamaru, Liberty, Lunarea, Mack, Miyanamisaya
    Scripts: Fomar0153, Modern Algebra, Shaz, Yanfly, Neonblack
    Title Screen: Scinaya
    Windowskin: Etolier
    Special thanks to Scinaya and Evil Eagles for their help during development! You two are awesome.

[​IMG]
    May I say again this game was made in two weeks? Actually more like three days, since most of the combat, systems, eventing and writing (and hah, testing) were done in that time.
    To reach the deadline we had to skip many things. Fancy effects, custom icons and character graphics (except combat sprites and title: Eagles and Scinaya did us some badass materials there!).
    We will undoubtedly find minor (and hopefully not major) bugs here and there post-release. We will probably release a patch to that soon, so be gentle: that was three extremely stressful days towards the end XD
    (Also I feel I must say that this entire torture was just because Fomar wanted the Full Game achievement >C)

[​IMG]
    Please, PLEASE! For the love of all that’s holy and sacred to you, give us your feedback!
    This was a lot of work and it really makes us feel like it paid off when we hear your opinions on the game, and keeps us motivated to make more games.
    So tell us who your favourite character was, if you liked the plot, did you defeat the secret boss…anything! We love hearing from you guys.

And here's a support bar to put in your signature~
    [​IMG][img=http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/20322/locker/IsoI_support.png] 
    [​IMG]
    [February 2nd, 2013] Uploaded re-release version with fixes for bugs, smoothness and added online achievements.

Changelog:

Character Changes

Alma
    +Removed the Kit swapping mechanic, Alma can use any skill now without needing to swap kits.
    +Added a new mod that adds DEF Down to enemies when analysing.
    Isaac
    +Added a new personal mod that gives Isaac a 50% chance to create a duplicate item for the party to use when Mixing in battle.
    Ellis
    +Added a new battle mechanic, Delayed, Ellis's skills that affect the flow of battles have been made stronger but each battler can only be negatively effected once between each of their turns.
    +Ellis now learns his skill in a set order at set intervals.
    +Added a new mod that lets Ellis get the first turn.
    Ezekiel
    +First Strike has been weakened.
    +Added a new mod that gives the party 10% HP regen (at least until they die).

The new mods are created by crafting using items you find in the field.

Battle Changes
    +Added difficulty option
    +Previous difficulty now the Normal Mode difficulty
    +Hard mode has been added.
    ++Most enemies have been made stronger
    +Charged Terrors' Thunder Clap now hits 3 times instead of 6.
    +Superboss is now immune to Ice and Thunder.
    +All damage has been increased by 60%.
    +Animation speed for actors has been increased.
    +Max Agility is now 200.

Added online achievements
    +If you've played any other game with the same script then your account will automatically be found.[May 10th, 2013] Uploaded 1.1 version (fixed rtp problems and a couple typos) and linked a support bar.
    [May 5th, 2013] THE GAME IS OUT! Just go play it :3
    [May 5th, 2013] Created topic (some areas still under construction.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  2. Rose wala leo

Rose wala leo Ice Knight Member

First Language:
    Knighties
    Whoa! whoa! whoa! Your screenshot are greeeeeaaaTTTT!!!!  :D   *shocked* :o

3. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I like the creepy girl. :)

4. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I can't believe you made all this in 2 weeks, so effing impressive!

Your game looks better than mine, and it has somewhat the same estimated playtime.. and I have spent 4-5 months on my project.. wow, just wow xd

Makes me feel like I'm pretty slow, but then again I had some months where I just learned everything about the engine!

That apart, I think this looks very interesting! Will make sure to try this out sometimes! :)

5. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the early support guys. I've just finished my final full test play through and squished every bug I found.

Indrah and Scin will be doing their test runs and then we can release.

Really hope you all enjoy it!

Animus likes this.
  6. Meridianbot

Meridianbot Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I will give it a try. It will be fun i am sure.

But i don't like the battle-screens. The moving-order should be separated from the rest of the battle screen with some kind of frame/border.

After my play through u will get additional feedback.

regards Bot

7. Hirei

Hirei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I will be playing this when I find time! I loved your previous contest game so I can't wait.

8. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, there it is! A game. Just...play it. Tell us what you thought. Above all: enjoy it.

I'm going to go collapse somwhere and never get up x.x

Download link right at the top of the opening post.

Hirei likes this.
  9. punram

punram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Downloading now. Can't wait to try it out, I'm sure it'll be great.

Fomar0153 likes this.
  10. Lustermx

Lustermx Veteran Veteran

I am so far very much enjoying this~ I really like the battle animations and the mapping is really nice too.

The battles at first were quite long for my liking and there was quite a bit to learn in terms of battling at the right start of the game, but I got used to it after a couple of random encounters so that's all good.

I find the random skits/scenes to be funny and cleverly written as they flesh out each characters personality. They made me grow attached to Alma in particular, especially when she's talking to Ellis. Hopefully I'll have time to continue later, but I really do want to find out what happens! :)

Fomar0153 likes this.
  11. punram

punram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You know what's coming...

Story & Characters

+ The party was a nice blend of surprisingly in-depth characters. I found them all to be very likeable. 
    + As always, the humour was a great touch. The interactions between the team were very believable and felt natural.
    + The few twists to be had were foreboded in certain parts of the game, but this only added to my enjoyment of the story. When some secrets came to light I found myself thinking "I knew it!" with a grin on my face.

- I thought that the direction could have been a little better, since I felt the main objective was sometimes pushed aside for character development or bosses. This is only a minor nitpick though - it didn't really take away from my experience at all.

9/10

Presentation

+ Edited RTP graphics worked excellently together.
    + Each location had its own definitive atmosphere.
    + Do I really need to say this? :p   Mapping was fantastic.

- I thought some of the music used was a little out of place, with a lot of the BGMs sounding too modern or techno-y.

8/10

Gameplay

+ Mods and weapon mods were a welcome addition to the game's combat, and I thought the way party members gained another slot upon levelling up was very clever.
    + The order system and unique battle styles made fighting more about planning ahead rather than spamming the same moves over and over again.
    + The game was just long enough to feel like a large adventure, but just short enough to hold my interest, too. 
    + Status ailments seemed a lot more prevalent, as did in-battle buffs and debuffs, which kept me alert and on the ball when it came to using items and skills. 
    ​+ The ability to rename characters was a fun little implement. Call me a 5 year old, but renaming Pudding to "Stinko" made for some pretty good laughs.

-  I felt the last boss perhaps had a little too much HP compared to the other enemies in the game. He took a hell of a beating, even with my 1500+ damage dealing Ezekiel whacking away at him every turn.
    - Mixed items seemed a little underpowered at times, with Dark Matter and elemental gem combinations doing (what appeared to be) mediocre damage against foes.

9/10
    Total Score: 9/10 - "Excellent"

-  So, yeah... There's another one of my dumb little reviews, I hope you like it as much as I did playing the game! 

Oh, and concerning the final scene during the credits: there is no such thing as bad fan service.  :rock-left:
      B)   :rock-right:  

Indrah and Fomar0153 like this.
  12. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Oh wow thank you soo much for that review and I'm over the moon you enjoyed it soo much (and also that finally someone rated game play as highly as the story).

Now to respond in kind to the gameplay bit of your review! Thanks again.

Thanks, sadly it wasn't quite as extensive a system as I would have liked. Originally there were going to be item mods as well but time didn't allow for it.

Except for First Strike of course and Holy Hammer they are very spamable :p . But yes that's what I was trying to accomplish.

Quite possible but he's fairly safe once you take care of the initial three enemies.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

punram likes this.
  13. punram

punram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. And yeah, I did find myself spamming First Strike quite a lot now that you mention it  :guffaw: I'd buff Ezekiel's POW then one-shot an enemy with it and use the Overkill from that to one-shot another all on the same turn.

Pleasure's all mine.  ;)
    EDIT: Put my reply in a spoiler just in case.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  14. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On gameplay...two things.
    -Cursed Hammer.
    -Construct weapons.
    POW POW EVERYTHIGN IS DEAD. MWAHHAHAHAHAHAH

What can I say, I'm a big dumb "big damage over strategy" person >D

Also, OBVIOUSLY. THANKS A MILLION FOR THE REVIEW.

And happy you liked the game! Especially the...more serious scenes and the ending I kept feating they'd be too jarring or overdone, glad you did not think that was the case.

(Also I think enough people like the silly name changing that we'll simply put it in all our games XD)

As for the main obejctive...to be honest, I sort of actually forgot :x When I was finishing the grave events I was like HOLY sheep i have not talked about it in EVER. In my defense, the entire game's eventing was made in three days. :<

(Also DONT TALK TO ME ABOUT THE LAST BOSS. The first time I tested it, the values were borked and he had a million defense, so you only could do like 10 dmg at most, and was SUPPOSED to have 400 hp....but it was set to 4000. NEedless to say, after 15 minutes I asked fomar wtf was up and we noticed and fixed it XD).

punram likes this.
  15. Scinaya

Scinaya ~ Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    May I add, that Windling + all the Agi you can stuff into the poor man, made Isaac quite the restless little debuff/hoarding machine. (Even if Fomar toned Windling down.) You should have seen my build in test mode - I also named him Coffee, which sort of fit his stressed out hypertension mode. Naming Eze with the most disturbing names was delightful, too.

What all has the head priest been calling the poor man? XD

16. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    You don't seem to mention Ezekiel being one hit K.O.'d by the final boss. There is a trade off.

When I borrowed your save I got AGI upto 255 against the final boss which gave me 135 moves before he had a turn...

17. Casia

Casia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's asking for a RTP...

18. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Based on Ezekiel's look and screenshot where he talks. He is either a big jerk and/or a villain.

19. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What? How? It really should not, I imported all the necessary files. Could you expand on this?

Judging by appearances, eh? Someone has not played our games before XD

Chaos Avian likes this.
  20. Casia

Casia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I try to open the game it says "RPGVXZce RTP is required to run this game."

Also, I don't see a Graphics folder.