In Search of Immortality

Discussion in 'Full Games' started by Indrah, May 5, 2013.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is pretty weird. As for the graphics folder, the game is encrypted, so it's normal that you don't see it. I'll talk to Fomar when he gets on later and see what's up.

2. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    In Game.ini

find:

RTP=RPGVXAce

and make it

RTP=

then you won't need the rtp.

3. doriantoki

doriantoki Enjoying the Ritual Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just past the Merman boss (not sure if I will continue):

+ I enjoyed the variety of facial expressions for the characters, especially Pudding.

+ The humour is overall subtle, which is nice, except I thought the Priest being a pervert was a little heavy-handed and a bit clichéd.

+ The uniqueness of each character keeps battle fresh, as does the myriad of options.

+ The battle animations were great and well done.

- Wish there was a way to tell how much HP an enemy has remaining, that or what their weakness is.

- The text right at the start of the game regarding combat manuals gets cut off.

- Rune of Ice descriptions says it strikes with thunder o_O

- Thunder Clap/Crap every turn/everyone poisoned caused me to stop playing.

4. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    About character personalities: I rally can't sy much wthout spoilers, just: see till the last dungeon. It's a game short enough we had to spread stuff out or there'd be nothing...oh well, maybe that's jsut me being defensive. If there's one thing that's constant in our games is that appearances are tricky XD

About Hp and weaknesses: someone's been spoileeed XD Nah kidding, I know what you mean. Personally it was never a problem for me once you beat an enemy type once and got their wrkings (and before anyone cries "but you're the DEV!" I'll say no i am not. I did not touch ANY COMBAT ASPECT. I tested gameplay like any other player) and I did not find that many weaknesses except some very obviosu one (what is fire weak against, again...? XD).

A couple descritpoions has typos. We've fixed what we've found so far, thanks for the report.

As fgor you stopping...well. I'm not tryign to be a nag, because it's a free country and Frick, if you want to stop you want to stop, but with the cavern enemies once you defeat them once or twice you'll understand how they work and they cease to be a problem. Personally I found it refreshing that there was RISK in random combat at all. It takes you by surprise the first time, but it's nowhere near impossible to beat.

I can jsut say: try to play it to completion! The last stage s by far my favourite, so I can only encourage you to get there. Other than that, thanks for your time and feedback!

(Also psst, the bat is really the only enemy that will do that sort of thing to you, so you don't have to worry about that so much XD)

5. Choco-Elliot Wyvern

Choco-Elliot Wyvern Numbah 1 Konata Izumi fan Veteran

First Language:
    Chocobo
    Haven't finished it yet but really fun game so far. The battles are really unique with each character being different in skills and such, I did find Ezekial being a bit over powered if you use his overkill correctly but that only bothered me in the beginning. Was bit caught of guard at first at the random encounters since Dead Moon Night and Grumpy Knight has touch encounters but it's not an issue for me. I also really like the character's personalities and the subtle humor not really taking over the game but just being, there. So going to continue playing this :D

Edit: Oh and where's the support banner ;) ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  6. doriantoki

doriantoki Enjoying the Ritual Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I may go back and try an agility build with Isaac.  He was the only thing keeping me alive against the bats.  And just so you know, I ran five encounters in there (being slaughtered twice), ALL being the bats, and just said **** it after that.  But if agility works the way I think it does, maybe I might have a sliver of hope of being kept alive if I just buff and heal with Isaac like a mad-man.  We'll see ...

Scinaya likes this.
  7. Casia

Casia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Did that, but now it complains that: "Unable to find VL Gothic font"

8. Scinaya

Scinaya ~ Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Yes... YESSSS... Stuff him up with all the agi and Windling mod. I simply love him in that maniac mode.

When I was playtesting I started to hit late hours in the cave and brain jam made it painful for me, as well. Later going on again, it was all suddenly a piece of cake. XD I recommend playing this one when you have your mind fresh enough to find the tactic against the enemies. Once you pinpoint how to handle one of the type, the rest of them you encounter will go down fast. Below mild gameplay hint/spoiler, how I handled that section.

Do not open if you don't want a hint.

Isaac in his agi build gets a bunch of turns (usually even before enemies) and you can mix up stuff to lower enemies defense and attack right in beginning of the battle. They turn rather quick quite fast. I was suprised how potent debuffs (buffs too) were. They really made a difference!
    @Casia: I have offered my body for testing out that subject. They should have a fix for it probably today. (Unless I am too weak and they need demons to test it out, in which case it may take a while.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  9. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finally managed to make it work, will be updating in a bit, please be patient :3

(Swear to god, why Is there no simple option to tell the RTP to Frick itself ><)

10. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update: Linked new version download. There should be no problems with the RTP there.

Also added a support bar~

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
  11. Casia

Casia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm downloading it now. Hopefully it works. If it does, I'll give some feedback on it when I've played it.

12. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Hope you enjoy it!

13. Casia

Casia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok, I've played it all the way to the boos fight... and have failed beating it for a few hours now. :p

The story has been very nice, although

the pervert priest who turns out to be a demon is a bit... disturbing.
    Also, the battles were horribly long in the beginning, and I was worried the case would be so for the rest of the game. They became quicker however, and once Isaac learned Smoke Bomb (the escape skill), I made a party.

But perhaps escaping from all those encounters has left me too undeveloped for the boss... :/

Gonna give it another go. Maybe I can beat the boss without going back to grind...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  14. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    I'm guessing the final boss, I beat him at level 7. Make sure you kill all his minions first, starting with the healer, also try and keep the party buffed and it helps deal with all the debuffs. An AGI build on Isaac will help give him more turns for healing. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  15. Casia

Casia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I finally managed to bring them down! The ending was vweird with Pudding and the priest... joking... around... o_O

But I liked how the story came full circle in a way. It was weird at some parts, but it was quite consistent and it ended in a logical way, which was very nice. I appreciate a good story more than anything else in a game, so this made me happy.

It took a long time to get hang of the battle system. I didn't really understand until just before the final boss. :p But it's actually quite nice, offers a lot of room for tactics and planning. Oh, and Ellis' decoys were awesome. Without them he was dead in one or two hits.

I think I was on level 3 or 4 when I faced the boss, lol. :p

16. L'Antipatico 2.0

L'Antipatico 2.0 Master Manipulator Member

First Language:
    Italian
    This was done in 2 weeks? I suppose you had a lot of sleepless nights then...XD

Overall it's a great, detailed and fun game, I particularly loved some juicy things like the funny dialogues, the crafting system and the combat skills of Alma and Isaac.

The BS is obviously one of the strong aspects, the skills are varied and push the player to reasoning instead of just attacking the enemy. I see you like to add equippable stats (the mods, like in DMN), it's a nice idea to be honest, those things are helpful to change the combat versatility of the characters.

The "Call (Random?) Battle" option in the menu was the only thing useless if you ask me, I've never used it.

And what's with those overpowered bats in the cave? They crushed me at least 2 times with the Thunder Clap. XD

The battles were a bit on the slow side at the start (as someone here already pointed) but as you progress with the game they become faster and funnier.

The mapping is nice (you if I'm not mistaken are famous for your high-level mapping skills), the sprites and the emotioned facesets are cool and add temper to the characters.

Tarneus was challenging enough, and so was the secret armored guy.

The music is great, my little sister loves the Intro theme of the game...ahah

I finished the game in less than 2 hours and was at max level with all the characters but only because I'm a completist.

About the ending:

Nice to see the cameo of Mariah, Morten and the other characters of Dead Moon Night. Am I asking too much if I want to know who is the green haired armored girl that follows Alma?
    My rating is 9\10, although the game is a bit on the short side (but I understand that It was done in hurry), it is overall an almost masterful work, it doesn't get a 10 from me only because of it's lenght.

Hope to play more stuff from you in future, your talent (and the one of Fomar) deserve more attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  17. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Well the final weekend I was getting ~4 hours sleep a night.
    It was something I added for me, while I like to think of In Search of Immortality as not being grindy, I didn't want players who do grind to have to walk back and forth for ages. I added some code to add minimum steps between battles, which if you're trying to grind would have been annoying.
    Sadly for you by the sounds of it, we didn't have much side content for you to enjoy. All I can say is sorry there was that deadline. Glad you enjoyed it all.

Elsa from the Grumpy Knight is the green haired one and thank you for the praise. Our next game should be In Search of Dragons unless we get derailed. After that we have another project planned and then again after that we do intend to revisit all these characters.
    The bats are a case of us devs knowing the systems and hence not finding them harder than the other enemies but given their reception they will be nerfed in the rerelease.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  18. L'Antipatico 2.0

L'Antipatico 2.0 Master Manipulator Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Oh...that's Elsa! I didn't noticed her, since the sprite is different.

A lot of stuff to come then, awesome.

19. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Sadly RTP and DS tiles clash, so Elsa has her own RTP sprite.

She'll put it to good use in time.

Soo many plans and soo little time.

20. Chrome

Chrome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I played for 90 minuets and got to level 5 before writing this. So here goes.

Glitches (Maybe)

--------------------------

- Not 100% sure but I believe there is a text cut off when the game tells you about the battle manual book.

- Juggernaut description is not the same as the effect if I remember correctly.

- I find it really annoying and weird how I cant change kits in Menu.

- There seems to be an animation glitch when there is a critical.

- Death state is Knock Out but Log says "Slain"

- I do not really understand mix. I mixed ice and water and it showed a fire animation, and once I mixed something and I escaped from battle?

--------------

- I thought the dialog was well written.

- Creative skills

- Music loop

- Lv up curve

- Nice balance

Critiques

-------------------

- I do not know if this will make sense but even thought the dialog was good, each character seems to have the same type of humor, like the game itself has a certain type of humor that is created by the writer and not by the characters. This makes it feel as though the characters are all kind of similar. (Almost every RM game I play suffers from this)

- I do not understand what the point is having monsters that are high on defense but low on heath or high on health but low of defense. They die in about roughly the same amount of turns, it just ended up confusing the player, making him think that his attacks are not working while in fact it is. Might as well keep Defense the same and change health around.

- What is the difference between health and defense? Like there are items that sacrifice health for defense but they are both essentially defense. The only thing I can think of is poison and burn. In this case defense will always be better then health. Right?

- Normal battle animation speed is just too slow, and I cant take it for more then 10 battles; now combine that animation speed with the equally slow sprite animation. This is really annoying; most games would have a no show animation option but this game does not. So please add that. 

- I really do not like the battle option in the menu. I have not played to the end so I do not know if the game forces you to grind...but to let you know grinding would suck, battle is more of a chore then it is fun. Mainly due to animations I believe. 

- It would be nice to see the face of the person I am equipping. I can not remember if the default menu shows the face or not....the thing is that I do not recognize the characters by there name because they were all introduced to me at once. Like right now, I do not recall any of their names but I still remember the faces. (this is not a big complaint though) 

- You got a lot of cool skills but I just do the same thing in every normal battle. 

- The shinning things you find around the map are like Ice gem and stuff, which is quite disappointing considering I can just find that in battle spamming that one skill. I would have the map treasures be multiple gems instead. 

- I like first person view but I hate front view like this one. The enemies are just so much bigger then the characters. It just felt weird for me.

- I do not find having 8 small damage multiple hits exciting for me considering I have to watch 8 numbers go up per character, So a total of 32 numbers lasting about 7 seconds.

Conclusion

--------------------------

Overall this game is okay, what I like the most is the skills although using them is unnecessary most times. Biggest complaint by far is animation speed and overall battle speed.

Edit: I just read some where that this game is about 2 hours long. In that case I take back character personality thing that I said.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013