In Search of Immortality

Discussion in 'Full Games' started by Indrah, May 5, 2013.

1. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    It'll be the caps, feel free to use some Minus mods for free!

Alma's kits fell short of my original vision. She's not going to need to swap kits in the rerelease.

I liked that word.

You can look the recipes up out of battle, Fire+Ice (or was it water?) makes a smoke bomb which is how you run.
    2 of the same element makes an elemental bomb and 2 different makes a regular bomb.

Thanks, you've already out levelled some people who beat the game. I downplayed levels this time round.

If you crunch numbers then you can be super optimal with HP and DEF, also high HP enemies were less bothered by DEF debuffs. Where as high def low HP enemies were destroyed by debuffs.

I'll probably add an animation speed option when I rerelease but given the work EvilEagles put in on the battle sprites there will not be a "No animations" option.

You do not have to grind but given I put a hard number as the lower limit of steps between encounters I didn't want to annoy people who wanted to grind.

Alma/Ellis suffer from too many skills but also this criticism holds true for most RPGs. Once you work out the best skills etc you seldom do anything less than optimal.

They were my anti Ellis enemies but I'll look into stopping popups on multihits from delaying so much.

I'm sorry you felt the battle speed was too slow. I'm probably going to add some animation speed options in the future. Anyway thanks for the feedback and hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of the game if you finish it!

2. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gotta love this one, it's one of my favourite RM games (and one of the few that I still have on my HD even after completing it), nice humour, nice mapping and story, pretty good character design and gameplay.

You are a good team guys, looking forward for more of your work.

Susan, Bukarett and Fomar0153 like this.
  3. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Aww thanks we're always glad to hear that people are enjoying our games, we're currently working on In Search of Dragons.

Indrah might kill me but here are some screenshots of what I've been upto:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically this time round you'll be equipping mods to all your skills and commands (even the item command).

4. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Quick, lynch Fomar for having the AUDACITY of posting screenshots! XD

@MisterX: Thanks a ton. It means a lot to know people enjoy and look forwards to our games, really ;-; Hope you'll like the next one! (We REALLY want it to be over, oh god let it end)

5. estriole

estriole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    indonesian
    wow skill mods. cool. :D . looking forward for it.

6. Chaneque

Chaneque Prince of Strange Things Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I just played this and this was the best fun everrrrr. Am now hoping to make my friend play it too, muahahaha!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  7. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    dayum you Fomar, why you have to be so awesome? You make me want to learn scripting so bad...ahah XD

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
    Susan, Bukarett and Fomar0153 like this.
  8. jabroni

jabroni Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    great stuff I am new on here and cant wait to get starting on my game

Fomar0153 likes this.
  9. Alex_TheBadass

Alex_TheBadass Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Heroism
    Dat battlesystem. Dem maps. Must hit this up.

---

Look what I found in my (successful) search for immortality:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  10. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wtf s that even XD (i just woke up and I come to this? What what someone hand me a cue card here)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  11. Atarashī Kami

Atarashī Kami I'm nothing Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for making this! It's helping me understand this system better.

12. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We (finally!) got the re-release ready! You can download it in the link in the first post.

In short, it includes a bunch of fixes on bugs, balancing and smoothness and adds the online achievements, but here you have the changelog anyway:

Character Changes
    Alma
    +Removed the Kit swapping mechanic, Alma can use any skill now without needing to swap kits.
    +Added a new mod that adds DEF Down to enemies when analysing.
    Isaac
    +Added a new personal mod that gives Isaac a 50% chance to create a duplicate item for the party to use when Mixing in battle.
    Ellis
    +Added a new battle mechanic, Delayed, Ellis's skills that affect the flow of battles have been made stronger but each battler can only be negatively effected once between each of their turns.
    +Ellis now learns his skill in a set order at set intervals.
    +Added a new mod that lets Ellis get the first turn.
    Ezekiel
    +First Strike has been weakened.
    +Added a new mod that gives the party 10% HP regen (at least until they die).

The new mods are created by crafting using items you find in the field.

Battle Changes
    +Added difficulty option
    +Previous difficulty now the Normal Mode difficulty
    +Hard mode has been added.
    ++Most enemies have been made stronger
    +Charged Terrors' Thunder Clap now hits 3 times instead of 6.
    +Superboss is now immune to Ice and Thunder.
    +All damage has been increased by 60%.
    +Animation speed for actors has been increased.
    +Max Agility is now 200.

Added online achievements
    +If you've played any other game with the same script then your account will automatically be found.

Bonkers likes this.
  13. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Decided I would give this a try when it came out for re-release, and get some much needed experience for the game drive.

I'm playing with my xbox controller and noticed the game handles all input and doesn't skip turns in battle or delays my commands.

I can select Ellis for time warp.  This should be exclusive to an ally. *  Wastes a turn.  I was hoping there was a tag or a prevention from selecting himself given how much effort was put into battle.

Using a kit at less than 50 hp takes away all hp and does not slay Alma. * She stays at 1 hp.

Though the sprite animations and battle system are nice I can't seem to defeat my first encounter on normal difficulty.  I have not read the combat manuals.

Mouth less devourer and Shiftless Biter both do the same exact attacks.  Odd.

Overkill is a very interesting feature.  It seems necessary to build it up in order to actually slay anything.

Analyzing learns skills, which is very nice.  A shame I go into battle so badly prepared at the start.

Battle is very involved.  I'm my tenth round into the first random encounter, 2nd attempt.

Finally after about 400+ damage, 11 rounds I've killed a mouth less devourer.

Wow, killing one group of enemies has given me a literal tons of items.  At least it was worth it.

These insects are far easier to kill than the mouth less devourer.  They can be killed in less than 1 turn.  And a single melee hit did 257 damage.  I'm a bit confused why there is such a difference in the starting enemies.  Should I be running from the devourers?  It never hinted they were immensely tougher than all the others.  

It says 25 exp to the next level, yet I've gained no exp at all from either of the battles I've been in.  I have no status option on the menu to confirm this

with details of the characters or what they have earned.  After a few more random encounters, an elf boss, and some exploration I can see I do get experience from battle.

While the items are nice, they don't all specify who can equip them.  Some are obvious, and some are a bit more cryptic or vague.  

Support Chemist is most definitely for Isaac.

I didn't expect the first two random encounters to take so long. ( I'll be editing this post later in the day to give some more general impressions and construct a proper review).

After a few battles I can see how the skills are set up, and defeating the elf allowed me to level to 2.  Now I have a number of new skills, and Ezekiel is easily my favorite character.  With Overkill I am doing 600+ even on a boss enemy, and he has two new skills through it's use.  I really enjoy him.

I had about 10 thunder crystals and 6 rune kits built up for the Merman fight.  Since shatter can heal now I changed the party dynamic and had Ellis heal while Issac and Alma nuked it down.  Ezekiel is good against trash when he gets first hit, but otherwise with the lower agility mods he can really drag behind on boss battles.  I'm not sure what to do with him other than normal attack, earth shaker, and then by the time I want to Overkill the boss is already dead.  Completely different from the elf fight with the priest, and I must have used the wrong mods on him for what I want to do with him and that is pump out pure physical damage.  The AGI reducer really kills him. 

Once inside the cave another random encounter of two charged terrors destroyed my part despite being level 3, completely well stocked, and prepared.  I am not sure I get the difference in difficulty between trash and bosses here.  Merman did about 6-15 damage per wash away x 4 while these charged terror trash mobs in packs of 2 do about 45 per hit x4 each party member all at once.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  14. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @palladinthug:

I managed to finish this game a lot of times (10 at least), from the older version to the most recent one and I can say that it's not hard by any means, even in the hard mode (which is only challenging).

Alexander Amnell even managed to arrive in front of the final boss (in normal mode) without equipping anything at all.

The first battles are easy, once you know how to use the characters and how to deal with the enemies and their weaknesses, there shouldn't be problems at all, of course you have to read the combat manuals and understand how to develop the characters.

The Charged Terrors can be painful but if you're well prepared they're nothing special at all, trust me.

As Indrah says: Ezekiel can be the best and worst character in the game, all depends how you use him.

I won't say how to use him, but I can say that in my save he's the best character and basically an invincible tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
    Susan likes this.
  15. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You'll have to wait for Fomar to answer since most of those queries are his area but here's Indrah's dumb brick strategy mode:

-Give ezekiel agi and str, plus Hp if you can manage it.-Have the others not cause damage on their first turn (extreemely easy, just buff and analyze.

-Use ezekiel on first strikes, use alma or Pudding to finish off hit enemies.

-Heal with anyone but ezekiel when needed (because his turns should be for inflicting dmg oi!)

*remember you can give ellis super agi and just use time warp to switch his turns with Ezekiel to make him act a lot faster.

Bam, you're done.

Ezekiel's a powerhouse, just get him all your power+, agi and hp and wail the Frick away. Ellis is very good at distracting (he makes a really good tank LATER ON when he gets mods to start with more decoys) and Isaac was for me the healer/buffer, since his item use costs nothing if you use them from his stash (infinite heals oh yes). Since hes pants at attacking I jsut gave him def+pow- and he rarely died. Alma can do anything she wants but excels at none UNTIL she gets the constructs in wghich case she's a motherbanger holy sheep.
    The game may be a bit hard to grasp at the very beggining but once you get some idea of what works the normal enemies shouldnt be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  16. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    If he has HP regen then you can exploit it for healing!
    I didn't feel it was a big enough issue to go and fix it.

I don't understand, I don't remember any of her skills hurting herself. Am I forgetting something?
    They both share Drain Attack but the Snake has a couple more moves.
    Overkill is also tied to learning Ezekiel's skills.
    There are some enemies with much higher defences, either debuff them or use Alma's piercing skills.
    I time warp Ezekiel to the front of the battle queue and then try to trigger all his conditionals so that he gets more turns.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of the game.

17. Z3br4

Z3br4 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    By the way, in the updated version, Rune of Ice's description calls it Rune of Thunder. It still deals Ice damage, though.

18. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    She may have been afflicted with poison at the time which causes damage per action rather than turn.  That is my mistake for not realizing that soon enough given the repercussions of my actions.

Ah I didn't know she could get piercing skills.  I musta missed it.  I was relying on Issac to do all the work with scrounging items.  Thank you.  I am enjoying.  Dalph was right, once I got use to how things work everything picked up speed.  I'll try what Indrah suggested with Ezy and hope I don't mess it up.  If someone got there without equipping anything I must be making a bunch of poor decisions. 

19. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
       It wasn't on a first play-through that that was done but rather replaying in normal after already beating the game in hard and figuring out the mechanics of every move in the game. Even then though you have to pretty much use everyone perfectly to pull it off as once you get to the graves area you run into enemies that can 1 shot anyone in your party other than Ezekiel and enemies pretty much always get the first turn.

I think the main problem people seem to be having with this game difficulty-wise is with realizing that it doesn't function like a typical rpg where regular encounters are a sort of "death of 1000 tiny cuts" mechanic and resource management is all you need in order to move past most areas with bosses being the only threat to a fully healed party. Because of this people go in with the mentality that strait dps is always the way to handle regular encounters (because most of the time in rpgs it is) when there are enemies starting at the caves especially that can and will destroy you if you don't adapt to utilizing more than that and treat them all like mini-bosses that require thought in order to handle effectively. Personally I think this is a strong point for the game because the requirement of using each character's skill set strategically in every fight makes every encounter much more enjoyable which to me more than makes up for the slow pace of the battles.

20. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay got to max level and just hit all the switches.  Grey door will still not open despite all the back tracking and grinding.  Ezy can kill anything first blow now, and he's capable of pumping out around 4k per trash without anyone contributing.  dayum.

Also:

[​IMG]

I showed this to several people and I wanted to be fair when I brought it up that I did think they were purple blotches int he grey floor tile set and not flowers at first.  
    I've definitely enjoyed my time with the game and want to finish.  I'll get back to it once I figure out this grey door issue and what I missed.  Just got through that maze too, so I thought I was home free.

EDIT:  Okay I found the yellow skull level.  That was silly of me, however;

[​IMG]

It happened after the warp back to the beginning.  I was able to walk freely through the third archway.

[​IMG]
    Just finished it.  Very nice little ending.  I'll have to check out more stuff in the Arum universe now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014