In what order should I program my battle system?

Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hello.

I want to make a Rhythm Heaven style turn-based battle system using events, but I'n not sure which aspect of the code I should make first.

Essentially, the player has their turn, where they can choose between attacking, using a skill, using an item, and running.

Then, the enemy has their turn. They'll wait for a random amount of time, then attack on-beat with the BGM. The player has to press a button to dodge. Then, the player can counter-attack on the next beat of the song. Return to action menu.

First of all, I'm not even sure if coding this with events is a good idea considering their limitations. More than that, I'm not sure what order I should do these in. Making the menu? Making the player attacks? The enemy attacks?

If I coded it with scripts, it'd fuction better, but I don't know how to coded. And besides, I already spent like $50 on a custom script.

Essentially, I'm lost. I think I'll make some mockups first, but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did a DDR takeoff kind of minigame a while back, using a combination of eventing and coding, and what I found was that RPG Maker is not a good platform for making music, graphics, and action happen "on beat" - things will inevitably be a little off and in ways that are unpredictable for the designer. If you're looking to make it the heart of your game (as you describe), I would honestly recommend biting the bullet and learning another 2D platform, preferably in conjunction with some actual coding (which will make your system a lot easier to scale up into a full game).

Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I did a DDR takeoff kind of minigame a while back, using a combination of eventing and coding, and what I found was that RPG Maker is not a good platform for making music, graphics, and action happen "on beat" - things will inevitably be a little off and in ways that are unpredictable for the designer. If you're looking to make it the heart of your game (as you describe), I would honestly recommend biting the bullet and learning another 2D platform, preferably in conjunction with some actual coding (which will make your system a lot easier to scale up into a full game).
Oh. Well, I'd really rather not use something else after I've spent over $100 CAD on RPGMaker.

The method I came up with to have things happen on beat was to count the number of seconds in a beat of each song, then convert that into frames.

KK20

Just some XP Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
As Wavelength already mentioned, whatever you happen to come up with, it will by no means ever be perfect due to the engine's limitations. For starters, if the player loses the game window focus, the music will continue playing, but all graphic updates are stopped--you're already desynced. Add on top that RPG Maker runs on a per-frame update rather than delta time, so someone who has a weaker computer is not going to be in-sync with the music.

I'd suggest you go back to the drawing board and come up with a different mechanic. You can still do some kind of timing-based system, but by no means are you going to have it sync with the music like No Straight Roads or Crypt of the NecroDancer.

Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
As Wavelength already mentioned, whatever you happen to come up with, it will by no means ever be perfect due to the engine's limitations. For starters, if the player loses the game window focus, the music will continue playing, but all graphic updates are stopped--you're already desynced. Add on top that RPG Maker runs on a per-frame update rather than delta time, so someone who has a weaker computer is not going to be in-sync with the music.

I'd suggest you go back to the drawing board and come up with a different mechanic. You can still do some kind of timing-based system, but by no means are you going to have it sync with the music like No Straight Roads or Crypt of the NecroDancer.
Ah, gotcha. I guess I could focus more on the Punch-Out!! aspect of the combat. 'Dodge his punch and counter-punch."

Then I'd ony have to check when a button is being pressed.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*le typical company rebranding that changes and adds absolutely nothing has arrived
Degica Games has become Komodo! Be sure to read more at the link below.

DarkAdria wrote on  Masked 's profile.
Hello, sorry to bother you. I have tried to send you a private message, but it indicates that due to the privacy settings it is not possible.
Some time ago, I finished my project and made a port for Android. Because the original idea was to play the game with a keyboard on PC, playing it with a mouse caused some bugs. (max 420 characters)...
Another day, Another migraine, I found out that the game is broken about the .... Stuff.... Im not best at coding and, I got this billion error, so no choice, I think the error is from Yanfly's SkillMastery...... Fixing it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnydork