Incitement - a sci-fi thriller

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Matseb2611, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

The Plot

This story takes place on a small group of planets and space stations dominated by a Sophorian alien race. In their society they also have some humans and one other alien race. The humans are said to be the survivors of an apocalypse and have come from the planet Gaia, which is now known to be a war-torn wasteland. The Sophorians still continue to look for more human survivors, however, and fully integrate them into their society. The latest human arrivals have been put on the space station Chimera.

However, a few months later a conflict had occurred on Chimera. One of the humans created a small following and initiated a rebellion against the Sophorian government. The Sophorian government responded to it incredibly quickly and immediately issued troops to quarantine the entire station and kill every human on it!

Why was there a need for such drastic measures? And why did that small group of humans revolt so suddenly? What’s Sophorian government planning exactly and with what purpose? It is now up to you to start your journey amidst the conflict on Chimera, travel from planet to planet, assemble a team, and eventually get to the bottom of this.

The second game has been completed already a while ago and can be found here - Incitement 2

General features

- Approximate game length – 6-10 hours.
    - 7 playable characters, each with their own weapon preference and special moves.
    - Travel through a variety of sci-fi locations, ranging from space stations to mutant labs, utopian cities to battle-torn cities, underwater bases to robot factories, and many others.
    - A story that’s full of twists and turns at every corner!
    - Badass boss fights which will challenge you.
    - A battle system that allows characters swapping during the battle, which provides the player with a chance to optimize their strategy and involve the whole cast to take part in those challenging boss battles.
    - Complete various side quests by helping out the people in the cities.
    - 3 difficulty modes: Casual, Original, and Harrowing.

Last Update (07th Jul 2017)

version 1.7!!! Please see the download links below.

Version without the RTP ~199 Mb

Challenge-seeker version with a new custom difficulty mode (no RTP) ~199 Mb

RTP-inclusive version ~385 MB (still v1.6)

Known bugs:

None right now! :D

Trailer:

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Game Samples

These are some of the old gameplay samples I’ve recorded during the development.

The first sample

Factory golem boss fight

Car chase sequence

Playable characters

Name: Maddock
    Race: Human
    Preferred weapons: Assault rifles
    Bio: Tough and goal-oriented, Maddock won’t rest until he finds solutions to any lingering issues. Though sometimes he might seem cold, in reality he feels responsible for his teammates and has a natural ability to lead others with a common intent.

Name: Carelia
    Preferred weapons: Shotguns
    Bio: Has been Maddock’s friend ever since they arrived on Chimera station. Carelia is generally very easy-going and prefers to take things on the fly. She doesn’t get angered easily and usually tackles problems with a cool attitude.

Name: Aelon
    Race: Sophorian
    Preferred weapons: Handguns
    Bio: Aelon is a scientist and a medic who usually prefers to work alone in his lab. He is not fond of fighting and conflict because he used to be a combat medic a few years back and had seen all sorts of nasty things.

Name: Hesper
    Preferred weapons: Sniper rifles
    Bio: Being somewhat awkward with other people, Hesper finds solace working with gadgets and machines. She finds technology fascinating and can often understand how things work very quickly.

Name: Darmek
    Race: Eduran
    Preferred weapons: Grenade launchers
    Bio: Darmek is a soldier and has been for many years, often ending up changing between different duties on his home planet. He is a man of few words and often does more with actions than words, especially ones which involve blowing something up.

Name: Seraphia
    Race: Sophorian
    Preferred weapons: Beam guns
    Bio: Seraphia holds a lieutenant rank in the Sophorian army, but in the last few months she’d been tasked to bodyguard one of the politicians. She often tends to be very stern and authoritative, but despite that, she always does things with good intentions.

Name: Anku
    Race: Robot
    Preferred weapons: Electrocuting hand generator
    Bio: Classified

Also included in the game folder:

- Game logo
    - Some information on the game's setting
    - The Basics of the game
    - Detailed list of Weapons
    - Detailed list of Armors and Accessories
    - Detailed list of Items
    - Detailed list of States

Lastly, if you like the game, feel free to check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/IncitementRpg

Credits

DEVELOPED BY:

Matthew Ashworth (Matseb2611)

of Astronomic Games

PUBLISHED BY:

New Reality Games

SOFTWARE:

Enterbrain - RPG maker VX Ace

ART:

Enterbrain

Celianna

IceDragon

Thalzon

Hyde (RM Coalition)

Matsuo Kaito

Double Period

Ehcs

Matthew Ashworth

MUSIC:

Joel Steudler

Benjamin 'Scythuz' Carr

Aaron Krogh

Kain Vinosec

Hyde (RM Coalition)

Michael Rancourt

Theodoric

Gyrowolf

Intelligentsia

Jon Jones

Alessandro Cornio

Darren Curtis (Desperate Measurez)

Deceased Superior Technician (DST)

Kevvviiinnn (RM Coalition)

Forever Burning

JDB Artist

Matthew Ashworth

SOUND FX:

Enterbrain

Joel Steudler

Benjamin 'Scythuz' Carr

SCRIPTS:

NeonBlack (RM Coalition)

Modern Algebra

Dekita

Yanfly

Vlue

Jason 'Wavelength' Commander

Jet

STORY and CHARACTERS:

Matthew Ashworth

BETA TESTERS:

Alessandro Cornio

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Stanley, Tsumio, Guiguimu and 14 others like this.
  2. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update!

The beta version is complete and ready for download (check in the intro post for download link). I'd appreciate any feedback that you may have. Although I am unlikely to make major changes to the game (e.g. delete an entire level, change the plot, etc), I'd highly welcome any of the minor changes (e.g. add more skills to a character, balance difficulty of a certain boss, change a line of dialogue, etc). And of course, if there are still any bugs or glitches present, then I'd like to know about them too, so that they can be fixed. Anyone who playtests at least a portion of the game and gives some feedback will be mentioned in the credits of the final version as a beta tester. If for any reason you'd prefer to remain anonymous and not be mentioned in the credits, then please let me know well in advance.

Also uploaded more screenshots and a list of credits. 

3. MarkSA

MarkSA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks great. Pity I don't have the download bandwith to get it.

4. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks man. No worries, this one's just a beta version for now and is likely to have changes added to it before the final version comes out. Thanks for your resources btw. I've only managed to find a few places for the overturned car for now as the others didn't quite fit in the part where I wanted to use them, but I might make use of the other resources that you made before the final version of the game.  

MarkSA likes this.
  5. L'Antipatico 2.0

L'Antipatico 2.0 Master Manipulator Member

First Language:
    Italian
    400mb? That's huge...but who cares? It's sci-fi, and sci-fi means perfection in every way.

Gonna download and try it.

6. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks man. Yeah, the reason for 400 MB is because this is the RTP-inclusive version. I think once the final version is ready, I'll upload the version without the RTP too, which is only going to be about 200 MB.   

7. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The final version of the game is now complete and uploaded. See the main post for the download links. Thanks to all.

The game trailer is coming up shortly.

EDIT: The trailer has been uploaded. Please check the main post. :)  

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  8. Carillon Nightmares

Carillon Nightmares One-Man Operation Veteran

First Language:
    English
    First cool-looking non-RTP game I've seen in a while. I think I'll give this one a try!

Matseb2611 likes this.
  9. Bgamer

Bgamer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This looks very interesting so I gave it a try. I am not sure if later during the game the enemy drop money. As there seems to be a shortage of it and all the item shops are expensive. Also, is there no inn in the game as I keep losing Ammo points when attacking and I cant replenish them without items? I do like that the non-fighting party members level up with the rest of the party. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  10. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya Bgamer. Thanks for checking out the game. The money is usually found in chests or dead bodies (in some levels), but also some enemies do drop it, like the troopers and robots, but for the sake of some realism I didn't have regular beasts/monsters drop it. Which part of the game are you at right now? Most items can be found during the levels, so there's not much need to have to buy them all from the merchants. And the ammo, yes, it might be a good idea to buy it from time to time, but it too can be found inside some of the chests, dead bodies, and also drops from the enemies which utilise weapons of some sort.

As for the inn, no, I didn't include it in the game, but the health and ammo get replenished fully every time the characters travel to the next destination via their spaceship, which happens rather frequently.

I wonder if more people have this issue with ammo. I've playtested the game several times and felt that most times ammo was sufficient (and at times even too much), but I'll see what others say. If enough people say there's no enough of it, I might put some more of it in and update the game.   

11. Bgamer

Bgamer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I am at the part after I get the airship, so quiet early in the game. But I was curious about the enemy drops and that the ammo points decrease when the player use just regular attack. Thanks.

12. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah. I think in the first level ammo is a bit scarce since it's just the beginning, but from the part you're at now it should be easier to find it and it should stack up with time. Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested to hear how this ammo issue goes on with latter parts of the game and whether there's enough of it. (I didn't want to give the players too much of it so that they won't be using strongest specials all the time, because apart from ammo quantity there's nothing else stopping these attacks from being used). 

13. Carillon Nightmares

Carillon Nightmares One-Man Operation Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, there is not enough ammo. I believe the ammo is 20 *currency* and I only have about 60 now. And with the frequent battles that won't let me escape I keep almost running complete out.

Oh and btw the 2nd boss is a little hard - I made it it through, but it was a little unfair.

14. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All righty then. I think it's mostly the first area where ammo is scarce, so I might put in more ammo in there and update the game. Thanks for the feedback. Please let me know if any other part of the game seems to have too little ammo (though I think it should be fine from here onwards). 

15. MagicMagor

MagicMagor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I haven't played much, but i find the second boss fights (against the two guys) way too hard.

The problem with this fight is:

Money is scare, and therefore so are healing items, so it is impossible to stock up or really prepare for this boss fight. I have to fight with whatever i currently have. Also leveling up is therefore not an option.

This would make the fight alone pretty hard, especially combined with the ammo problem (though you will adress this now).

But the insta-revive? At my first try this made me believe that this was a fight i actually had to lose. On the second try i managed to win, but i had to use all my stimulants and most of my healing pills and still one party member didn't survive. With a bit more bad luck concerning which heros the enemy are targetting i could have easily lost the battle just by bad luck. I feel that fight is too hard, given it's just the second boss fight in the game.

16. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All right then. I think once I add some more ammo, it should make it better since the characters won't be limited on what they can do. I will also reduce the defences and evasion on those guys, but I really don't want to remove the insta-revive feature, because it's pretty much the essence of the fight that requires the player to finish them both within the same turn (plus when they revive, they only restore about 1/10th of health). Thanks for the feedback. 

17. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The game has been updated to version 1.1

Here are the changes in this version:

- More spare ammo added in the early parts

- Reduced spare ammo cost (from 35 astras to 30)

- Reduced healing pill cost (from 30 astras to 25)

- Reduced some stats of the second boss(es) for a smoother difficulty curve early on

- More spare ammo added in the last dungeon

- Increased money drop amount of some enemies

- Increased EXP gained from some enemies early on

Both the RTP-inclusive and the non-RTP versions have been updated.

MarkSA likes this.
  18. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just a quick notice about a known bug.

On a rare occasion in the battle screen you might accidentally get side-view battlers to appear (they shouldn't be there since it's a front-view battle system). I think it might be something from one of the scripts, but so far it seems to occur very rarely and only in one area. If this does happen, then simply save your game, then exit it and load it again. The side view battlers should be gone the next time you enter battle. 

19. West Mains

West Mains Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have a question about the plot:

Why would those alien dudes waste so much of their time and resources integrating humans into their own society only to order to kill them at the first hint of any kind of resistance? 

Doesn't seem like a very rational action.

20. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think they originally wanted to kill humanity, it's a set-up by someone else to make humanity look savage and unworthy of integration into their civilisation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013