Karbonic

Off Brand OFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking for a plugin which will allow me to force my game to only use a set color palette, similar to web colors.
As an example of what I mean, here's a mockup using my MV3D game:

Without indexed Colors
1615229384004.png

With Indexed Colors
1615229413693.png
(You may have to click on the image to see the difference)
Is something like this possible with RPG Maker MV?

Karbonic

Off Brand OFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do want to clarify, I would be willing to pay for the development of a plugin to pull something like this off. It would have to be compatible with MV3D, so keep that in mind.
I think it would be possible to pull off as a Pixi.js filter, but I may be wrong.

Also, what I mean by indexed color is forcing the program to only show a set amount of colors from a chosen palette. This was standard with images in the early days of the internet.
1615772241249.png

What I'm looking for is a plugin that forces the game to only use a set amount of colors, and also that allows me to define the palette that the game can choose from, either from an external image, or within plugin parameters.

Here's another example of what I had in mind.

Without Indexed Colors
1615770608447.png
With Indexed Colors (256 colors, Windows Indexed)
1615770643124.png

Attachments

• 1615772143067.png
    1615772143067.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1615772157659.png
    1615772157659.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Karbonic

Off Brand OFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If it's not easily doable maybe mess with the available filters and go for a dithered look and/or dither the input materials by hand/photoshop. I totally understand if you want a live dynamic dither effect though. RU attempting 256 colors? Playstation colors? I use limited palettes going in but my output is wherever it decides to be. Now I'm interested too! Lol. Now I'm picturing my favorite palettes being applied after lighting is... I'll keep an ear out for you.

Karbonic

Off Brand OFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it's not easily doable maybe mess with the available filters and go for a dithered look and/or dither the input materials by hand/photoshop. I totally understand if you want a live dynamic dither effect though. RU attempting 256 colors? Playstation colors? I use limited palettes going in but my output is wherever it decides to be. Now I'm interested too! Lol. Now I'm picturing my favorite palettes being applied after lighting is... I'll keep an ear out for you.
It's good to see another fan of limited palettes. Unfortunately while limiting the pallette of the textures themselves does get a bit closer to the intended effect, it really just isn't the same as a dynamic filter.
I'd probably be going for 256 colors on this, I'm not quite sure how the best way of implementing that would be, but I'm guessing using an external file containing a pallette which the game uses as a reference would be a much better way than just individually putting each color into the plug in.
If anyone knows about setting up filters with pixi.js, I would love some input!

Jeremiah Eastman

Gladiator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This can be done with Gimp if you want to go that route. You can set the amount of colors you want to limit and just run each sheet through the process. If you want more info let me know, hope this helps.

Karbonic

Off Brand OFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This can be done with Gimp if you want to go that route. You can set the amount of colors you want to limit and just run each sheet through the process. If you want more info let me know, hope this helps.
Thanks, but as I said here
Unfortunately while limiting the palette of the textures themselves does get a bit closer to the intended effect, it really just isn't the same as a dynamic filter.
While doing it to the original sheets and textures does look a bit better, it doesn't quite look the same as a screen based filter. (it actually leads to an awkward in between where the resolution is high definition but the textures are very crunchy, it looks a bit odd.)
Thanks for the help though!

Looking around, it seems there is a bit of documentation on creating pixi.js filters.
However, I'm unsure as to how this related to RPG Maker's brand of Javascript (C# is my native language), can any Javascript savvy users point me in a direction?

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I bet someone one the official pixi forums could give some input and quite possibly make you a filter that uses a set palette for color output. Then use the pixi filter plugin for implementation.
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...en-effects-by-pixi-mz-version-released.90368/

There's a filter that limits colors already, by range though. I really doubt it would be that hard for someone that understands pixi and js.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I always end up having issues with things i'd never expect.

Capture.PNG

Those friggin mountains man xD
Time for my daily walk/jog ''Literally starts raining while I open the door''
I just discovered there's a giant jellyfish in the Ace RTP. My day is made.
I'm pretty sure I submitted a username change like 4 months ago.
No offense but uh, still waiting for my name to be updated :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zheyno