Indie Game Maker 2014 - Memories of Andrea

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Tsimcha, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Tsimcha

Tsimcha Veteran

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

Primarily Uses:
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

-The entire intro is far too long and pointless.

-You’re making me water plants and check cows for a simple intro? WHY?

-Text is as bland and stock as can be. It delivers no emotion.

-“Taking a long time to recover” is three days, but “learning to fight to save my wife” is 6 years?

-The infirmary map is way too dark, I couldn’t see what was going on.

-No characters are interesting so far.

-Mapping definitely needs work, it’s all huge and empty.

To the developer: The intro is a huge turn off, as it’s boring and aimless and has no weight. I assume you intended to create some tension by introducing the wife first, but the presentation is so dry it’s just a boring mess. It’s full of pointless, boring steps which have no actual relation to the gameplay. It may have been a better idea to start from the simple scene with the wife by he water ad then show the bandits attacking, as the rest just feels like pointless fluff that’s in the way.

I’m sorry if I can’t seem to say anything positive about this, but overall it felt very…unnecessary. There was nothing about it (that I saw, which was only the intro) that was worth it. Maybe things get better later, but if the intro is such a turn off chances are the players won’t even get there.

Please don’t be too discouraged. I assume you’re still new to game making, and these things are necessary steps to learn.