Lord Kuro

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Aww yiss. I thought there wasn't going to be one this year when nothing was announced in October. I'm glad to have been wrong!

Chrisx994

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any engine means any rpg maker or other engines too?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Pixelent Games : Definitely still enter. The first one on 2014 I started on June 6th, 6 days after the contest started, and still managed to finish a project even though I had to restart it once on the 10th.

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do these have to be exactly 1 hour in length or up to 1 hour? What about 20 minutes or something like that?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do these have to be exactly 1 hour in length or up to 1 hour? What about 20 minutes or something like that?

1. Game Length: Judges will only be required to evaluate a game for 1 HOUR if it passes the screening stage. Any game over 1 hour will be judged only on its first hour.

There's no game length minimum/maximum on the developers. The judges are just required to evaluate based on the first hour, so making it significantly more than one hour won't add to your score.

Chef

yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait I'm a bit confused: Can we use resources like tilesets, characters, plugins and music from others or not? Cause if not that means most if not all the RPG Maker games are a doomed.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait I'm a bit confused: Can we use resources like tilesets, characters, plugins and music from others or not? Cause if not that means most if not all the RPG Maker games are a doomed.

1. You must have the right to use all software, resources, and tools involved in the creation of the game. Please make sure to accredit resource creators in a text file included with your game.

Yes, just make sure to check the terms of use for everything that you use. I believe that the safest thing to do is just use resources for which the creator allows use in commercial games.

Chef

yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. You must have the right to use all software, resources, and tools involved in the creation of the game. Please make sure to accredit resource creators in a text file included with your game.
Yes, just make sure to check the terms of use for everything that you use. I believe that the safest thing to do is just use resources for which the creator allows use in commercial games.
Ah okay, thanks for the quick reply. Luckily I already have a Word file with all the people that helped on my main game so that would mean I could use the same recourses.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I'd suggest reading the judging criteria and then asking yourself if you can make a game that fits those criteria while being only 20 minutes long. That's the important question there.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And even if you only get 20 minutes done, that's still infinitely more gameplay (percentage wise) than those who got 0 minutes of gameplay made! (Isn't math fun?)

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, if you want to get technical, your mathematics are wrong. :p

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, it's undefined. 20 / 0. But many treat that as infinity too.

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, that was the point: if it would be judged and considered if it was really high quality but less than an hour long. The rules weren't explicitly clear on that.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a question. Am I allowed to redo a demo for this contest that I had originally had made for the 2017 Contest?

I don't plan on using the same assets such as sprites and art as that would clearly violate the rules. I don't plan on using the same engine either. I used Vx Ace before now I want to explore Mv. I will be reworking the game from the ground up.

The problem I see is that my Idea or rather image of what I want is pretty much clear, so I feel that would be unfair a bit. However, I would be starting fresh in terms of creating my demo again but this time on a new engine with comepletely new assets I make.

RishigangiX

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Enigma_Productions If it's a completely new game, and the final product is not a demo, I don't think it should be a problem.

I'll be sitting this one out as I've just started working on a new project, but good luck to all the participants. I'll definitely try out the games when they're ready. ^^

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started working on a game around 2 years ago but due to personal issues in my life haven't had time to work on it as much as I wanted. Would I be able to finish a demo of it and enter that into IGMC?

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Kemsyn No, see the first rule:
Development on contest entries MUST be started after the beginning of the contest (October 29th, 2018)

Of course, you are allowed to use that project's idea for your entry, but not any of the actual engine work you did/specific resources you made.
As explained in the FAQ #3:
3. Are pre-existing ideas allowed to be used?
Of course. We can't really tell when you had an idea, so there would be no way we could judge this. If you already made a demo using the idea though, it becomes more borderline. In that case:

1. You can use no assets from the project that do not fall under the pre-existing assets exemption outlined in FAQ question 2.
  2. You can use no programming, or in engine work from your previous version.
In other words, all actual work on the project must be redone from scratch. Even with these caveats, in general, we suggest that you work on a game for which you have never done any engine work, as that will guarantee that your project will not get disqualified for violating this rule.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My home state baseball team is going back to the World Series for the first time since 1999. I remember when they went in 1995 and won, that was like the best day of my life. (I'm a huge baseball fan and yes I'm talking about the Braves).
FL Studio is a huge step up from LMMS but I'm having such a tough time with it D:<
The new Dune movie reminds me of the game Dune 2 made by Westwood. A quality product on its own, but extremely disloyal to its source of inspiration.
Terrible Writing Advice, you've done it again.
1635026211997.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomy1234