Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was under the impression that we were allowed to use existing assets that we've created, as long as work on the project started after the contest began, as mentioned in the first rule.
  1. Development on contest entries MUST be started after the beginning of the contest (October 29th, 2018). Commissions for the contest must also be started after the beginning of the contest. Pre-existing assets that were not created specifically for the contest are allowed.

I was planning on remaking the entire demo from the beginning as there are a number of things I would like to change. If I were to do that would I need to use completely different assets and not the ones I've already made for the game?

Pixelent Games

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just started with the project using some assets from HERO STAFF (My upcoming game), it's allowed!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Kemsyn The way I've read it is that you are allowed to use pre-existing resources, as long as those weren't made for the IGMC project. Since you're remaking a demo any resources you specifically made for that demo are in violation of the rules. Again I refer you to the FAQ #2 and #3.

But if you want to be sure you'll have to wait for @Touchfuzzy to answer.

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If that's the case it's a shame as It would take way too long to remake all the assets. I would've loved to have entered but redoing all the graphics would just set me back too much.

It would be great if I could get 100% confirmation on this as I find the wording a bit confusing and would hate to miss out.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Way I read it, as long as those resources are not made specifically for the game before October 29th they are fine. But if you had them made for something else, they should still be fine.

Myself, if I enter it will either be a spin-off game of The Book of Shadows (showing some events from another POV at the same time) or a card game idea I had. I personally like the card game idea, but not sure I can learn enough scripting to pull it off in a month. But I may try it anyways, the worst that can happen is I tried and failed, right?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Going to give you a little insight into the pre-existing materials clause.

The actual intention of the rule is to allow people to use RPG Maker DLC packs, or use royalty free music or things from resource showcase threads here or Yanfly plugins. Stuff that is publicly available to everyone and not made specifically for the contest.

Of course, because of the way we worded it, it will also include any materials you made, as long as you can prove that they weren't made specifically for the project you are currently working on. In this case. This wasn't the original intention of the rule to be honest, but I realize the way it is written it is the letter of the rule, so that is what we are going with. Remember that you have to be able to prove you worked on it for another reason to use them though!

You can prove this by showing a previously released and DIFFERENT game that contains them. Or that you released them in your own resource showcase. Or that they are sufficiently generic (such as a generic, improved dialogue system plugin) that it is clear it could have been made with any project in mind. Or that you have posts on blogs/forums/social media that predate the announce showing those resources being used in an entirely different project.

RetroExcellent

Cute Kiwi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well it seems that I joined this forum at just the right time. Here I was thinking that I needed some good motivation to jump back into game making. Sounds like I just found it. Count me in. I do have a question though, do I need to do an announcement post somewhere of what my game is going to be, or do I get to be all secretive and work in the shadows like a mad scientist?

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The IGMC's main goal has always been to encourage indie designers to finish their games.

Kinda strange that this is supposed to encourage us to finish our games but we can't use assets from that game. It is what it is I guess.

Good luck to all who enter.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well it seems that I joined this forum at just the right time. Here I was thinking that I needed some good motivation to jump back into game making. Sounds like I just found it. Count me in. I do have a question though, do I need to do an announcement post somewhere of what my game is going to be, or do I get to be all secretive and work in the shadows like a mad scientist?

Your choice

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Kinda strange that this is supposed to encourage us to finish our games but we can't use assets from said game. It is what it is I guess.

Good luck to all who enter.

It's two things, one yes we want people to actual finish games and put something out there, but we also want all the competitors to be participating on a rather even playing field.

If one person is working on finishing a demo he worked on for 2 years and one person is making something for scratch within the month, that isn't really fair, especially with cash prizes involved.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One thing I will say. You can use the contest as incentive to finish that 2 year old demo though. You just can't enter it. I did that in 2017 myself. Just think of it as a way to give yourself a deadline and talk to others about games instead.

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's two things, one yes we want people to actual finish games and put something out there, but we also want all the competitors to be participating on a rather even playing field.

If one person is working on finishing a demo he worked on for 2 years and one person is making something for scratch within the month, that isn't really fair, especially with cash prizes involved.

I understand your point, I was planning to redo everything in the game so it would be entirely new for the contest and just didn't get why I couldn't use my existing assets. I can see how it would be hard to judge when work on the game actually started though as it's not a new project.

One thing I will say. You can use the contest as incentive to finish that 2 year old demo though. You just can't enter it. I did that in 2017 myself. Just think of it as a way to give yourself a deadline and talk to others about games instead.

That's a great idea, I think I'll just use this as a kick in the butt to finish my game. I think that's better than to start a new game and fall even more behind in development.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could use those assets in a new game though. Create a short prequel or spin off or something.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So wait a minute... it says all engines... does that include RPG Maker FES or the PS1 Makers? (There were actually two different ones in English - RPG and Fighter - and at least one Japanese exclusive, Dezaemon.)

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mobiusclimber It also says the game need to run on Windows 7 and higher.

zayyc28fg9yy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mobiusclimber Please put such large images in spoilers for those who may be on phones or some type of limited data. Thank you.

sura_tc

Loner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Other

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That I can tell you it is a solid no. Game must have been started on or after October 29th, 2018.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to clarify - that is also a no on a demo version. You can't use what you've done for that game at all. What you could do is use the characters to tell a side story or a prequel or something that is not the game you've already been working on. But not a demo.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I created the first teaser for my game! I decided to make an animation of Cabaret Helen advertising the Pizza Time Theater, set to an actual radio commercial. But this is no ordinary advertisement...
"Somber melody and stunning visuals takes one through the bittersweet tale of False Rebirth" ~ Marmalade
https://rpgmaker.net/games/12069/reviews/7576/

Got a first review on my game, on RPG Maker dot net. :kaothx:
Nightmare... Dreamt I posted a GFX resource post. With a work in progress glove icon that tinted to different colors. In the wrong forum. And I was in such a panic. I saw people writing posts in response, those "..." you see in discord and such. So I frantically tried to report my post as wrong forum, editing to say it's the wrong forum and that I "accidentally" posted it too early... Very odd dream to be honest...
The youngest photo of you is also the oldest photo of you.
People need to stop submitting their game to every single game jam without even reading the jam rules (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ciirulean