Indie Game Making Contest 2018!

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Archeia, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "Degica reserves first publishing rights for games that win Degica’s Choice, People’s Choice, and/or YouTuber’s Choice." - Does this mean that Degica gets the rights and ownership of the project if it wins in one of those categories? Or is only that it can be displayed in a way that says "look, this is the winner of IGMC"? A better question would be: What does this mean exactly?

2. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From what I understand, is that they will be responsible for publishing your game, or choosing not to for up to 3 years. You cannot self publish or go with another publisher during those times. I also assume it means they will get publisher fees for any sales.

I could be wrong though.

3. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's probably very true if they/he/she didn't clear that sentence up already. Bit of a dick move since it's easy to look over, now I'm not gonna work on the contest anymore :/

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Honestly I'd not worry about that. The $5000 you win would probably be more than you will lose in publisher fees as there are commercial games that don't even make $1000 anymore.

5. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This was my exact thought, plus the idea that someone else will handle the publishing and all I need to worry about is making my game? Sold.

6. Zecdy_Vex_Bensen

Zecdy_Vex_Bensen Cadet Member

First Language:
    Bahasa Melayu
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It doesnt have to be "perfect" right?? Im working everything, besides the engine and rtp from scratch for a simple prototype..

7. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Also at this point, with the added money from the Humble Bundle the total prize money for each prize is over $9,000 [insert DBZ meme here].

8. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @RetroExcellent @bgillisp So it would be (in my case at least) "Developed by ViegolTech" and "Published by Degica Games"? And products that I would make and be approved by Degica Games will be published by them or not in those 3 years. Or is it only a one time thing for the one project you send in?

9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It looks like it is only for that one project, and it appears it has to be one that wins only (if you don't win at all, then you can do whatever you want it). @Touchfuzzy can you confirm?

Chef likes this.
  10. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If @Touchfuzzy is part of Degica Games, I'll quickly explain what I want to do: I have Almanac The Third Portal in development since October 2017. Now I want to make a game for the contest with the same core mechanic and would like the title to just be "Almanac". I know what I have to do to write the mechanic again in a new project without copying anything from Almanac The Third Portal and will be able to do that in just a few days; and then make a new small story and puzzles to fill a minute or 40.
    Another thing is that, if I may actually win, that I would like to continue developing "Almanac The Third Portal" AFTER "Almanac" but I really don't know if that would be under the Degica Games' name because of the word Almanac or that I need to publish it myself after 3 years if Degica Games doesn't want to publish it, or even continue with ViegolTech.
    I know that all is just an "if" but I do want to know all the nooks and crannies before sending something in.
    Thank you anyway for your time!

11. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok, so the way it works, is that if we decide that we aren't interested in publishing the game, you get the prize money, and we release the publishing rights back to you immediately.

If we do, we start negotiating a contract out with you. IP still stays with you no matter what. We'd mostly negotiate what you feel you need to elevate your game, what can we provide in regards to art/programming/music/etc, and of course what we would provide from a marketing and media/storefront connections. Then we'd determine percentages and all that stuff based on that. We fully intend to negotiate in as good of faith as we can to get a deal that is best for everyone.

On to your specific situation. If your entry won, we'd want to work with you to make that entry into a full game and a success. You could, also, make Almanac the Third Portal separately (though we'd prefer if you did it after the game we are working on together), though any materials that we help create couldn't be used in it unless you decided to publish that with us as well.

Honestly, I would hope that if you liked the terms of the entry contract, that you would consider publishing all your games with us, but I can understand choosing not to. :).

12. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for the quick and clear explanation! I'll start when I wake up :)

13. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Mod note:

I've deleted a post in this topic about a person's personal progress on their game. This thread is not for posting about your game for the event - it is for announcements and questions on the event itself.

If anyone wants to share their game and its progress, please create a topic in the appropriate forum or you can post ongoing updates in this thread, if you do not wish to make a full topic for your game: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/igmc-and-november-goals-and-progress-thread.101462/

14. Pixelent Games

Pixelent Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Eng
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Should the price of the game submmited be "No payments" or "0$ or donate"?

15. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No payments.

Marquise* likes this.
  16. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We can't accept donations even if people like the game?

Marquise* likes this.
  17. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Uh oh didn't thought of that aspect... yet...

18. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I mean, you can turn on donations, there is no rules against it I guess. It isn't honestly a big deal as long as you aren't charging money for it.

SanZhang and Tuomo L like this.
  19. Yulia

Yulia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wanted to participate, but don't know what I can do.. Like I have some ideas, but I can't draw environment and I don't know English good enough to write a good story......

20. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Some of the best stories have no words!:kaopride:

Work around your limitations. You may just make something entirely new. d(^^)

Your art is amazing, by the way.:kaohi:

Thothdan, Yulia and RetroExcellent like this.