_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Touchfuzzy can we use profanity?
I mean a few words here and there like "@ssh0le" or something, so the dialogues can be more realistic, wouldn't hurt. Or would it be a bad idea?
I don't mean making a dialogue full of profanity. Just a few words here and there.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Yulia you could just offer your services to someone making a game with your art (which is aesome btw), personally I suck at art, but love doing story and mapping and stuff, but art, and databasg is my worst things.

Or you could make a game using what you can do, and of course there are plenty of people happy to help you with spell checking your writing and stuff.

Chef

yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe it's already stated or written somewhere, or I'm reading over it. But when will the winner(s) be announced?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That date is never set, as it depends on how many entries and RL for the judges. One year it took 3 months though, so once it is over just be patient.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If all things go as planned we are looking at mid to late January for winners announcements. Hopefully we stay on schedule.

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A question from me. The contest mentions prototypes, expecting the first hour of something larger, and possibly working with winners to develop full games. With that in mind, what's the view on placeholder assets?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As long as they don't detract from the game (style clash that kind of stuff), and you have the rights to use them, I don't see it as an issue. Just remember we won't know what is a placeholder asset.

Chef

yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If all things go as planned we are looking at mid to late January for winners announcements. Hopefully we stay on schedule.
Ok nice, somehow I thought it would be half December but that is as good as impossible. I actually wonder if most games will be send in the last few days to extend development as much as possible, at least that's what I'm doing.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Usually 90% of entries are in the last few days. Speeding up judging time is difficult, especially cause if the judges start playing too many games too fast it starts to all blend together.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plus remember there's only 168 hours in a week. If we assume judged can only play 6 hours a day (a generous figure even, as most have to still work and sleep and eat and do other things), that means only 42 games can be judged in a week. That's assuming they can't DQ any quickly or end 5 minutes in on a few.

I recall the 2014 IGMC had over 500 entries, it took them 3 months to judge them. 2015 was over 700, and I think that one was 3.5 - 4.5 months. So it can take a while.

Chef

yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh wow that's a really long time. I would love to help check them all out, but I'll probably be disqualified (not something I want condering developing the demo is all I've done since I said I would make one).

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
2014 I actually played around 160 entries over 2 weeks while also doing the rest of my job plus moving and staying with my parents (there was a 2 week period where I had moved out of my old place but couldn't move into my new place).

I wish to never, ever do that again. I don't remember sleeping all that much.

Last year we actually did manage to stay on track and it took under 2 months iirc.

kaiijuu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does our game *have* be to 1 hour long? I'm not sure if this has been answered or not... but I don't think when I'm done my demo is going to be that long. Is that going to disqualify/lessen points?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It doesn't have to be an hour long. If it is long enough to communicate what you think needs to be communicated to the judges, that is long enough.

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Games MUST be submitted by the deadline (Midnight PST, November, 29th 2018)."

I'm pretty sure what that means is that I can submit my game any time before or during November 29th. For example, if my game was submitted on November 29th at 11:59 PM, then it would be accepted. Right?

Strictly speaking, "midnight, November 29th" is the moment that November 29th begins. Taken literally, that would mean that any entry submitted at, say, 12:01 AM on November 29th would be disqualified. Midnight is the beginning of a day, not the end.

I just want it to be absolutely clear, now that the deadline is looming.

Chef

yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the best option is check the timer on the itch.io page, otherwise the timezones get all screwed up. I suggest you make sure your game is uploaded and well before the timer runs out.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It says Thursday 11:59 on the itch.io page, btw. (And yes, it has a helpful countdown timer as well.)

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh. I didn't notice the timer. That simplifies things. Thanks.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!
I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GutterRat