Indrah plays IGMC2018 entries (Count:26)

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by Indrah, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello! Awesome that you're doing this!
    I have a very short unfinished demo of my game Rhuneworld, it should only take 5-20 minutes or so to play, so I'm not sure if it deserves an entire video, but I'd love to get feedback anyhow!

It does have a couple of bugs along with some typos which I have been made aware of through feedback, can't upload a fixed version due to how itch handles the voting period.

Play it here:
    https://smashartist.itch.io/rhuneworld

Thanks for checking it out if you have time!~ :kaothx:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. SeaPhoenix

SeaPhoenix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd be interested in getting your feedback, @Indrah - I find your reviews useful in gauging whether gameplay is fun or not. Last year you ran into a bug with my game for IGMC 2017 and so this year I hope I've playtested enough that there are no more bugs!

The game is Jailbirds: https://seaphoenix.itch.io/jailbirds and it takes about 40-60 minutes. Thanks!

3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I couldn't manage to upload the videos the last two days so double whammy today! Will probably also stream in the evening too.

3/12/2018 - 2 more games! More like one and a half because bug :kaosigh: Featuring Maki this time too.

06 - Mirror Mirror
    (by @BlackRoseMii and....jackal-something. Sorry I know you were there but I can't find your handle on the game page)
    Decent premise bogged down by too many rough parts and repetition, as well as some eventing errors and unfinished concepts. The whole cafe section seems completely useless right now. Overall it needs some serious streamlining and editing, but I like the fact that there's a core and INTENT to the game. Too many times I get dull, aimless games that exist for no real reason.
    Recommended? Neither here nor there. Needs streamlining.

07 - Rise of the Pharaoh
    (by @Tome571)
    I am sad to report a bug prevented me from advanced quite early into the game. While there were some basic polish issues (font, maps too cluttered, lack of tactics in combat) the "straight to gameplay" bit was nice and effective, and the small puzzle in every room was fine so far. A glitch in a map transfer let me stuck and I was just not up to doing a new game just to pick another dungeon first. Pretty sure eventually I would run into the same bug and be stuck.
    Recommended? Not in current build due to bug.

4/12/2018 - 4 more games! This time featuring @Makio-Kuta AND Sooz!

08 - Umbral
    (by @Kato-A )
    I guess the technical name for this would be an adventure game? Puzzle-adventure? Whatever the genre is supposed to be, it didn't draw me much. There is no denying there was a lot of care in the graphics and they were solid, but execution had some iffy parts. The mapping and conveyance of where to go or what to do had some issues, and gameplay experience was hurt by the engine. The RpgMaker engines have never been ideal for precise collision needed in puzzles as displayed, so it hampers the game a lot and often turned simple actions into annoying trawls. I can't really blame the game or dev for this, but it definitely harms the fun factor. Overall it was okay, and I'm sure people who are more into this sort of thing are liking it, but it was just okay to me, not a standout in its current state, though the graphic work put into it is very good.
    Recommended? If you’re into this sort of puzzlerish thing.

09 - Entrenched
    (by @CMS )
    Interesting. A survival sort of game set into a backdrop of WWII...but badly. There is no denying the game is UGLY. What it's going for is not necessarily bad, playing with rough textures, but everything is so mismatched and put together badly (and the mapping is extremely crude) so it loses a lot of points there. Mechanics are not necessarily bad but rough and barebones, with randomness being king, which is never much of a good thing to me. In the end of the vid we discussed a whole bunch of factors that we feel could help improve it if you're interested. Overall, it's a very rough start and definitely needs a lot of smoothing over.
    Recommended? Only as proof of concept. It needs at LEAST passable graphics.

10 - Dungeon Busters
    (by @KayZaman )
    A mixed interesting experience. On one side, it shows how very simple concepts can be spiced up into fun experiences with only a few elements (some extra options for leveling, simple but effective character dynamics). On the OTHER hand, it's a pity the game is so barebones and lacking in so many areas. Mapping is nearly non-existent. Combat is extremely simplistic and lacks any sort of real strategy. Each character gets ONE magic spell. No real exploration or side content. Also I assume the dev is not English native because the text was VERY rough, but that can be easily fixed, and so can the graphics. Overall it wasn't an unpleasant experience, but the lack of content and polish really let it down on the long run. I hope this develops into a nice little game, it has the base for it.
    Recommended? Probably not AS IS. Needs polish and expansion.

11 - Shine no More
    (by @KittyKitty )
    To put it bluntly, this is a piece of an unfinished intro. Not even the CORE piece, since it doesn't really show us what the actual game is really going to be about. Overall it was okay presentation-wise, definitely can be improved here and there, some of the custom animations and eventing choreography were standout. But as it is the game is just not there yet, so I can't really judge it. It's an aimless bit of game where we still haven't found out what the game's about, and then it ends. The issue here is not so much polish (which it needs, if maybe not AS much as other entries which are prototypes) rather it needs CONTENT.
    Recommended? Nah.

4. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Indrah Twittered.

5. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    05/12/18 4 new games, all of them dull or bad. With @Makio-Kuta as co-star, and hopefully we fixed some of the audio volume crappiness.

12 - Welcome to Hell! Mei Ichikawa
    (by @Isabella Ava )
    I am not very clear on what this game really is. There's a bunch of systems and some neat ideas and art in there, but also a very bad English text, ugly, mismatched art, bad mapping...overall it failed to hook me and hold me, and it especially has to smooth over the writing, because expecting an English audience to take the game seriously with such shaky text is a stretch.
    Recommended? Probably not.

13 - Out School
    (by @kenjivn14 )
    I honestly could not register much of the actual game because the text was so, SO bad. I assume it was quickly ran through Google Translate and not checked.
    Game itself had some issues. Graphics and system stopped being impressive when we realised most of it was bought from packs or off other sources. It wasn't particularly impressive aside from that, and of course it's impossible to tell what the actual story was. Stay away until it has at LEAST a decent translation.
    Recommended? Definitely NOT while the text is so bad (unless you want a laugh).

14 - Marmoribus
    (by @firecat )
    ...Well, what can I say? I'm sorry but this was bad. Nothing about the game feels good to play, and most elements are very clunky and hard to manipulate. Can't say I see myself enjoying this.
    Recommended? No.

15 - Monster Village
    (by @Chez )
    Ding ding ding, bug detected! Aside from getting stuck, and even knowing the twist (not saying here for spoiler reasons) this still failed to grab me. Text-heavy games tend to suffer in livestreams, but even knowing what this game was going for I felt like this lacked a good hook. I liked some of the characters, but I feel like rather than gt a tiny bit with every character it should have focused on more content for each. I can definitely see other people enjoying this one, just didn't catch me much.
    Recommended? Eh. Maybe, if it's your thing.

I messed up Out School's recording so I had to fiddle a bit with it. It'll be avaliable a bit later. If you can't wait just check it out at the Twitch archive.
    Fixed.

Isabella Ava likes this.
  6. firecat

firecat Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    no problem it was an idea to do something new to get attention and rushed to build the game to be working that the controls become not important to me and hope it was easy to use.

7. Rose Guardian

Rose Guardian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  8. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    6/12/2018 again with Makio. Onyl 2 games, but one of them was quite cool! Definitely recommend you try Momo Bomber.

16 - Momo Bomber [Recommended!]
    (by @Marian Hurricane )
    I’m always nervous when I see pretty games, because it’s often a trap meant to entice and draw in players and is often an excuse to have weak gameplay. Happily and despite its problems Momo Bomber is shaping up to be a cool and fun little game.
    Presentation is great, progression is fine, though some levels need fiddling at least while the control is so…icky. The RPG aspects needs some balancing but that is within the prototype build’s expectations. The controls are by far the worst of it as they turn an otherwise fun little hybrid RPG/platformer into a RPG/”Oh come ON!”platformer. The player is in a constant state of sliding on ice, so making precision jumps is annoying.
    I hope this game gets expanded and polished, it was fun, even in its rough state.
    Recommended? Yeah! Though it’s a bit rough.

17 - Ironblood
    (by @kovak )
    I imagine this game was very heavily influenced by Bloodborne, but doesn’t get anywhere near it in quality. There are many problems with it (features not explained, uneven reward among party, bad dialog and conveyance, messy mapping) but by far the WORST and one I cannot forgive is how queasy the graphics made me. I assume this used a plugin to zoom into the map to have a closer camera, but the engine is clearly not prepared for it and everything wobbled and vibrated all over the place, making for a very uncomfortable experience, especially on the first maps. The general ambience if you don’t look too close has a cool rotting desolate feel, but if you pay any attention you notice a huge amount of mapping errors.
    I’d say trim it down, tighten it up, and polish, polish, polish. It could be neat, but having as many unexplained and loose features in such a short product makes it so none feel important or wanted. Could be neat with some work, but as is it’s disappointing.

9. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Indrah i've watched the video till the end, i couldn't believe how much i've laughted...we commited so manny sins.
    I wrote a devlog 3 days ago talking about some points you've mentioned and you've pointed some gameplay aspects that we didn't noticed or preffered to ignore.

Not gonna give excuses here cuz it won't make the prototype better, i'll just ask you to try to talk to the same npc more than once.

Thx for playtesting

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  10. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    8/12/2018 3 more games with Sooz as voice master!

18 - Let's Make a Game!
    (by @scitydreamer )
    Game about the woes and tribulations of not managing to finish games. I think. I will give it this: it IS complete. While it was decent concepts it botches the execution a bit too much for me to feel strongly about it, but it may resonate better with you. Who knows?
    Recommended? No strong feelings one way or the other. Maybe try it if you feel down about dev.

19 - Judged for Crime
    (by @Tuomo L )
    THIS WAS A REQUEST. Do not let it be said I did not warn people I would be biased and harsh, it’s right there on the opening post, bolded, even.
    I’ve never made a secret of disliking the games from this developer so I won’t bother arguing for unfairness. It’s not a HORRIBLE game but it’s dull and shoddy all over, with infuriatingly annoying design decisions all over the place.
    Recommended? No. A thousand other games do this better.

20 - AUI [Recommended]
    (by @ProGM )
    A platformer game with a good gimmick, switching from lava blob to rock for different interactions. It DEFINITELY needs polish, as it is it lacks a definite sense of feedback, little sound, a clue as to what coins even do, etc, but the art and the level design stand out.
    If I sounded bitter or annoyed it was in the way that I was trying to play this as a DONE and FINISHED game, which it is not. For a proof of concept prototype it is impressive. The art is very pretty, and I definitely love the design of the little magma blob and the intro lore scene murals.
    We got stuck in the second level with no way to advance we could find so adjusting the feedback is definitely vital. Definitely a standout for people into platformers.
    Recommended? Yes. Especially if you like platformers.

Only 6 more requested games left!

ProGM likes this.
  11. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for playing my game! Sorry to hear that you didn't like it.

12. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    10/12/18 - 3 more games, only 3 more requests to go and we do as we want! Today with @Makio-Kuta (and an attempt by Sooz whose computer betrayed her)

21 - Endless Green
    (by @FalseCitrine )
    Neat setting not exploited enough to really shine. Too many aspects of the game are shoddy for me to be engaged, and lacks a strong hook. Gameplay is dull and clearly not very balanced, and explorative mapping is…irritatingly uneven. Needs polish, as the setting could be interesting, but as is I don’t see it as good.

22 - Rhuneworld
    (by @SmashArtist )
    This game suffers the same problem that I had with Shine no more, but even worse: it’s only a small piece of the start of the game, and not even an interesting or telling piece. It fails as a prototype because it does not really show what the meat of the game is going to be like, nor does it work as a demo of the intro of the game because it’s so clearly unfinished and lacks any content. Some of the custom graphics clearly have love into them, but as is they don’t work to replace everything else.
    Recommended? Definitely not in its current build.

23 - Jailbirds [Recommended (as proof of concept)]
    (by @SeaPhoenix )
    To be fair, I was expecting too much out of this game after liking the dev’s last year entry: Rock and the Rose. This is clearly a prototype which shows the core of the game well enough, yet as a prototype lacks content and polish, as expected (man I don’t like prototypes at all I want full games…)
    Taking care of the jailed animals is for now quite basic but perfectly functional, don’t think I came across any bugs. I don’t doubt some tricky eventing went into it. The menus are a standout. The tone in the writing is a tad off and the mapping passability is a pain and the townspeople all seem useless to bother talking to, but then again I assume it’s still too early to tell.
    Also, all the humans except the protagonist suck. Idyllic town my ass. Also, what sort of MONSTER gives me a pet command and punish me by lowering animal friendship? XD
    Recommended? Sure, but probably more when expanded.

SmashArtist likes this.
  13. SmashArtist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, thanks a bunch for your opinion!
    I have been told the game in it's current form doesn't show enough gameplay and I do agree with it. I ended up focusing too much on something more polished than really getting the idea for the gameplay/game as a whole while developing. This is something I'll keep in mind if I ever participate in a future jam similar to this year's IGMC.
    I was hoping that the story would be interesting enough as it is the core focus of the game. Is there anything specifically that you thought could have more improvement in terms of the story? Feel free to not respond if you don't have any further comments to make.

Thanks again for checking it out, gives me some insight on what needs improvement!

14. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello! I am the other person on Indrah's stream, (I've also watched Liberty's stream) and I hope you don't mind me offering some insight. What I think would have helped a lot is more focus. Just as we don't know what the gameplay is, we also don't know what your story hook is. It's an intro that has been done many times - amnesiac protagonist is forced from home by an evil force. What is it about Rhuneworld's story that makes it Rhuneworld? What sets it apart?

We have the crystals, but in the demo we do nothing with them. Are they an important part of the world and story? What about grandma? The things that make Rhuneworld's story special are not showcased. From what I gathered from this game's prototype, the main thing you wanted to showcase were the graphics, I actually wouldn't guess it was the story.

Watch story trailers for media you like; what is it about the trailer that grabs you? You will notice that they will build up the world and characters and the elements that make that story unique to it. They will also often showcase the story's themes - revenge? change? acceptance? love? deceit? What kind of story does Rhuneworld want to tell, what sort of world does Rhuneworld inhabit, what sort of characters will drive the plot forward? What are their goals and desires at the most basic levels? These are things I personally would expect from a story based prototype or trailer - and these are the things I do not think Rhuneworld answered for me.

SmashArtist likes this.
  15. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SmashArtist well, you could start with an actual hook to the story. Nothing about it was particularly engaged or presented in an interesting way, so to any player with a reasonable amount of experience there is nothing much to see.
    Personally I'm all about character dynamics, some people are more into complex plots. Overall the dialog was not BAD, but neither was it particularly engaging or funny. Characters barely seem to have any defined personality (in fairness, very early to tell) and there's a lot of "tell, don't show" going on.
    I mean, why not skip the whole narration and get to experiencing the story? If the MC has lost his memory, maybe see him not react at all to the friend or actually be ANXIOUS about a social situation.
    Example: MC is helping grandma with her crystals (show her tastes), has chores to do, goes outside (see world), show he doesn't want to go near the town, find enthusiastic friend, try to evade him (social anxiety, distrust), friend does not understand, maybe he follows you home (friend shown as persistent and a bit annoying) and you finally realise he does not remember anything from year X (amnesia reveal). Instead the game TELLS us all these aspects in a way that is like reading a checklist, aka not engaged or involving at all.
    Also the friend was written too annoying and fake-ish for MY taste. Though that's entirely my bias.
    Try to see it from an outsider perspective: it doesn't need to be ORIGINAL (everything's been done before but people still ENJOY things when executed well). Is this engaging? Is it hooking you in on its strengths, enough to dismiss its weak spots? So far, I cannot say that is the case, because there were a lot of problems and very little strengths on display. Arguably the strongest was the art, and even that was very clearly still on a very unfinished early stage.
    So yeah. Needs lots of works, and personally I'd entirely revamp the structure and execution of the intro.

SmashArtist likes this.
  16. SmashArtist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you both for your thoughts, I can see how non-original the story seems now. I'll be working hard in the next build to expand and improve on what I showcased in the first version.

I appreciate how you both put in the time to explain what you got from the game in it's current form. Really helps! :kaohi:

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  17. SeaPhoenix

SeaPhoenix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for playing Jailbirds, @Indrah and @Makio-Kuta! It was useful getting your thoughts on how to improve the game, e.g., having a mini-map, passability (especially since I play with the mouse), the every day grind which can become tedious, potential prison upgrades (yes, the idea would be to automate some of the tasks), the personalities of the townspeople, etc. It was also useful to know that a number of people prefer not having time limits, because I did think of implementing a stamina and time system, but only if that would make the game better. I also commiserate with Indrah because I thought the friendship system in Harvest Moon was annoying as well (which is why I'm like Maki and I just ignore them), so I'll have to think about how to make it more rewarding.

Again, I appreciate the constructive feedback - that will help me decide if it's worth developing the game further. This is definitely a game where you have to suspend belief, as Maki said, and for me as the developer, the most fun part was coming up with ridiculous crimes for the animals (and make it somehow related to their personalities or fairy tales).

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  18. sephmon

sephmon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  19. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    11/12/18 +2 games with @Makio-Kuta

24 - Princess Showdown
    (by miraclejester)
    A platformer still in its early stages. Design seems a tad bland and controls on keyboard are iffy. Platformers like this are not really my thing so after some frustration I just gave up, sorry u_u
    Recommended? No idea, platformers aren’t my jam.

25 - Dark Slayers
    (by @Rose Guardian )
    This is…a mess. Lots of problems, very little to salvage in its current stage. The ideas aren’t necessarily bad, but the execution is poor. Needs a lot of work.
    Recommended? Nah.

12/12/18 One more game (which went LONG) with @Makio-Kuta

26 - Rising Saga: Origins [Recommended once polished]
    (by @sephmon )
    This game, for such an early project for the dev, has no right being this decent. There are definitely problems with it, for sure, but at the base it’s engaging, and exactly the type of game I tend to enjoy with lots of character interaction. We go in the video for a long time so I won’t repeat myself but yeah. Good job, I expect great polish and quality from this in the future.
    Recommended? Once polished, definitely, if you're into JRPGS

There will be no streaming tomorrow, more on Friday.

sephmon likes this.
  20. Rose Guardian

Rose Guardian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for at least giving my game a chance. I was glad to hear your helpful thoughts, and opinions. :)