RMMV Indrah's IGMC2017 Let's Plays and notes. 50 games and counting

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Indrah, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Halo! In the first IGMC I set out to play a whole bunch of games (they climbed up to 80 or so). And after an extra intense month of my own dev, I decided to decompress by plowing through a whole new bunch of entries.

>NO RULES! I do what I want :kaosalute:I'm not a judge, I don't need to be impartial, have minimum times or anything of the sort. My opinion is my own and that't it.
    >No warranted feedback notes. The videos will be the main thing, and I MAY give notes for some projects, but I'm not really up for doing what I did a couple years before. It rarely turned out well :kaophew:
    >CHAOS! Going in alphabetical order is a bad time so I'll just pick. I have a list I will use and if I have no other games to play that day I'll go by alphabet, but otherwise I'll jump all over the place, though I WILL try to put them in alphabetical order if I can.

ABOUT REQUESTS:
    You CAN ask me to play your (or just a) game, just be warned that I won't necessarily like it and I don't censor myself very well. It too many requests come I may miss some. I also may say no simply because I don't want to

I'll have a very rough grade system. The numbers mean nothing, and it's purely my opinion in full bias:
    5 WOOO! A game is super cool and I love it.
    4 Good A game is cool, or just well rounded but not entirely my thing.
    3 Just okay Maybe it's full of holes or maybe it's well executed but against my tasted. The "neutral"
    2 Meh Neither here nor there. Don't like it but don't hate it.
    1 Ugh Not for me. Not the worst, but it doesn't feel like my thing at all or its messy.
    0 NOPE I hate it, somethig about it irks me, or was just overall a waste of time for me.
    Disqualified - Breaks the rules, crashes, doesn't carry the necessary files, etc.

I'll put in the entry links to all the games I touch so if you like them remember to leave them a comment and a rate!
    And hey, definitely play and rate my own game, too! :kaojoy:

ONWARD TO MADNESS!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>Full Youtube playlist over here.<<

A Conga's Tale
    At Last Alone: Risen
    Azure Isle
    Darkness of Hope - The Pocket Watch
    Deadly Halloween Party
    Dear Edwin
    Depression Level 50
    Dream Devourer
    Dreamscapes
    Einherjar
    Eremiel
    Final Winter
    Golden Pearl
    Happy Slappy
    Hello Blue Echo
    Human Extinct
    Idol Goddess Made Captive 2017
    John de TNT
    Journey of the Scroll
    Journey to the East
    Knights of Gaia
    Legends of Astravia
    Light in the Dark
    Lightvale - Secrets of Sorrow
    Lucie
    Monster Girl University
    Monstruct
    MOOP
    Once Upon a Spirit
    Paletta
    Project Absence
    Project Witch
    Quidget
    Recondite
    Sample09
    Spooked
    Star Child
    Starfall
    Stay Inside
    That Which Binds Us
    The Deep
    The Dragons of Elion
    The Last Boy on Earth
    The Legend of Protey
    The Lost Kingdom
    The Protest Vote
    The Rock and the Rose
    The Sculptor
    UNDERSTOOD
    Unsung Heroes
    Whispers
    YOMOTSU

Covered Games 50 games covered so far!
    Sorted by date. Title+link / developer grade / brief note. If I make further notes on a game I'll put them separate somewhere.
    List is getting huge, put under spoilers.
    06/11/2017 +7
    Chose 7 games, two of which didn't make it into the "counts" section. A bit shaky on the feedback yet simply because I haven't seen enough entries to know the "standards" and what I can realistically expect from games. Star Child best game of the day.
    Knights of Gaia by Stranga Games
    Disqualified Does not come with all files/seem to be a demo.

Dream Devourer by radiantcadenza [VIDEO LINK]
    Disqualified Game freeze due to passability error and no saves.

Dreamscapes
    by pianotm [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh Didn't grab me at all. Pretty bland.

Once Upon a Spirit by LucyFox [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay Pretty graphics, abruptly short, unsatisfying ending. Had a feel cool moments with the creepy atmosphere.

The Protest Vote by Balloon Co. [gaming division] [VIDEO LINK]
    0 NOPE I don't even know what this is meant to BE man. Troll game? Satire? Bitterness?

Whispers by MinisterJay
    1 Ugh Didn't get recorded. Woops. It was very rough and looked more like a protoype.

Star Child by AtlasAtrium/InazumaTheLightning [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good A pretty cool game, I think? Has a few rough aspects but is overall complete and whole, even if some choices aren't much my thing.

08/11/2017 +4
    By far the best one today was MOOP. Enherjar I count for now as Disqualified becuase I'm pretty sure I ran into a bug that blasted most of the actual point of the gameplay =_=

Unsung Heroes by @Jesse - PVGames [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good This one was for the Secret Santa, so I'll take a moment to go a bit more in-depth below. The short version: if you like high fantasy and care more about party composition than actual character personality, go for it.

Einherjar by @watermark [VIDEO LINK]
    Disqualified I have absolutely no idea of what happened, but I'm pretty sure I bugged out the game, making the main mechanic of the game to summon the so-called big historical and myth figure impossible to make. I was forward to making terrible jokes about Helena of Troy and Cleopatra:kaosigh:

MOOP by @Geoff Moore [VIDEO LINK]
    5 WOOO! SO BLOODY CUTE, UGH. A really nice little package of cuteness, as expect of the same dev that made Oh! Ko! Cute and light with feelgood parts. The graphics are adorable and fit really well. The only thing I could complain about is that the "puzzle" bits are extremely obvious, but on the other hand that means no mess of having to find out by trial and error? Definitely worth a try.

Yomotsu by @Kyuukon [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh Not a bad start, but the combat is just...dull. It's a chore and there's no real strategy involved, the hud looks nice but it blocks out skill descriptions (why???) enemies have a way higher mp than really necessary, the second encounter just requires you to sit there and be patient...when I died on the 4th or 5th encounter I had no interest in continuing.

At Last Alone: Risen by @djbeardo [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh An isometric strategy rpg made in rpgmaker! Thats...good? As a proof of concept it's all very well, but in practice it runs clunkily, the presentation was unappealing and I just flat out aren't suited for the genre. I only bother with Srpgs if the characters or the story reel me in. This wasn't the case, sorry.
    13/11/2017 +4
    A rather conflicting day. The best one, Spooked, seems to be bugged and can't be finished :<
    On the plus side, I managed to rope in @Makio-Kuta into streaming with me :kaopride:

Monstruct by @hadecynn [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh Game may pick up later but the first twenty minutes are dry and tutorial filled with no spice. Despite all the tutorials it is not at all intuitive how the game operates, and of all the reasons for making monsters we could have it chose a really bland one. Not for me.

Darkness of Hope - The Pocketwatch by @rondchild [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh This is what people mean when they say fancy graphics aren't everything. I can't tell what the hell is going on since the it did not explain anything about itself outside frankly irrelevant stuff, and the gameplay is...a cutscene, pretty much. Graphics were custom and nice enough but that doesn't make a good game by itself.

Spooked by @SorgeElenchus [VIDEO LINK]
    Disqualified? Seemed nice enough, but a bug seems to prevent me from continuing. Which was a bloody shame, I was into it :< Now we will never know the ending. It would have been a "Good", probably, but as it is it can't be finished (or it's extremely obscure to do so).

Understood by @just1witness [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay A very clear "first project". Not a bad start but definitely very rough in multiple places. Feels a bit empty for me in the end, and the entire game seems to be "do random errands and finish with a scene out of nowhere". Still, a first project, in a month, for a contest. Not a bad try within those parameters. Still not GOOD for me but not painful.
    13/11/2017 +5
    More combo with Makio! Why are so many cool games bugged at the end in some form? WHY? Anwyay, I liked the Rock and the Rose the most, despite a rather mean bug in the ending conditions. It was cute and comfortable.
    Understood by [VIDEO LINK]
    Dear Edwin by @Gabrelik [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay Excellent custom graphics, no question abou that. But nothing else about the game really appealed to me much. There was nothing broken or outwardly terrible, but it didn't hold my attention. When your walk and talk game doesnt feel good when walking (speed, passability clunk issues) and the talking (long, dry text) it's a bit of a problem. Not for me, though I'm sure it works for other people. The maps are impressive and really nicely detailed, but sadly clunky and empty to navigate.

Legends of Astravia by @BoisterousHero [VIDEO LINK]
    Not complete Not a bad start, especially for a first game for the dev, but on the game's own admission it is not finished and the combat is just broken. A clean start and a serviceable "movie" intro, with nice maps (despite the tiling issues). A good start on the whole development cycle.

The Legend of Protey by @chalkdust [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay Not a bad concept, and execution was nice enough, but the frankly ridiculous walking speed and backtrack penalties are just a deal-breaker for me. Unsure if it's an eventing bug that left the player at a lower speed or what, but there is just no way I will play the whole game that slowly.

The Rock and the Rose by @SeaPhoenix [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good (+Bug?) A nice and simple little Inn management game. There wasn't much to it but it held my attention very well for the duration with its simple mechanics and charm. I was very upset at what I assume is an eventing mistake in the ending, making the completion of the game's goals impossible and killing my boner considerably. It's a pity that marred what was otherwise an enjoyable romp.

The Last Boy on Earth by @JacobM [VIDEO LINK PART1] [VIDEO LINK PART2]
    3 Just okay Appealing graphics and nice intro (thought the death of the character is so cliched and obvious in practice it's a bit of a joke). The mechanics are implemented cleanly, but there doesn't seem to be a core to the game, the ending seems rather tacked on like the game I spent struggling against it had no real payoff. Also, the game HATES my computer something fierce with severe memory leak problems that caused two different crashes (unsure if it was the streaming on top of the game or what but it was a mess to experience). An okay game, but I feel it lacks a strong core, a "point" to the adventure besides just kind of existing.

19/11/2017 +6
    Today was a pretty bad day. 5/6 games were pretty bad or unfinished, and the last one, while cool enough, had problems. So...welp :kaoswt2:

Stay Inside by @OzzyTheOne [VIDEO LINK]
    Demo only / Decent amounts of polish, but has issues. Too dark, dashing disallowed for no good reason on some maps, pretty cliche development so far...could be the start of something neat, but there's not enough content to be able to tell yet.

Happy Slappy by @Tao Oat [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / It was fun for five minutes. Some actions when slapping were fun, yes, but it was WILDLY inconsistent as to what could be slapped, and the mapping was frankly offensive *snooty mapper huff*. With some polish and direction could make for a solid comedy entry, but as is its too rough and uneven.

Sample09 by @richter_h [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / Decent presentation, but falls flat on execution. Monsters are decidedly non-threatening and not scary at all, there's no real danger, the protagonist would be better left mute, and I have no idea what's up with the doors. Could be made into a nice little suspense/horror game, but as is it's just dull now.

The Deep by @Allan Bays [VIDEO LINK]
    1 Ugh / I'll be honest, and I do not mean to be offensive: this feels like an extremely rough first project folling a checklist of things you have in an RPG, but a lot of them are botched. Add character? Check. Dungeon? Check. basic skills? Check. By itself that would not be bad, but the mapping is bad, the writing amounts to nothing, there is no plot or setup, everythign feels randomly placed and just overall rough. Gameplay emerges somewhat unscathed and does just okay, but there is nothing appealing about it either. Even as a first project I would say this is still in VERY early stages and needs a lot of work. The best I can say is that there were no bugs I could find.

John de TNT by @aLvhine--- [VIDEO LINK]
    1 Ugh / Not going to lie, the best I can say is that sometimes this was such a mess it was funny. I have no idea what the intention of the game is. The setting is confusing, the story doesn't properly explain anything, characters are complete aliens and I have absolitely no idea if the game is trying to ACT edgy as comedy or it's trying to be "cool" and edgy in honesty. It was bad.

Project Absence by @Nirwanda [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good (with conditions) / We had the dev in the stream which definitely helped this playthrough out. Without him pointing it out there was NO WAY we could have found the boss, so he was lucky XD This game was nice enough. Writing was solid, custom graphics were appealing with some clutter exceptions. Lots of loot, nice upgrades. I do have issues with a bunch of things as stated in the video AND the difficulty spike in the second area is a complete dealbreaker...should I be giving this a 4...? Anyway it was a solid product. I've no idea how much longer it is, but if it had ended right there it'd had been a decent entry. Still needs polish in multiple rough spots, but enjoyable enough. Still NEEDS fixing for the balance because there is just NO WAY the first fight should one-shot the tank android XD
    20/11/2017 +3
    Very short day. Only three games and none of them much good to me, one of them being pretty darn terrible.

Depression Level 50 by @Gigglemoo [VIDEO LINK]
    No Grade / This feels like a very "my own story" sort of game and I am NOT confortable at all with bashing that. It was...dull. I'm not sure if that's the point. It's not particularly badly made and the writing isnt BAD, but it's not engaging, at least in my situation. I'm not giving this a grade. It did not work for me, and that's about all I can really say.

Deadly Halloween Party by @Zelgadis85 [VIDEO LINK]
    0 NOPE / I don't think many games have made me angry in sheer lack of competency during this contest. This is a hot mess. The mapping is a mess, the writing is dry, there is absolutely zero ambience. The game seems to want to be a horror game but nothing about it is even REMOTELY threatening. The music is cheery, everyone is just fine. It's light and no real obstacles are in the way. That could be a just "bad game" on its own, but an adventure game has the GALL to have NO freaking interaction points! In a game genre where it's all about exploring and inspecting stuff, there are no inspection points? Only in ONE room I managed to trigger some actions that did...nothing. This was just plain bad. Needs a lot of work or a straight up scrap and rebuild. A lot of the basics here are outright ignored. If this was just a first/experimental project, the result is a resounding "does not work, more practice needed".

A Conga's Tale by @Nicola [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay / Cute, if a bit rough graphics. Clearly effort went in, and while the style is not my thing it functions okay. I'm not much into more childish stories with no real point to the tasks besides "just do this next" so this didn't grab me. Some people were clearly enjoying it in the stream chat so I'm obviously not the major opinion on that. One thing I can objectively say is that battles felt rather boring and need to either be way shorter or more interesting.
    22/11/2017 +4
    OH BOY today was such a shitshow :kaodes: First game was decent platformer that didn't grab me much, second tried TWICE to murder my computer (and severed my internet connection twice for MYSTERIOUS reasons) and the third...
    Ladies and gentlemen. Gather around to see how the potato finally goes bonkers and starts shouting and smacking her dayum table in distress. Wailing included :kaomad3:
    Fourth was ok but a bit lacking in polish details.
    if you're the sort who enjoys me losing my shit, watch The Lost Kingdom video :kaophew:

Starfall by @chaucer [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay / A decent platformer. Functional, the jump was a tad clunky, but nothing big. I'm simply not huge in the genre and playing with a keyboard is tricky. Not bad, but not my thing.

Eremiel by @Frogboy [VIDEO LINK]
    Bugged / This game despises my computer so fiercely it destroyed my internet connection twice. I have absolutely no idea what the game is doing behind the scenes but on its first run it froze my pc for a solid minute and borked Discord, and on the second it briefly cut off my internet connection.
    Game itself is a kind of decent platformer with not a lot to offer. Story isn't particularly compelling, graphics are extremely barebones, mapping is disappointing and gameplay is stock at best, dodgy at worse. Collision was extremely dodgy. A good proof of concept, I guess, but not appealing. Eventually the game locked me out of progress by teleporting me out of bounds :kaophew:

The Lost Kingdom by @ghorba96 [VIDEO LINK]
    **LET ME SPECIFY: this game is not HORRIBLE. It's pretty bad, don't get me wrong, but what happens in the video is the culmination of a ton of games so far that have been poor, not only this one. I kind of lost my mind. And hey, if you wanted impromptu mapping tips...**
    1 Ugh / Terrible mapping, badly delivered barebones story, boring gameplay, messy eventing. There is nothing to make this game appealing right now. It needs a lot of work, but the mapping was particularly bad.

Light in the Dark by @Skyforger007 [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay / Already mentioned at the end of a video a lot of things. It's decent, but overall lacks appeal. It's fully functional and decently polished, but a lot of dev choices make the experience worse. With some streamlining and adjusting in tone and narrative it could be neat, but right now it's just kind of there.

29/11/2017 +3
    3 games, two messes and a decent premise with somewhat messy execution. In the second vid we had another session of "snap and spend too much time remapping the terrible game".

Lucie by @motta [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / I'll be honest, this seems to me like a mishmash of elements from popular horror RM games like Mad Father, A Witch's House and similar, but doesn't match up to those at all, so it all feels bad. The mapping is very rough and flawed, there's no ambience outside the music and a few scattered sound effects, the puzzles while not terrible have no actual payoff and the main, biggest problem is that its not scary at all. There's a decent base to build off from, but it needs a lot of polish. I can only say having played the games this seems to inspire itself from, it does not match them at all.
    Quit at the angel chasing you because it was ridiculously unfair and I had no patience to wait for the random movement of it to favour me.

The Dragons of Elion @Trivi [VIDEO LINK]
    *Includes a solid half hour of me remapping bad maps, because I can.
    1 Ugh / This is terribly rough all around. Not even something as simple as a intro or text crawl is made well. The game starts in a tutorial with it being introduced quite literally as the Tutorial Room, which is a horrible way to introduce a game. Even if skipped it broke all mood. The text crawl was horrible because it was such a wall of solid text we could not read it in time. The characters were not introduced past the wall of text we could not catch anayway, the mapping, especially the interiors, was a mess. All interactable points were somehow evented as CHESTS? The two physical character only had the repeat of their attack skills which was a friggin joke...it was bad, I'm sorry. I'd start clean and yank away a ton of fluff and put in some actual content and some at least basic polish.

Journey to the East by @Ennacrima [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay / It's a rythm game, as I'm not good at those this colors my bias a lot. Overall the art and the writing were engaging, and the battle system mechanics are well made, but the devil is in the details and the fact is that the game is a hassle to play. Combat is engaging, but also gives you not time to rest nor has any real tactics. Encounters quickly build up in number, and there's no reward for them at all. Skills are bland, characters can be poorly introduced and overall it just got very tiring. Adjusting a few things such as lowering encounter rate, giving a lot more time to choose your actions (not the action itself, just choosing what to do next) and making enemy actions a lot faster would help this game a lot. As it is it just loses its charm very quickly and gets bogged down into annoyance. By far the best about it was the art.
    2/12/2017 +5 (on disqualified for not being playable)
    Today we had one very bad game, one meh game, a solid entry, and a good game! It was a neat scale from suck to good! After this, IM FREE AS A BIRD to play whatever I like next! Bwahaha!

Journey of the Scroll by @Kokoro Hane [VIDEO LINK]
    *Includes third session of impromptu re-mapping.
    1 Ugh / This was an extremely rough project. The mapping was disastrous, the story made no real sense and the flow of it was bad. Voice acting was so sparse it had no point. The story made no sense and characterisation was weak at best. I didn't even get to see a battle before I got annoyed enough to quit. By far the best part about it is the title art, which almost feels like false advertisment :kaoeh: This needs a lot of work.

Lightvale - Secrets of Sorrow by @Caitlin
    NOT PLAYED Entry version did not work, disqualified.

That Which Binds Us by @MikomiKisomi [VIDEO LINK]
    NOT GRADED / I feel like we were probably harsher than necessary on this. I don't wanna really grade a demo, I guess if I did it would be between a Just Okay or a light Meh, not sure. My main problem with the game is that it does not go full out for either an adventure or a visual novel style, and just sticks in the middle with the worst aspects of each, so we get NO narrative or description, but no graphical portrayal of what's going out either. The mapping is extremely barebones, the SINGLE CHOICE in the game boils down to the same thing, and the characters were largely unlikeable as far as I was concerned. I felt like I could see the twists coming miles away so there wasn't a big sense of mystery. It needs work. As a demo it works to get a feel of it out, but it doesn't engage me much.

Final Winter by @Talonos [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good / A solid entry. I admit roguelikes or start anew every run are not my thing so I'm biased, but it's well put together. The first couple runs were fun, but when those were over and progress became slow (or non-existent) it got annoying quick, particularly when the game has the GALL to tell me to just "skip past monsters and gather treasure". YOU LYING HOOR HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT I TRIED YOU ARE A VILE NEST OF LIES. :kaolivid:
    So yeah. Putting in some sort of shortcut or even making switching or certain enemies stay GONE would help, I feel. The battles got boring quick and the screen transfer from in-out battle got really tiresome, especially since during it the map's characters (and the awaiting encounters) have a delay before loading so it's extremely easy to just bump into a new enemy without a chance to evade it (which means I can't really run from enemies you lying game!). Overall it's a solid game that had me entertained for a while, and while I do have problems with it most of them come from it not being my type of game. Solid for what it is, but not sure I'd be patient to finish it.

Recondite: The Phantasm Emporium by @Suoish [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good / I had a lot of fun with this, but it had its caveats. Presentation in general is well-polished and I love the two main character's dynamics. The combat system is cool, I think, but I'm terrible at real time systems so I was more anxious and clumsy than anything. The concept of the alchemy was cool and fairly well implemented, but it really plummeted my engagement when they asked me to do five copies of the same laborious process to get started.
    So yeah. Characters are great, presentation is good, combat was okay as far as I can tell but not my thing, and the crafting was...interesting, but definitely not somethin I want to do constantly because it can very easily get tedious.
    One minor complaint that I got really annoyed at was switching up the controls. Why would you switch the default accept? I kept canceling or misclicking because the order of Accept/Cancel keys on the keyboard had been switched around :kaosigh:
    I feel like I would enjoy this game. I would have to finish it off to see but I've no idea how long it is and I don't think long games do well in stream mode. I'm not a very good commentator if the game is actually good.:kaoblush:
    04/12/2017 +4
    BOOBIE GAME DAY....had really disappointing games, I'll be honest. Only one of them was kidna fun in a bad way and the rest were extremely half assed demos or devoid of any "game". I'm sad :kaodes:

Human Extinct by takkonguy [VIDEO LINK]
    between 0 NOPE and 1 UGH / This was a bad game, plain and simple. There was absolutely nothing to it aside from a few fanservice shots. Plot is over-explained and dull, events are predictable, writing is pretty bad due to the dev clearly not being very good at English and it not getting properly edited, gameplay was a dayum joke and the ending was hilariously terrible. What was the point of this? If you want boobs and nothing else just make boobs.

Project Witch by InnocenceInnocence [VIDEO LINK]
    0 NOPE / I will be honest, this was hard to sit trough it was so clearly not even DEVELOPED. In a way it was "fun" to see how NOT FINISHED everything was, but it was also a pain to deal with the stupid padding. Half-baked doesn't cover it. Aside form the fanservice in the ridiculous character designs (which could have been cool if they had toned down the tits and ass display) and a few (VERY FEW) custom assets in the maps there isn't anything to say. This is not a demo. Not even an Alpha. It's a proof of concept you send to a friend. Not something you present in a contest. :kaosigh:
    Initially I gave this game in the vid an "UGH" but in retrospect its frankly insulting how it had the gall to present this crap to a contest. Don't post prototypes to a contest :kaosalute:

Monster Girl Univeristy by @nyakochan [VIDEO LINK]
    1 UGH / Poor presentation, janky mapping, dull writing. Not appealing overall + slow start + already played dull game before = sorry man I can't take this. It's dull. It's unappealing. Needs work.

Quidget the Wonderwiener by @Dezue [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / I've seen this mirrored in a bunch of feedback and I think the say: fancy graphics, no actual content. Feels like an advert for what I assume is the full game on patron or an extended dull tutorial. Not into it. It's a very sleek, very fancy bow with nothing inside.​

06/12/2017 + 3
    Fair warning for today: I got really angry and annoyed during the second game, and was probably extremely harsh to both second and third games. They may or may have not deserved it. I'm too salty now to be objective.

Paletta by @Cosmic Latte [VIDEO LINK]
    3.5 between a Just Okay and a Good / The game starts quite promisingly with a cool presentation and vibe, but as many of this type of games, it falters in the gameplay department. There's not much there at all, and the narrative isn't particularly good to pick up the slack. The game makes a swerve into somewhat darker themes, but the ending somehow ignores all of them and swerves wildly back into a merry ending with no mention of what happened. Unsure if this was due to time restraints or what, but outside a couple darker moments and the intro it was rather bland and extremely easy, there wasn't much to it. Could have been way more interesting if it had explored those dark themes and toned down the padding or made the core gameplay more enjoyable. As it is, it's just a pretty and bland little thing to me. It's also very clear some tiles/maps were rushed and lacked the care and detail of the others.

The Sculptor by Rentso [VIDEO LINK PART-1] [PART-2]
    3 Just Okayish / Let me preface this by saying the game isn't as bad and probably not entirely deserving of the shit I gave it, but it created a perfect storm of frustration with very unwise and probably unintentional design decisions. While I will admit it was my fault for getting stuck over stupid stuff on the first puzzle, I did fine until the game decided that when I tried to enter a dark room WITH A DARKLIGHT ALREADY ON, it would be a great idea to stop me dead and say it's too dark to see. Naturally since I was not going in I assumed I had to find the OTHER light, and obviously that was not it so I got stuck. When a friend finally pointed out the method (as I was getting ready to play the next game), I was extremely irritated. We blasted through the rest of the game to a supremely unsatisfying ending.
    If I hadn't run across that problem that wouldn't have been as bad, but I did, and it SUCKED. It would have been SO EASY to just tell me its dark AND check if I had a light to just let me get IN, or not say anything IF I had the light, OR just put the warning BEFORE the door so I didn't have to assume I couldn't go in. It was a minor design rough spot that caused so many problems.
    There were other aspects that were rough. Not being able to skip through dialog in a game about retrying is nonsense. The protagonist blabbering when exploring and only pointing out the extremely obvious. "It's a shed", NO SHIT YOU THINK? I CAN SEE IT RIGHT THERE YOU DUMBASS. The intro is forcedly slow with the game having waits after every dumb text box, and the exterior maps were horribly badly mapped and were a clusterfuck.
    In the end, I got really angry at this game, mostly because it could have been good or at least decent (the ending was really dull), but it just trolled me and soured my view of it. With some decent polish it could be pretty neat, but man I got salty over this. Pretty sure I chucked my microphone here :V

Azure Isle by @IAmJakeSauvage [VIDEO LINK PART-1] [PART-2]
    3 Just Okayish / Prefacing this by mentioning I was already very angry from the game before, so I was probably unfairly harsh. In summary the game is well polished but the gameplay is dull and too railroady to appeal to me, with the fighting system feeling restrictive and unfun, and the boss being just plain annoying. When I got a Game Over at the boss which already took a long time, I could not bother.
    The presentation of the game is by far its best point, but I'd have loved to actually move freely rather than be stuck in four directions. The maps were railroaded, the fights were very scripted too, it was fairly punishing and easy to die with no enemy or strategy variety so I wasn't a fan. It had neat things, but neither plot nor gameplay could carry it and presentation only takes you so far.
    Fixing the gameplay to be less unfair and scripted or having difficulty options to not make it as obnoxious would help make the experience a much faster breezier thing, but as it was and with me in an already bad mood it just left me frustrated.
    You can take away about five degrees of annoyance from my mood to more or less see the real outcome. Part of it wasn't even the game's fault, it just arrived right after my worst anger inducing game =_=
    Also includes another microphone chuck, which means the poor thing will break down for good too (and prob isn't too pleasant to hear, oops). There's also long moments of silence as I try to not shout at the game when it gets frustrating. So...watch it with care. Half of it is just pre-built up surliness.
    08/12/2017 +3. Reached 50!
    I'm very happy about today. Firstly, we got a touchdown on 50 games, and to celebrate, the 50th game is what I consider a clear winner of the IGMC2017.

Idol Goddess Made Captive 2017 by @AI Sin [VIDEO LINK]
    1 Ugh / This was a request by the dev to rip into it, so we did. Mainly the game really lacks a reason for playing it. As it is it's very much "yeah that's a thing that exists" but not really enjoyable. Gameplay is clunky and random, story is moot, there is no variation or exploration...there's no point. It needs a lot of adjustments all around.

Hello Blue Echo by @Ringtale Games [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / This game wastes any goodwill its presentation could give it by having a horrible font choice. It completely disrupts the game, as it's tiny and very hard to read, making dialog hard to process. In the end I could not be assed to care about reading it since it hurt my eyes, which made the story moot (what little I saw didn't seem to be bad, but reading was hard and I skipped it). The gameplay was slow and dull and not very interesting, so the game quickly lost any fun factors and I couldn't be arsed to continue when the second puzzle was unresponsive and clunky.
    I heavily suggest taking the game aside and giving it a good polish session, because the art was nice and it's a shame it was so buried under its other issues.

The Golden Pearl by @The Mighty Palm [VIDEO LINK]
    5 WOOO! BEST IGMC 2017
    entry. Please everyone go play and vote for this game, it really deserves it.
    What a coincidence that the game that makes number 50 in my playlist is by far the best game. I think I've checked the majority of the popularly accepted games, and this is by far the best. The presentation is fantastic, there's a ton of content (took me 3 hours) and while it has a few flaws I ultimately did not really consider stopping. Fuller review and feedback later.
    Warning to any players: there is a glitch in the dark woods when you enter one of the holes. PLEASE keep a backup of your save file.​
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recommended watches:
    +Star Child
    - 4 Good / Decent game, nice amount of polish. Not my favourite but a solid entry.
    +Moop - 5 Woop / Extremly cute game, simple and nice.
    +Spooked - Interesting narrative, but bugs out at the last moment. Woe :<
    +Rock and the Rose - 4 Good / Engaging and simple game about managing an Inn. Simple but effective.
    -The Deep - Useful to take notes as to what NOT to do to make your game feel bland.
    -John de TNT - A hot mess. But still kinda hilarious.
    +Project Absence - Neat aspects, not so neat failings. Mixed but engaging. Pity about the impossible difficulty spike.
    -Deadly Halloween Party - Useful to takes notes as to what NOT to do in an adventure game.
    -The Lost Kingdom - Watch Indrah finally snap under the stress of bad mapping. Much whining and huffing included.
    +Final Winter - A good gameplay concept, which sadly starts becoming tiresome after a few runs. May want to check it out if you enjoy rogue-like elements.
    +Recondite: The Phantom Emporium - Solid entry, I liked the character dynamics. Worth a try.
    -Human Extinct - The least disguised fanservice game with the most WTF end.
    -Project W.I.T.C.H. - A trainwreck of unfinished design. Barely an alpha.
    -The Sculptor / (& Part 2) - Do you like to hear sheer frustration, microphone chucking, and overall messing up and hampering the player SEVERELY with minor gameplay decisions? Boy do I have a video for you.
    -Azure Isle / (& Part 2) - Very pretty, but very much on rails. The poor game suffers from coming right after the Sculptor which made me extremely angry, and I eventually chucked the dayum microphone again. Not as bad I make it out to be, but if you want to hear me go silent and breathe as I try to not lose my shit then go right ahead.
    +The Golden Pearl - The best entry in the contest so far, no question. A wonderful game crammed with content and great presentation, which makes me fear for it due to some saving glitches.

Videos that include impromptu remapping sessions:
    The Lost Kingdom // The Dragons of Elion // Journey of the Scroll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    More detailed feedback on...
    Unsung heroes by @Jesse - PVGames / Secret Santa Feedback
    Preface by saying I've never been a fan of this particular graphic style, but it was made much worse by the rather clunky way users mapped with the tile packs. Here as it is all parallaxed quite well that was much less of an issue. Not my style, but not bad.
    To make things worse, this game is not my type :kaocry: I'm largely a nerd for characters over gameplay, and high "serious" fantasy tied up in politics is outside my interest :kaomad2: So it was a pretty bad combo to come at me, is what I'm saying.
    Game, for what it was (I assume) TRYING to be, was perfectly fine. I ran into no glitches. I did't hate or love the game, and if this WAS my sort of game i'd have probably enjoyed it a lot.
    A few of the things I CAN be objective on feedback is some of the design choices (or the engine defaults) that got in the way or that I liked. Just take it as a list of things than could be improved to smooth out aspects of the game, maybe ><
    • Having a big especilized rooster is nice, but having the main character take up a slot by force is annoying (and he didn't feel all that good in any aspect, which made it all the more frustrating).
    • Having few skills to choose from right in the menu is cool, but since everyone's default attack is another skill, why not give them custom names? I could not keep up with whose attack did what at all.
    • Not having icons visible on the battle menu got confusing. In the general menu are there and serve their purpose: to tell me at a glance if it's a regular attack/buff/heal etc. Not having it at the battle menu coupled with so many characters just meant I had to highlight each one to revise what each was every time.
    • The parallaxed mapping was pretty good. I'm not a parallaxer so I can't tell to what degree what's custom or not, but they were effective and expansive with only a few crinks in towns around the edges or objects.
    • While I understand the point of the game was to synergize party members, and I was not in any way playing in a big strategic way, it felt like a lot of skills relied on exploiting states that were more or less unique to 1-2 characters, and there is no way I can remember who has what, especially since...
    • The characters just blur together since they don't have a big presence. The only ones I could recognize quickly were the AOE attackers, and that was simply because they make fights go faster (and I'm a non-strategic idiot).
    • Having a small blurb of some kind when describing characters (such as a bio profile in the menu) with a small summary of wat the character does would work wonders.
    • The cooldowns are rather overdone. Since the characters have 3 active skills tops and outside their regular attacks all of them seem to have usually 4 turn cooldowns, it means theres no real strategy ivolved. No Mp, long cooldowns, it all boils down to using what I have available, since there's no choosing and all other skills will be in cooldown anyway. I'd either reduce cooldowns or replace them with a MP+lesser cooldown system. Even better, I'd recommend weeding and merging some characters, because some, like the tank lady, did not feel like they were worth a slot even as their role.
    • The high numbers are very hard to gauge. It's a nitpick, but it's hard to tell at a glance if the number is high or low when it's all in the thousands. Lowering it to be around the hundreds would help a lot. Same with the actor stats. They're all so high and no one goes below 300 in anything, it's difficult to know who's actually got high stats. Deflating them a bit would be nice.
    • If the game gets a face-lift I'd suggest going over the icons. They don't mesh well with the game's graphic style and in the menu everything is made huge and pixellated.
    • I could somewhat follow the story (which is nice, I'm a dumb idiot when it comes to political inclined plots) and there were nice moments here and there, but overall the game could do with less stiff moments and more of the prolog, or when the bad guy is talking about the customs of his people. The rest of the game felt very impersonal and the characters felt like they barely were there. I know it's not the point of the game, but maybe they could get a tad more involved? At least the main character. I had absolutely no opinion of him or knew anything about him.
    Man this is such a grillfest. I'M SORRY THIS JUST ISNT FOR ME :kaodes: It's a well done entry on it's own but it's mismatched on me OTL

Art made by the genius Makio-Kuta during our trials:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust Resource Staff

First Language:
    English
    I'm really happy you're doing this. My wife and kids are playtesting also and we can use your feedback to help inform our choices of which ones to play. Thanks!

3. watermark

watermark Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Indrah, you are awesome. And very brave to be doing this again this year.

But honestly it is very scary to get a game reviewed by you. People new to the forum she is serious when she says she doesn't censor herself. I've had several games of mine ripped to shreds by this woman. :kaocry:

(But she can be kind at times. XD)

Anyways why not, when you get a chance review our game. This year I got a team together to help me so I do believe it's a lot better than ones I make myself.

Your game looks quite awesome too! Deep sea adventures sound fun. I'll be sure to play it once I catch up on my sleep.

BlackswordGames likes this.
  4. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire

First Language:
    English
    Hey Indrah! I'm so happy you're doing this again. I still watch your let's play of Oh! Ko! from time to time, it's the best : ) I hope you enjoy MOOP if you choose to check it out. Abyssal Shine looks awesome, I'll be sure to play. Have fun playing games!

5. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  6. djbeardo

djbeardo Villager

First Language:
    English
  7. hadecynn

hadecynn Monstructor Extraordinaire

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Indrah

Here are my thoughts for Abyssal Shine: Nevermelt. I'll break it down into different sections.

Story - Premise is simple and straight-forward, which works well given the contest's 1-hour judging criteria. The end credits suggest that this game is part of a larger universe, but since I'm unfamiliar with the original work, the ending/epilogue was a little confusing in terms of what caused the "antagonist" to do what it did, or what the last scene/end card is supposed to represent and mean.

Characters - I have a bit of an issue with this. Part of it might be due to the art style, but I'm not sure how old/young the characters are supposed to be. At first glance, I thought all the main characters were adults well into their late 20s or early 30s, but then their characterization and behaviors suggested otherwise. Anwar in particular was extremely annoying and came off as a brooding teenager. Evander seems to alternate between functioning adult and puppy love struck teenager from scene to scene. Stella's backstory and purpose was rather weak and under-developed. Riya's personality and characterization stood out the most and is probably the most well-written out of the cast. She seems much more mature than the rest of the cast, but given that she was written to be Evander's (one-sided) romantic interest, not knowing their ages again really made it difficult to buy into the characters.

Maps & Puzzles - Large maps by themselves are fine. Puzzles by themselves are also fine, but put the two together and add random encounters on top is not. The Orb-holding map was by far the worst offender (though the Wooden Log Bridge was also borderlining aggravating). I'm not sure if it was just bad luck or poor memory on my part, but the Orb-holding maze itself took me around 30 minutes to get through between all the running back and forth and random encounters. For the record, I was level 17 by the time I left that map, and felt vastly overleveled to the point where battle mechanics were trivial (see below). I was extremely close to dropping the game in frustration because of that map.

Battles - The first few battles that taught players the importance of using different skills for different situations were well-implemented. The different skill mechanics were also pretty interesting. However, once Evander learns the 3MP Thunder spell and is at a high level, its sheer power and the abundance of Elixirs made every non-boss fight into the same spell-spamming session. The number of battles caused by the backtracking on puzzle maps didn't help either. Boss fights were unfortunately not very memorable. In fact, I'd almost want to say that the first three or four enemies were perhaps the most interesting and were better designed than everything else that came after, which is a shame.

Other Systems - The object interaction indicator/arrow was a very good quality-of-life feature that was well-implemented. The system made players want to explore the map without forcing them to interact with every single tile and object. Sub-quests are pretty standard, though I can't speak too much to them because I only completed the Crab one. (I was NOT going to backtrack to get the Blue Orb so I can talk to the fish for the bats after being stuck there for 30 minutes just to progress.)

Minor Bugs - There were a couple that I found:

1. Small passibility issue with the map behind the turtle that says there are 3 sharks or something, where the player can bypass the stairs and walk through the decoration to enter the small doorway underneath the entrance.
    2. Riya's Sea Totem ability description has a typo = "Recovry"
    3. There was an issue where after using Stella's Steal Magic, the following character would not be able to switch targets when selecting skills.

Polish - Uneven. Certain elements, like maps and cutscenes, were done rather well. However, other things like battle animations and battle sound effects were largely untouched and leaves a lot to be desired. The use of different icons for Accessories and Runes was very confusing, as it makes it difficult for the player to determine what slot the new treasure is supposed to go in on which character.

Overall - Having said all that, Abyssal Shrine: Nevermelt is a very solid and promising contest entry. Despite the number of flaws and criticisms I've written out, I understand that most of them are subjective and a matter of taste and preference.

===

If you have time, I'd love to watch a recording of your Let's Play with my game, Monstruct!

8. AtlasAtrium

AtlasAtrium I don't know anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First Language:
    English
    Ayyy!
    When you were playing Star Child, you mentioned that it wasn't to your tastes as much because you prefer more character driven games but tbh I'm the same way >.> I wish I could've done a lot more with the characters but I was hyper-focused on trying to fit the story I wanted into an hour (especially the ending) so I definitely sacrificed things like pacing and character development to make it work. I want to say that the result of the choice made it stronger as an entry, but maybe weaker as a game? XD

If the game moved at the pace I normally have my games at, I doubt it would've made it past the first district within the hour lmao, my games are usually sloooow as a snaaaaail (it's still fun to move the story along at sanic speed tho haha, definitely demands your attention a lot more at the very least)

9. rondchild

rondchild Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
  10. Stranga

Stranga Stranga

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Why would my game disqualified? I asked if I could enter a demo and they said it was fine to And all my files are in the zip folder. It's RPG 2003 so I have no choice but to add all my files with the final game.

EDIT: I see what you mean now :(

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  11. SorgeElenchus

SorgeElenchus Villager

First Language:
    English
  12. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On today's list (to start maybe 2-3 hours from now)
    Unsung Heroes @Jesse - PVGames https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/190789 (For Secret Santa)
    Einherjar @watermark https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/190620
    MOOP @Geoff Moore https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/191329
    YOMOTSU @Kyuukon https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/185720
    At Last Alone: Risen @djbeardo https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/190127
    Monstruct @hadecynn https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/186288
    Darkness of Hope - The Pocket Watch @rondchild https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/191432
    Spooked @SorgeElenchus https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/191442
    UNDERSTOOD @just1witness https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/189798

If by some freak miracle that doesn't tire me out we'll pick the other games in this forum.
    Some replies:
    @chalkdust so far only Star child stood out to me, but as I mentioned I have no real good gauge of what to expect. With some luck today I'll find a few more I like and get a better grasp on it. Do tell me of any nice ones you find, tho!

@watermark So I'm a big meany eh? Aw you'll make me blush :kaojoy: Seriously I'm just a big cranky grouch in general so sometimes I do feel bad for ripping into games but if you wanted honest then there we go. And I'm DEFINITELY biased in a thousand ways so no one should think I'm any sort of authority on this. That said, I AM intrigued to play as and giddy to make terribad jokes about Cleopatra and Helena.

@Geoff Moore IF THIS ONE HAS THE CHARM OF OH KO ILL BE THERE SO HARD U CANT STOP ME :kaolivid:

@hadecynn Thanks for the feedback! Some replies to notes as I read:
    >The game is part of the Arum world, yes, but not strongly connected (yet) to other existing games so there's no need to have played anything else. The game ends kind of abruptly simply because it became impossible to have the ending we'd have lived from lack of time. If we can I definitely want to revamp the game and put in a "true" ending sometime :kaocry:
    >*shrug* the art style is what it is, personally I do't see an issue with it, it's a matter of taste. There's plenty art styles I don't dig myself so I can understand.
    >Anwar is either hated or loved, so we'll leave him as is. I stand by the fact anyone can be a cranky lovable if that's their character XD He's a shut-in sort of nerd forced to go off into adventure when he definitely doesn't want to, so while I'm not defending his attitude it's not like it doesn't make sense.
    >Stella WAS underdeveloped, I'm afraid. Fomar0153 wanted a blue mage by all means and we could not find her a stronger role in the story in time. Maybe in the revamp ;-;
    >I'm not going to agree on the puzzles, simply because outside the orb puzzle in the cave, no one has had any issues with the beach or ice puzzles. The cave puzzle was unfortunately a bit convoluted, yes.
    >Battle balance sadly took it hard in the ass because of times constraints. It is what it is and at least it's not EXTREMELY broken, which was its initial state :kaodes:
    Thanks for the feedback anyway! It's okay if it wasn't to your taste, I can understand having played a few entries myself that were cute enough but not my thing.

@AtlasAtrium I suspect I was overly harsh with Star Child. It was in a bad spot, last of the day when I was tired and in the first day when I don't have a grasp of what to expect of entries, also right after finishing our own entry, oh boy XD. While games that short that aren't character focused or have a very cutesy premise are a bit outside my taste, in retrospect it was a neat little package with neat aspects and few problems. Just not entirely my thing :kaothx: The one thing I can say is that the polish and work that went to the battlers (especially the enemies) and combat animation was great. All those cool attacks~

@Stranga Sorry man. As someone who got disqualified during the first IGMC I can feel the pain :< I'm not entirely sure DEMOs are allowed though? I could have sworn they have to be complete games but they may have changed the rules without me noticing.

@SorgeElenchus Hope you still admire my candor when I'm addressing your game then hohohoho :kaopride: (But seriously don't take it personally, as stated I'm a cranky and biased grump).

That's it! I'll be on in 2-3 hours to start, probably, over at my twitch. I always put up a notice on twitter and my status feed here before doing so, but just in case:

Also I upload everything to youtube so no worries if you miss it.

Gabrelik, just1witness and Kyuukon like this.
  13. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi!

First: I love your reviews. They are refreshing and honest, and it is clear you can be counted on to expose every deficiency without any sugarcoating. :thumbsup-left:

I can see you are busy and in full swing with these, but we would certainly be honored to have you tear into our Dear Edwin title at some point in the future. If you have time and are willing, of course.

I appreciate what you're doing with all this!

14. BoisterousHero

BoisterousHero RMXP Fiend

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  15. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer

First Language:
    English
    Nice, I look forward to your review!
    I did just whip up a thread here that has a strategy guide for the game incase you need/want it: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/igmc-2017-unsung-heroes.86884/

Not that I am expecting you to need any help! There are two bugs that were pointed out after submission that I wish I could have fixed prior to submission, so please be aware of them; they are listed on the page linked above. They are not game-breaking, but an annoyance, and my apologies. At any rate, I hope you will enjoy the game.

16. chalkdust

chalkdust Resource Staff

First Language:
    English
  17. SeaPhoenix

SeaPhoenix Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you have the time, I'd be interested in seeing what you think of my game The Rock and the Rose. Regardless, thanks for doing this - it's very useful to see the reviews!
    https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/190920

18. JacobM

JacobM Game Developer

First Language:
    English
  19. AtlasAtrium

AtlasAtrium I don't know anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First Language:
    English
    defeated by cuteness OTL

guess i know what im doing next contest
    (shot)

20. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, another 4 games done today :kaophew:

08/11/2017 +4
    By far the best one today was MOOP. Enherjar I count for now as Disqualified becuase I'm pretty sure I ran into a bug that blasted most of the actual point of the gameplay =_=

Unsung Heroes by @Jesse - PVGames [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good This one was for the Secret Santa, so I'll take a moment to go a bit more in-depth below. The short version: if you like high fantasy and care more about party composition than actual character personality, go for it.

Einherjar by @watermark [VIDEO LINK]
    Disqualified I have absolutely no idea of what happened, but I'm pretty sure I bugged out the game, making the main mechanic of the game to summon the so-called big historical and myth figure impossible to make. I was forward to making terrible jokes about Helena of Troy and Cleopatra:kaosigh:

MOOP by @Geoff Moore [VIDEO LINK]
    5 WOOO! SO BLOODY CUTE, UGH. A really nice little package of cuteness, as expect of the same dev that made Oh! Ko! Cute and light with feelgood parts. The graphics are adorable and fit really well. The only thing I could complain about is that the "puzzle" bits are extremely obvious, but on the other hand that means no mess of having to find out by trial and error? Definitely worth a try.

Yomotsu by @Kyuukon [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh Not a bad start, but the combat is just...dull. It's a chore and there's no real strategy involved, the hud looks nice but it blocks out skill descriptions (why???) enemies have a way higher mp than really necessary, the second encounter just requires you to sit there and be patient...when I died on the 4th or 5th encounter I had no interest in continuing.

At Last Alone: Risen by @djbeardo [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh An isometric strategy rpg made in rpgmaker! Thats...good? As a proof of concept it's all very well, but in practice it runs clunkily, the presentation was unappealing and I just flat out aren't suited for the genre. I only bother with SRPGs if the characters or the story reel me in. This wasn't the case, sorry.

Secret Santa Feedback / Unsung heroes by @Jesse - PVGames
    Preface by saying I've never been a fan of this particular graphic style, but it was made much worse by the rather clunky way users mapped with the tile packs. Here as it is all parallaxed quite well that was much less of an issue. Not my style, but not bad.
    To make things worse, this game is not my type :kaocry: I'm largely a nerd for characters over gameplay, and high "serious" fantasy tied up in politics is outside my interest :kaomad2: So it was a pretty bad combo to come at me, is what I'm saying.
    Game, for what it was (I assume) TRYING to be, was perfectly fine. I ran into no glitches. I did't hate or love the game, and if this WAS my sort of game i'd have probably enjoyed it a lot.
    A few of the things I CAN be objective on feedback is some of the design choices (or the engine defaults) that got in the way or that I liked. Just take it as a list of things than could be improved to smooth out aspects of the game, maybe ><

>Having a big especilized rooster is nice, but having the main character take up a slot by force is annoying (and he didn't feel all that good in any aspect, which made it all the more frustrating).
    >Having few skills to choose from right in the menu is cool, but since everyone's default attack is another skill, why not give them custom names? I could not keep up with whose attack did what at all.
    >Not having icons visible on the battle menu got confusing. In the general menu are there and serve their purpose: to tell me at a glance if it's a regular attack/buff/heal etc. Not having it at the battle menu coupled with so many characters just meant I had to highlight each one to revise what each was every time.
    >The parallaxed mapping was pretty good. I'm not a parallaxer so I can't tell to what degree what's custom or not, but they were effective and expansive with only a few crinks in towns around the edges or objects.
    >While I understand the point of the game was to synergize party members, and I was not in any way playing in a big strategic way, it felt like a lot of skills relied on exploiting states that were more or less unique to 1-2 characters, and there is no way I can remember who has what, especially since...
    >The characters just blur together since they don't have a big presence. The only ones I could recognize quickly were the AOE attackers, and that was simply because they make fights go faster (and I'm a non-strategic idiot).
    >Having a small blurb of some kind when describing characters (such as a bio profile in the menu) with a small summary of wat the character does would work wonders.
    >The cooldowns are rather overdone. Since the characters have 3 active skills tops and outside their regular attacks all of them seem to have usually 4 turn cooldowns, it means theres no real strategy ivolved. No Mp, long cooldowns, it all boils down to using what I have available, since there's no choosing and all other skills will be in cooldown anyway. I'd either reduce cooldowns or replace them with a MP+lesser cooldown system. Even better, I'd recommend weeding and merging some characters, because some, like the tank lady, did not feel like they were worth a slot even as their role.
    >The high numbers are very hard to gauge. It's a nitpick, but it's hard to tell at a glance if the number is high or low when it's all in the thousands. Lowering it to be around the hundreds would help a lot. Same with the actor stats. They're all so high and no one goes below 300 in anything, it's difficult to know who's actually got high stats. Deflating them a bit would be nice.
    >If the game gets a face-lift I'd suggest going over the icons. They don't mesh well with the game's graphic style and in the menu everything is made huge and pixellated.
    >I could somewhat follow the story (which is nice, I'm a dumb idiot when it comes to political inclined plots) and there were nice moments here and there, but overall the game could do with less stiff moments and more of the prolog, or when the bad guy is talkign about the customs of his people. The rest of the game felt very impersonal and the characters felt like they barely were there. I know it's not the point of the game, but maybe they could get a tad more involved? At least the main character. I had absolutely no opinion of him or knew anything about him.

Man this is such a grillfest. I'M SORRY THIS JUST ISNT FOR ME :kaodes: It's a well done entry on it's own but it's mismatched on me OTL

Final note if anyone goes to check out the MOOP video: there were some recording issues so it was originally merged with the Einherjar entry. It's edited and setting itself up on youtube right now, but it may take it a couple hours to be ready. Just skip ahead, I think it's like 40 min in :kaophew: