RMMV Indrah's IGMC2017 Let's Plays and notes. 50 games and counting

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Indrah, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Nicola

Nicola Villager

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hiya Indrah!

Whilst I am a bit of a sensitive soul, I'd really appreciate you giving my game a go: https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/190599
    I really like genuine and honest feedback. Thanks for all the reviews you've done so far. It's nice to have a lot to look at over the waiting period!

2. aLvhine---

aLvhine--- Villager

First Language:
    English
  3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm effing exhausted since I worked Sat/sun and now this full week and work is being a bunghole but since I'll fall off the train otherwise may as well get some entries out today :kaosigh:
    Will be up in an hour or two, no promises on how much I'll play. At least one or two I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

just1witness likes this.
  4. just1witness

just1witness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for reviewing my game, I LOVE your feedback! It's so helpful and informative. :D

5. chaucer

chaucer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry to hear about your weekend, try not to overextend yourself :D I'm not sure if you're still adding more games to your list, but if you are I'd be honored to have you review my entry, if it's not too much trouble, I remember last IGMC you reviewed tons of games ( you disqualified mine, iirc T__T, I hope to do better this time around. ), I watched most of em too, Imo, you're one of the best game reviewers I've seen, as your reviews are blunt and to the point( sometimes a bit harsh, but still fair ). :D

6. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    13/11/2017 +4
    A rather conflicting day. The best one, Spooked, seems to be bugged and can't be finished :<
    On the plus side, I managed to rope in @Makio-Kuta into streaming with me :kaopride:

Monstruct by @hadecynn [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh Game may pick up later but the first twenty minutes are dry and tutorial filled with no spice. Despite all the tutorials it is not at all intuitive how the game operates, and of all the reasons for making monsters we could have it chose a really bland one. Not for me.

Darkness of Hope - The Pocketwatch by @rondchild [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Meh This is what people mean when they say fancy graphics aren't everything. I can't tell what the hell is going on since the it did not explain anything about itself outside frankly irrelevant stuff, and the gameplay is...a cutscene, pretty much. Graphics were custom and nice enough but that doesn't make a good game by itself.

Spooked by @SorgeElenchus [VIDEO LINK]
    Disqualified? Seemed nice enough, but a bug seems to prevent me from continuing. Which was a bloody shame, I was into it :< Now we will never know the ending. It would have been a "Good", probably, but as it is it can't be finished (or it's extremely obscure to do so).

Understood by @just1witness [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay A very clear "first project". Not a bad start but definitely very rough in multiple places. Feels a bit empty for me in the end, and the entire game seems to be "do random errands and finish with a scene out of nowhere". Still, a first project, in a month, for a contest. Not a bad try within those parameters. Still not GOOD for me but not painful.​
    This next week is going to be very painful for me since I worked all weekend and I have this week full too. I'll try to get a few in tomorrow or the next but if I can't the next session will be on friday. Current waiting list:
    Dear Edwin
    Legends of Astravia
    The Legend of Protey
    The Rock and the Rose
    The Last Boy on Earth
    Stay Inside
    Happy Slappy
    Sample09
    Project Fireball
    The Ridiculously Unhinged Mutant President
    The Deep
    Depression Level 50
    Deadly Halloween Party
    A Conga's Tale
    John de TNT

@chaucer PRAISE ME MOAR:kaolivid: I probably won't get to 80 coz DAY JOB OTL but hopefully I can run roughshod over 50 or so at least? Maybe 30? ..25? XD
    Also you gotta actually link your stuff, mister. I'm not a mind reader :kaoeh:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. just1witness

just1witness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    LOLOLOL!! I just got to really hear the full review (I was looking on my phone at a car garage and it died when you were doing it) and I was laughing until tears streamed down my face!! Indrah, I love your style, best play through ever. This so far is my favorite part of this competition and I seriously want to make another game just to hear you yell at it! #Indrahbestreviewerof2017 :guffaw::p

8. BoisterousHero

BoisterousHero RMXP Fiend

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    OH I'M SO NERVOUS.
    @Indrah my intro is skippable with the "cancel" key. Most people don't know since it's in the "README", but I do want to spare you the misery if you need it.
    Also, get some rest! People can wait until Friday to see your lovely stream.

9. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose

First Language:
    English
    Since I was there, I figure I'll write out my thoughts more clearly. I know I'm not the best at articulating my feelings in spoken words. Also, hey, if you all like me joining in with Indrah, lemme know! I had fun and would love to do it more often.

Onto the games:
    Please understand I could not hear any sound on my end.

@hadecynn
    While this has an interesting premise, it falls short in quiet a few places.
    First - That whole music fiasco was an absolute waste of time. For something that has a very minimal impact on the game, making it out to be such a big deal feels weird. Leaving the player in silence for so long (and through text slam tutorials yet) lowers their ability to engage. I just don't see the point? Does different music have an impact on the monsters being raised? That's the only reason I could see this being important.

Second - The tutorials! I mentioned this a few times in the stream, but you can't just hammer a player with constant tutorials. They need time to practice and absorb what you have taught them before teaching something new. Teach, then let the player grow accustomed to that. If every time the player interacts with the monster creation system they are faced with another wall of text, they aren't going to bother even reading it anymore. And even if they are, it's not going to sink in.

Third - There's no pay off. Mini fetch quest based games are fine when there's an actual end goal to be working towards. Everything feels pointless and shallow when you're just do this for this person, now this for this person. Why? To what end?
    Couple that with the fact that all those stats and things don't seem to have any gameplay impact, that creation just sort of ends without telling you the consequences. What did I make? How was it different? Okay, this mouse is pink and this one is white - what does it matter? I'm a huge fan of the atelier games, which I feel this gameplay may have some inspiration from - but they usually have something going on besides the creation process to engage the player. Some sort of end date or goal in sight. This game could really use that.

Overall, I think you have the groundwork of something interesting, but you need to better pace out the tutorials and hone in the game's focus. Give us something to care about and not waste your cutscenes on that whole music fiasco. The game could also use a sense of urgency - deadlines or some backlash for wasting time or resources on exploding chickens. Something to make the player aware of conflict so they want to do better.

@rondchild
    What am I missing here? PLEASE tell me I'm missing something because this didn't make any sense. You need to learn to seperate your writing from your own brain which understands the entire workings of your world, plot, and characters. You need to treat the player like someone who knows NOTHING, because hey - we know nothing. We shouldn't be forced to have to put your story together from absolute abstract facts being toted around to the point of our frustration. If this was done for a sense of mystery, then please expose yourself to other media that does this, because this isn't it. We don't even know jack about the character we're playing as!

You've done wonderful work on the visuals, but it's sad to see all of that wasted on something that's just such a mess. Even combat, while it looks very cool, is impossible to follow. Do the different choices even mean anything? How is the player supposed to know - should I slap a snake in the face, or punch it?

And though I couldn't experience traversing the cave myself - that looked frustrating too.

I feel like this game needs a complete overhaul. A proper introduction (after the initial fight, because the flash forward fight was fine) to the world and characters and concepts NEEDS TO HAPPEN. You can't leave your player in the dark and tell a story around them. And if this is a sequel to something else - poor choice for a contest. It needs to be able to stand alone, you cannot expect anyone to run out and play your other game just to play your entry this year when there are so many others.

@SorgeElenchus
    Uahhh I'm so sad we didn't get to see the ending of this. This is easily one of the best games I have seen from this contest so far.
    What I love most about this game is that it handles something wonderfully that most games do not - guiding the player. Each new bit of information does a wonderful job at hinting to what the player should do next. You get the car keys - well you saw the cars outside on your way in. The game does drop the ball on this a small bit towards the end where the cop straight up says 'huhuhu what about the statue', but for the most part this was executed wonderfully. Especially with each added memory building hints to the others.

Going to guess you started to rush towards the end of production and that is when your bugs started to crawl into production.

Besides the fact that the game can't seem to be finished, for me the biggest flaw was Detective Spook's sudden acquisition of knowledge. The mysteries can be solved without viewing all the memories, however when giving the final story, Spook knows the details we never saw. I would perhaps link certain text boxes in his explaination to switches and have it skip over details that we didn't know, or play alternative dialogue in those cases. It's okay for the player to have holes! Otherwise, lock the endings for each character at Trust LV5.

The game could benefit from a custom menu that shows your trust level with each ghost.

All in all, great work on this. If you know of any let's plays that show the ending, please let me know xD

@just1witness
    Hello! I am not the best speaker when put on the spot, so although I expressed thoughts to you live on video, I hope you'll read this too. Especially since I want to expand on some of the things I said.

First, I stick by my statements that this game was very weird - however my reasoning is not the lead character, actually she was my favourite part of the game. The first part of the game does a great job at establishing that this character is different from everyone else, but then we are introduced to the people in the town and suddenly she doesn't seem so different anymore. EVERYONE in this town is strange and ... I found them really annoying and ungrateful and awful as people. Yet, they'd also flick a switch and be 'oh darling, baby, sweet thing' suddenly. It felt like they existed only to act as reactions and not as people. So by the time we were stuck in doing odd quests for them - I had entirely forgotten about the intro discussing broken smiles. And I didn't get the idea that the town didn't like the MC, I got the feeling most of them disliked everything.

As I mentioned, the gameplay felt like it was tacked on simply to turn a story into a game. Random fetch quests without an end goal in sight are not rewarding to the player. They need to know why they are doing this so they are compelled to actually do it. Taking care of the mushroom looked more like an annoyance with no pay out. Why not link the mini quests to getting rewards to help Dog with something? Add some conflict and goal for the player.

I agree with Indrah that the Prince felt very deus ex machina. I get that the idea was introducing someone who was either born with a broken frown like she was, or understands it enough to understand her, but throwing him at the player and forcing them to accept that these two clicked in five seconds is a bit.............. mmmm..... What if he helped the player with some of her quests?

The game was to bring awareness to an illness, you mentioned perhaps mentioning that in the game itself - I don't think that's necessary. At least, if you are suggesting that in a direct way - just writing that on there somewhere. Rather, the storytelling just needs to tighten itself up and focus on it's themes closer. Things didn't really click with me until the night when she was crying about Dog days later in her room. That was my 'aha' moment - in the ending monologue. You need to click that in the player's head sooner. You had a good start, but I feel the middle lost focus.

SorgeElenchus and Indrah like this.
  10. chaucer

chaucer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oops T__T I apologies** I'm a little forgetful these past few days, Starfall. :D I look forward to watching more of your reviews. ^_^

edit : fixed typo. ^^;

11. SorgeElenchus

SorgeElenchus Villager

First Language:
    English
    @Indrah @Makio-Kuta Thanks for playing Spooked. It's unfortunate you ran across a few bugs toward the end. I only had two weeks to work on the game since I started late and never made a game before. I only had a few hours to beta-test it, and that obviously wasn't long enough. I appreciate you taking the time out to try it out and provide me some feedback. Also, watching your video was really helpful to figure out where the bugs are at.

It sucks you couldn't complete the game. I didn't mean to lock out the memories once you solved their murders. I meant to make it non-linear where you could explore as you figure things out, but apparently I got a few areas to clean up. One of the ghosts is bugged where she is supposed to earn another trust point so you can advance her memories. I feel like there was maybe half the game you didn't get to experience because you solved their murders and it locked their memories out (there were two dungeon like puzzles with little light in the storage area of the basement you missed). That wasn't a part of the original design; that was an accident from rushing toward the end. I intended to make a final puzzle at the end with the Sergeant where you have to solve the chronological order of when each victim died instead of the long exposition that's there now (just a placeholder). I even had clocks in each room to be used to tell the time. But I ran out of time in the end. I'll have to clean up the bugs and maybe add some more content. And then just share it with whoever wants to play it.

Thanks again for taking time out of your day to play my game. It's not your fault you couldn't finish. The statue was bugged (apparently it's a lamp? lol). You were supposed to play through all of the last guy's memories. (You can actually play through the whole game from start to finish, missing one room with the female, as long as you don't solve the murders early.)

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  12. RadiantCadenza

RadiantCadenza Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Indrah

Thanks a lot for trying Dream Devourer.

I'm sorry you encountered that bug, the cause for it is because of a parallax BG with a kanji filename failing to load on your computer. It works fine on my own, but I was dumb enough and rushed enough to not test the game on other PCs before the deadline.

Here is a fixed version of the game which renames the file so the game will run properly on computers without Japanese unicode installed. For anyone who would like to play it. I also have a save at the start of day 2 available so people affected by the most common location for this crash can pick up right where they left off in the fixed version.

As for saves, there are saves but they are not currently in the menu. The two save points are the notebook on the desk in the apartment (which was not made obvious enough and it seems the tutorial line mentioning that is too easy to miss) and a much more obvious floating blue crystal in the dream world hub you can access from day 2 onwards, which is unfortunately one of the maps with the filename crash.

I'm trying to direct people to the updated download, but I have half a mind to withdraw the game from the contest entirely just so that I can update the build directly on Itch.io. I think that would bother me even more though.

13. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am enjoying your videos. Feel free to tear into my game if you'd like. I'll apologize in advance if the Made With MV splash screen lags for you. The rest of the game should run just fine.

https://fr0980y.itch.io/eremiel

14. ghorba96

ghorba96 Warper

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well I joined this IGMC to test my skills, so here's my first game! https://ghorba.itch.io/the-lost-kingdom
    I'd really love some feedback (and someone playing my game), and thanks for all the reviews you've done so far!

BlackswordGames likes this.
  15. rondchild

rondchild Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    I see.. Thanks for the feedback!
    Actually, we make a prequel game lol.
    If you play the game until end, you will know the truth.
    But we will overhaul this game to make it better.
    There's a lot think we want to push into this game, but we out of time.
    We promise to complete the game, especially remake the battle system!

16. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That was a fun stream Indrah. Youw ere entertaining and constructive. If you plan on doing another one it would be cool to see you suffer through my game. I mean enjoy, yeah.... <_<...>_>
    https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/190075

17. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    13/11/2017 +5
    More combo with Makio! Why are so many cool games bugged at the end in some form? WHY? Anwyay, I liked the Rock and the Rose the most, despite a rather mean bug in the ending conditions. It was cute and comfortable.
    Understood by [VIDEO LINK]

Dear Edwin by @Gabrelik [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay Excellent custom graphics, no question abou that. But nothing else about the game really appealed to me much. There was nothing broken or outwardly terrible, but it didn't hold my attention. When your walk and talk game doesnt feel good when walking (speed, passability clunk issues) and the talking (long, dry text) it's a bit of a problem. Not for me, though I'm sure it works for other people. The maps are impressive and really nicely detailed, but sadly clunky and empty to navigate.

Legends of Astravia by @BoisterousHero [VIDEO LINK]
    Not complete Not a bad start, especially for a first game for the dev, but on the game's own admission it is not finished and the combat is just broken. A clean start and a serviceable "movie" intro, with nice maps (despite the tiling issues). A good start on the whole development cycle.

The Legend of Protey by @chalkdust [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay Not a bad concept, and execution was nice enough, but the frankly ridiculous walking speed and backtrack penalties are just a deal-breaker for me. Unsure if it's an eventing bug that left the player at a lower speed or what, but there is just no way I will play the whole game that slowly.

The Rock and the Rose by @SeaPhoenix [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good (+Bug?) A nice and simple little Inn management game. There wasn't much to it but it held my attention very well for the duration with its simple mechanics and charm. I was very upset at what I assume is an eventing mistake in the ending, making the completion of the game's goals impossible and killing my boner considerably. It's a pity that marred what was otherwise an enjoyable romp.

The Last Boy on Earth by @JacobM [VIDEO LINK PART1] [VIDEO LINK PART2]
    3 Just okay Appealing graphics and nice intro (thought the death of the character is so cliched and obvious in practice it's a bit of a joke). The mechanics are implemented cleanly, but there doesn't seem to be a core to the game, the ending seems rather tacked on like the game I spent struggling against it had no real payoff. Also, the game HATES my computer something fierce with severe memory leak problems that caused two different crashes (unsure if it was the streaming on top of the game or what but it was a mess to experience). An okay game, but I feel it lacks a strong core, a "point" to the adventure besides just kind of existing.
    I had a LOT of trouble over Last Boy on earth, and have to merge the resulting split videos. I'll finish fixing it in a bit, so give me an hour or two.
    Edit: Ef it. Two parter vid, can't find a quick merger.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    JacobM likes this.
  18. chalkdust

chalkdust Resource Staff

First Language:
    English
    @Indrah, thanks for the review! When you gain control of your transformations (immediately after completing the quest you're currently on) you can change forms at will. Different forms have different movement speed. Gaining speed (and other useful abilities) is part of the character progression.

Gabrelik likes this.
  19. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @chalkdust , I initially had the same issue here, but as the game advanced and I realized the movement speeds were realistic to the creature transformations, it actually added to the experience. I'm sure if someone were just rushing through for the sake of doing so, it would be a problem, but I wouldn't change anything. It makes getting the transformation after the zombies so much more satisfying. :D

@Indrah , We appreciate you taking the time to review Dear Edwin! Any issues outside of individual preferences will certainly be taken into consideration for the next installment. And yes, time constraints were definitely the reason we had to drop so much that we wanted to implement. This is why only some of the doors, papers, etc, had interaction events. We hope you'll give the full length prequel a try when it is released. Thanks again! :D

chalkdust likes this.
  20. BoisterousHero

BoisterousHero RMXP Fiend

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thanks for the review and the helpful critique @Indrah ! I can't wait to continue the project and get it where it needs to be. Don't worry, Baldric will be accessible soon ;)