RMMV Indrah's IGMC2017 Let's Plays and notes. 50 games and counting

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Indrah, Nov 7, 2017.

1. SeaPhoenix

SeaPhoenix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the review and playthrough, @Indrah (and @Makio-Kuta too), but I'm so sorry about the bug at the end! I feel your pain! :frown: I wasn't planning to enter IGMC but got the idea for this game a week before the deadline, and was very concerned about not catching all the bugs.

I think each time I played through it, I had at least 5,000G by the time the expert comes by, and doing what you did brought me above 20,000G and that does trigger that objective's switch at that moment. But it looks like when you reach 20,000G through guests' payments, the switch didn't trigger, though I wrote the code for it to do so. Again, very sorry about that!

I thought it was funny when you dug up the bush, then quickly saved and reloaded so that it wouldn't look too ugly. :smile:

The artist's name change is something I totally made up. I think I need to put in a disclaimer like movies do, that the game is entirely fictional.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game otherwise, and it's very helpful to see how other players do things and what they like/hate.

Since you wondered about it in your playthrough, the room configuration choice system was made with the help of @Galv's very cool MV Choice Pictures plug-in, though once you've made the decision, the actual layout is evented.

2. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @chalkdust it does make me feel bad that I had to write off the game, but intended implementation or not, such a walking speed for a huge chunk of the game + the forced backtracking as game over is absolutely a dealbreaker to me. it's written in big letters in my commandments of "THOU SHALT NOT INFLICT ON YE PLAYERS: SLOW SPEEDS". Maybe it gets better later, but how much more of that would I have to sit through? it had been a while already, I'm nowhere near ready to tolerate that slow crawl, much less on a stream where people were already commenting it was dull to watch the slow speeds. I'm sorry :< To other people it may not be a deal-breaker, I am after all full of my own biases.

@Gabrelik I've noticed a lot of people enjoyed the game, so a lot of the negativity may be simple preference bias. For some the dialog worked, for some it did not. As my game is having pretty much the same problems on reception, not surprising ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The custom graphics are absolutely to be commended, even if the game picks design choices I would have preferred it did not. (Also to be brutally honest I am not at all a detective buff).

@BoisterousHero You're lucky the game was too short for me to bulldoze into it, punk! We'll see what comes once it has more meat on its bones! *evil cackle*

@SeaPhoenix MAN THAT ENDGAME BUG. It killed my boner so dang hard it's not even fair. I understand last minute lack of fixes but HRRRRR. Not a bad entry at all for a week. You're already miles ahead on me when it comes to understanding realistic game scopes for the time (said the idiot who crammed 2-3 hours of game into her entry).

Will probably get a few more done today when MakioKuta shows up. On the list (tho we'll prob only tackle 4-6)
    Stay Inside
    Happy Slappy
    Sample09
    Project Fireball
    The Ridiculously Unhinged Mutant President
    The Deep
    Depression Level 50
    Deadly Halloween Party
    A Conga's Tale
    John de TNT
    Starfall
    Eremiel
    The Lost Kingdom
    Project Absence

Gabrelik and Frogboy like this.
  3. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    19/11/2017 +6
    Today was a pretty bad day. 5/6 games were pretty bad or unfinished, and the last one, while cool enough, had problems. So...welp :kaoswt2:

Stay Inside by @OzzyTheOne [VIDEO LINK]
    Demo only / Decent amounts of polish, but has issues. Too dark, dashing disallowed for no good reason on some maps, pretty cliche development so far...could be the start of something neat, but there's not enough content to be able to tell yet.

Happy Slappy by @Tao Oat [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / It was fun for five minutes. Some actions when slapping were fun, yes, but it was WILDLY inconsistent as to what could be slapped, and the mapping was frankly offensive *snooty mapper huff*. With some polish and direction could make for a solid comedy entry, but as is its too rough and uneven.

Sample09 by @richter_h [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / Decent presentation, but falls flat on execution. Monsters are decidedly non-threatening and not scary at all, there's no real danger, the protagonist would be better left mute, and I have no idea what's up with the doors. Could be made into a nice little suspense/horror game, but as is it's just dull now.

The Deep by @Allan Bays [VIDEO LINK]
    1 Ugh / I'll be honest, and I do not mean to be offensive: this feels like an extremely rough first project folling a checklist of things you have in an RPG, but a lot of them are botched. Add character? Check. Dungeon? Check. basic skills? Check. By itself that would not be bad, but the mapping is bad, the writing amounts to nothing, there is no plot or setup, everythign feels randomly placed and just overall rough. Gameplay emerges somewhat unscathed and does just okay, but there is nothing appealing about it either. Even as a first project I would say this is still in VERY early stages and needs a lot of work. The best I can say is that there were no bugs I could find.

John de TNT by @aLvhine--- [VIDEO LINK]
    1 Ugh / Not going to lie, the best I can say is that sometimes this was such a mess it was funny. I have no idea what the intention of the game is. The setting is confusing, the story doesn't properly explain anything, characters are complete aliens and I have absolitely no idea if the game is trying to ACT edgy as comedy or it's trying to be "cool" and edgy in honesty. It was bad.

Project Absence by @Nirwanda [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good (with conditions) / We had the dev in the stream which definitely helped this playthrough out. Without him pointing it out there was NO WAY we could have found the boss, so he was lucky XD This game was nice enough. Writing was solid, custom graphics were appealing with some clutter exceptions. Lots of loot, nice upgrades. I do have issues with a bunch of things as stated in the video AND the difficulty spike in the second area is a complete dealbreaker...should I be giving this a 4...? Anyway it was a solid product. I've no idea how much longer it is, but if it had ended right there it'd had been a decent entry. Still needs polish in multiple rough spots, but enjoyable enough. Still NEEDS fixing for the balance because there is just NO WAY the first fight should one-shot the tank android XD​

Hit 25 games! That's a milestone, right? RIGHT? :kaocry:

Nirwanda and Rhino like this.
  4. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On that fight's defense you got hit by a 1% critical hit chance so you got really unlucky. But I understand were you're coming from: that area is supposed to be hard, but I might have made it too hard, only playtested it once since I was too burned out. Also I should have made it more obvious where the boss in the first dungeon was and what was a chest and what wasn't. And I guess I WAS a little stingy with money.
    You briefly mentioned the lore and the setting not being very clear, that's sort of intentional: I don't want big info dumps but for it to come naturally in dialogue for the attentive player to pick up. (like Maki realizing Vinh isn't human). I'll try to clear up the floor tiles and make better battlebacks for the finished version. Hmm anything else I'm missing?
    Anyway, I'm really thankful to you for playing it and for all the constructive criticism. Thanks a lot!:D
    Sorry if this sounds too defensive. I just meant to clarify.

5. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Nirwanda honestly I found the delivery of most of the world lore very good, up until they finish the first mission and you have that brief white text on black interlude that starts to name drop things we don't really know yet. Touches like Vinh's lack of humanity, or that the city lives in ignorance bliss to their line of work, etc etc was conveyed well in the manner you say you wished it to be.

How much longer did the game go btw? I was very curious to see it through to the end and I'm sad we ran out of time//Indrah got her butt roasted by unfortunate RNG.

Nirwanda likes this.
  6. Allan Bays

Allan Bays Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Thank you for playing Indrah I enjoyed the video! This is indeed my first project and I am still actively working on it until it is finished. I am sorry about my mapping I am getting better as I go but watching you play my earlier maps and point out mistakes I made just shows me how much I need to go back to the beginning of the game, not just to fix the mapping but to make the storyline much more prevalent right from the start. As for the gameplay there is more I can do there to make it stand out I am sure.

7. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Makio-Kuta Oh, I'm really, really glad you think that. I had big plans for the game but sadly I didn't manage my time well enough to put them into action, so I had to make do with a teaser ending.

(Spoilers, I guess)
    ---------------------
    There was one extra loyalty interaction with Artemis and then, at the end of the dungeon (is not very long), you run into another absent. This one seems to have ties to human society. Then the game fast forwards to some unespecified later time when Vinh and the monster have teamed up and they are about to fight Adette and Kazuko.
    -----------------------

I plan -hope- to finish this eventually as I've put a lot of work into it. Also, I'm super happy you remembered my birthday jam game, that was my first one. :)

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  8. Jaiden

Jaiden RMXP Fiend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Indrah I live for this day. Just you wait! It'll be...something.

Frogboy likes this.
  9. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I see. In some points, seems like we've caught a similar feel of the final result in Sample09. For now, the team is evaluating the feedback from those who've played it.
    After that, the team will decide whether the game will take more horror treatments or maybe reworks on some parts. If the game is bad for you, then I'm sorry for bringing something that doesn't meet your expectation.

After all, I'd say thanks for your review. Gotta conduct it to the team for additional evaluation. :kaoblush:

10. motta

motta Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @Indrah
    Nice inniciative doing this, if i may, could i ask you if you are into 2d puzzle/horror games? If so, i would appreciate if you could do a playthrough of Lucie, it's the first game i've ever made (it's not the final version, but the IGMC version is playable, i guess).
    Here's the link https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/191317
    Thx!

Edit1:
    If you do choose to make a live of Lucie, keep in mind that i left a text file in the game folder with answers to some puzzles (just if you happen to be stuck in one).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  11. Trivi

Trivi Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  12. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    20/11/2017 +3
    Very short day. Only three games and none of them much good to me, one of them being pretty darn terrible.

Depression Level 50 by @Gigglemoo [VIDEO LINK]
    No Grade / This feels like a very "my own story" sort of game and I am NOT confortable at all with bashing that. It was...dull. I'm not sure if that's the point. It's not particularly badly made and the writing isnt BAD, but it's not engaging, at least in my situation. I'm not giving this a grade. It did not work for me, and that's about all I can really say.

Deadly Halloween Party by @Zelgadis85 [VIDEO LINK]
    0 NOPE / I don't think many games have made me angry in sheer lack of competency during this contest. This is a hot mess. The mapping is a mess, the writing is dry, there is absolutely zero ambience. The game seems to want to be a horror game but nothing about it is even REMOTELY threatening. The music is cheery, everyone is just fine. It's light and no real obstacles are in the way. That could be a just "bad game" on its own, but an adventure game has the GALL to have NO freaking interaction points! In a game genre where it's all about exploring and inspecting stuff, there are no inspection points? Only in ONE room I managed to trigger some actions that did...nothing. This was just plain bad. Needs a lot of work or a straight up scrap and rebuild. A lot of the basics here are outright ignored. If this was just a first/experimental project, the result is a resounding "does not work, more practice needed".

A Conga's Tale by @Nicola [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay / Cute, if a bit rough graphics. Clearly effort went in, and while the style is not my thing it functions okay. I'm not much into more childish stories with no real point to the tasks besides "just do this next" so this didn't grab me. Some people were clearly enjoying it in the stream chat so I'm obviously not the major opinion on that. One thing I can objectively say is that battles felt rather boring and need to either be way shorter or more interesting.​

Some more comments! Not many items left in the request list, we may get them done and then...it's the wild west of tackling all the games we WANT! Picking all the worst looking titles off the rooster! Playing rumoured good games!
    As for the folks throwing their games at me, considering most of the reaction that can be expected...
    [​IMG]
    Some of these are very obviously very raw projects. Don't be surprised if I rip into them :kaosigh:

13. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    On the note of Depression LV50, I think that the biggest huddle for us is that we play games as escapism and the reason I had to nope out of reading the dialogue was it was hitting way too close to home. In terms of personal experience and those that I have tried to help friends through. You set us up right off the bat with warning us that this wasn't a typical game or even a fun or happy one - but I'm not even sure I would call this a game. It felt more like an interactive diary that I wasn't supposed to see.

Games that explore such topics as depression are a very touchy subject, and I hope it will not come as too much offense that we couldn't properly critique or grade your game. Personally, exploring these topics in an abstract manner is easier for me to connect with and play.

I do wonder what the difference between easy mode and hard mode is though.

14. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I didn't watch the stream. But basically, Depression Level 50 is a real life simulator? XD

15. Gigglemoo

Gigglemoo Member Title Veteran

Thanks for playing ladies! Loved watching the LP, especially your comments about the stuff in the room & Karen. :)

I was wondering why that bed didn't look right. Darn transparencies! Hadn't used Rpg Maker in 5 years.

You were actually only a few minutes from the end. Attached a savefile if anyone is curious what happens next.

On a more personal note, responses like yours were exactly what I was hoping to see with this experimental game. Looking back I should've rewrote that Patricia conversation.

Attached Files:

16. Ennacrima

Ennacrima Artist Member

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Since the beginning of the contest I was wondering...
    What would happens to our game, in your hands?

I asked to my team mates. In the end, they want to know it.
    Me? Oh! Uh uh uh. Ah Ah Ah.

You're frightening. :kaoswt2:

So, well, I'll let the fate decide.
    Game in signature.
    :kaocry:

17. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good good! Let the fear flow through you!
    [​IMG]
    No but mostly what I mean is don't think I'm gonna Bob Ross it up all chill. Maki is the good cop here, and she's the copilot :kaosalute:

PKLpikachu and Frogboy like this.
  18. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    Indrah isn't scary. Just brutally honest. Everyone needs an Indrah in their life.

BlackswordGames and PKLpikachu like this.
  19. Kokoro Hane

Kokoro Hane Overly Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Can I just say your LPs are HILARIOUS?! I love seeing you yell at games! (Am I weird that I kinda want to be roasted, too? *shot*)

20. Zelgadis85

Zelgadis85 IGMC 17/18 Entrant Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Indrah Thanks for taking the time to review my game. I was aware you might give it harsh criticism, so your "outburst" shocked me less than maybe some others. :kaophew:I am aware the game requires a lot of refine. I certainly am not good at writing horror, as I nearly never play or read any. :kaoswt:If I had more time, I would have probably decided on an classic fantasy RPGs (as they are more of my forte) but due to time restraints (I entered the contest on 20th, and decided to scrap and restart the game after a few days) I was pressed on time and was proud of completing as much as I did. :kaopride:Though, I first decided to not to rely on plugins, but implemented the doodads around October 30. I did seem to forgot to put quite a many interaction switches there, though, which was probably why you felt you couldn't interact with them.:kaoswt:

I was working on the mentality "the project must be able to be run from start to finish first, polish comes later" but it may not have paid off.:kaoswt2:

Out of curiosity (I haven't watched your videos yet), you did play the normal game and not the legacy mode? Because if you played the legacy by downloading the save file on the game page, you basically missed the entire game (as that was what I originally made and scrapped less than halfway). Edit: According to @Makio-Kuta you were playing the intended version and this paragraph doesn't apply.

Anyways, thanks for your review, harsh as it may be. I appreciate the effort. :kaohi:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017