RMMV Indrah's IGMC2017 Let's Plays and notes. 50 games and counting

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Indrah, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Zelgadis85 I'm pretty sure we started from the beginning. It felt like the beginning.

The biggest problem (at least from what I as a witness could tell) was that the game really lacked any sort of guidance for the player. You're thrown in a huge map without any indication on how the game would like you to approach things. You know you need to escape, but the how is left completely in the lurch. All Indrah could do was resort to the basics - talk and search everything - and that didn't work. There are so many characters running around, but they didn't provide what appeared to be useful information either. One specifically mentions the library, but there appeared to be nothing to find there. Clearly, something was lost in translation on the way to tackle the game.

I know we don't want to hold our player's hands, but it's very important to teach them what your expectations are for them before throwing them in a giant mansion and saying "have at it!" Your players are not equipped with the knowledge you have as the dev.

I hope this makes sense and gives you a better idea how to tackle the game. I love escape the room style mystery games, but you really glossed over a lot of the basics.

Joy Diamond and Zelgadis85 like this.
  2. Zelgadis85

Zelgadis85 IGMC 17/18 Entrant Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Makio-Kuta @Indrah Alright, I understand. The intended starting point would be a certain maid on the second floor, but that wasn't clearly informed (it was only in the featured screenshots of the game, which -sadly- were not part of the game submission page) But I admit that most NPCs ended up being just for flavor and did not have any meaningful interaction. The library which the girl in the hallway mentioned contains a secret passage, but it must be opened elsewhere. I'll be certain to pay more attention to the NPC dialogue when/if I make an upgraded version of the game.

I also pondered about implementing a guide or a quest log, but decided against it because of two reasons: as mentioned before, I was pressed against time, and I thought that having a guide - who tells where you need to go or what you need to do - would make the game trivial. The game, in its' current state, is completable in about ten minutes, granted you need to know where to go and what to do. Guess I was too bent on that 'one hour playtime' thing and it might have shown.

However, I do not want to derail the thread any further, so if you want to continue this discussion, we should do it privately.

Makio-Kuta and Allan Bays like this.
  3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    22/11/2017 +4
    OH BOY today was such a shitshow :kaodes: First game was decent platformer that didn't grab me much, second tried TWICE to murder my computer (and severed my internet connection twice for MYSTERIOUS reasons) and the third...
    Ladies and gentlemen. Gather around to see how the potato finally goes bonkers and starts shouting and smacking her dayum table in distress. Wailing included :kaomad3:
    Fourth was ok but a bit lacking in polish details.
    if you're the sort who enjoys me losing my sheep, watch The Lost Kingdom video :kaophew:

Starfall by @chaucer [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay / A decent platformer. Functional, the jump was a tad clunky, but nothing big. I'm simply not huge in the genre and playing with a keyboard is tricky. Not bad, but not my thing.

Eremiel by @Frogboy [VIDEO LINK]
    Bugged / This game despises my computer so fiercely it destroyed my internet connection twice. I have absolutely no idea what the game is doing behind the scenes but on its first run it froze my pc for a solid minute and borked Discord, and on the second it briefly cut off my internet connection.
    Game itself is a kind of decent platformer with not a lot to offer. Story isn't particularly compelling, graphics are extremely barebones, mapping is disappointing and gameplay is stock at best, dodgy at worse. Collision was extremely dodgy. A good proof of concept, I guess, but not appealing. Eventually the game locked me out of progress by teleporting me out of bounds :kaophew:

The Lost Kingdom by @ghorba96 [VIDEO LINK]
    **LET ME SPECIFY: this game is not HORRIBLE. It's pretty bad, don't get me wrong, but what happens in the video is the culmination of a ton of games so far that have been poor, not only this one. I kind of lost my mind. And hey, if you wanted impromptu mapping tips...**
    1 Ugh / Terrible mapping, badly delivered barebones story, boring gameplay, messy eventing. There is nothing to make this game appealing right now. It needs a lot of work, but the mapping was particularly bad.

Light in the Dark by @Skyforger007 [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay / Already mentioned at the end of a video a lot of things. It's decent, but overall lacks appeal. It's fully functional and decently polished, but a lot of dev choices make the experience worse. With some streamlining and adjusting in tone and narrative it could be neat, but right now it's just kind of there.

----------------------
    @Zelgadis85 Protip: having that many npcs wandering around where many do not give important info will tire out the player into not bothering to talk to them. I would recommend NOT making any npcs vital to progress unless very obviously signalled. They all look similarly out of place and none looked particularly vital. Inspecting the environment is usually the way to go in such games, and it was distressing there was NOTHING like that there. The most important part of walk and talk games are spoiled on both sides, meaning it's unfun :kaosigh:

Put the list under a spoiler for ease of use. Added a counter (32 vids /games covered!)
    Added a recommended list to get you started.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Zelgadis85 and Makio-Kuta like this.
  4. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    0 for 2. Today just isn't my day. I've literally walked through that door 100 times without issue and tested my game on an Intel Atom handheld pc so um, yeah sorry. Not sure what's going on besides me being me being unbelievably unlucky. And as far as the story goes, you almost got to see it. The real story starts when you beat the first boss but I guess it's back to the drawing board for this one.

Thanks for playing my game, though. I appreciate it.

5. chaucer

chaucer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Indrah Thanks for playing our game, I know you're not big on platformers ^^; I remember watching your play through of symbiote last year haha. It's great to hear feedback on the game though, I also forgot to mention there is controlller support T__T, unfortunately we didn't have time to implement key assignment for keyboard, or controller. Also I'll try to make the jump feel a bit smoother in the future, I really appreciate the time you spent playing through our game. ^_^

6. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Fanart of today's marvelous experience: Indrah's breakdown:
    upload_2017-11-22_22-40-25.png

@Frogboy When you test, are you holding the button down through the transfer? Or letting go while the character is forced down? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Might be something to toy with - seems odd it would work fine when you test but not for others. (so it must be something different in your behavior compared to the player's.)

Indrah likes this.
  7. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've tried that but perhaps not thoroughly enough with the doors that have a wall only one tile away.

After seeing people play my game, I've noticed two big things that I need to do. One is to rework the door exit, of course. I originally set them up to auto-run but because there's multiple doors on most levels, I had to change them to parallel so that they all run. I'll need to run it with an event copy of Eremiel's character and then swap it out for the player controlled version when the copy is finished moving.

The other big mistake I made was making the first area too large. Most people who have played my game are losing interest before the real story of the game starts. I've gotten some good feedback from others who have played it as well so I'll still fix it up and make it into the game that I envisioned. But I can't change my IGMC version so I'll just concentrate on polishing it up and adding in the things that I didn't get a chance to put in.

Thanks again for your advice.

Makio-Kuta and Kyuukon like this.
  8. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (=-_-=) I haven't watched a "Let's Play", but I would love to see you play my game to see if I have to "rethink" how I create games. Stories are something I can create, getting pretty good at mapping and even editing graphics, but those are nothing if game play is bad. https://angelcait.itch.io/lightvale-secrets-of-sorrow/devlog/14215/lightvale If you have time or desire to do so. I put a lot of effort into my game and want to know if I am on the right track, a little more work or have it completely wrong.

9. MikomiKisomi

MikomiKisomi Actual Witch Miko Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, this is really cool, I'll have to watch some of these videos :D If you ever have the time (or anyone) I'd love for some feedback on my entry, That Which Binds Us. It's not a platformer or a typical RPG, it's more of a visual novel, so that might be a good or a bad thing depending on the player.

10. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    DIDJA THINK I WAS DONE? HAH! I WAS JUST WAITING TO TAKE YOU BY SURPRISE! (Or my voice was kinda shot over small cold, you pick).

29/11/2017 +3
    3 games, two messes and a decent premise with somewhat messy execution. In the second vid we had another session of "snap and spend too much time remapping the terrible game".

Lucie by @motta [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / I'll be honest, this seems to me like a mishmash of elements from popular horror RM games like Mad Father, A Witch's House and similar, but doesn't match up to those at all, so it all feels bad. The mapping is very rough and flawed, there's no ambience outside the music and a few scattered sound effects, the puzzles while not terrible have no actual payoff and the main, biggest problem is that its not scary at all. There's a decent base to build off from, but it needs a lot of polish. I can only say having played the games this seems to inspire itself from, it does not match them at all.
    Quit at the angel chasing you because it was ridiculously unfair and I had no patience to wait for the random movement of it to favour me.

The Dragons of Elion @Trivi [VIDEO LINK]
    *Includes a solid half hour of me remapping bad maps, because I can.
    1 Ugh / This is terribly rough all around. Not even something as simple as a intro or text crawl is made well. The game starts in a tutorial with it being introduced quite literally as the Tutorial Room, which is a horrible way to introduce a game. Even if skipped it broke all mood. The text crawl was horrible because it was such a wall of solid text we could not read it in time. The characters were not introduced past the wall of text we could not catch anayway, the mapping, especially the interiors, was a mess. All interactable points were somehow evented as CHESTS? The two physical character only had the repeat of their attack skills which was a friggin joke...it was bad, I'm sorry. I'd start clean and yank away a ton of fluff and put in some actual content and some at least basic polish.

Journey to the East by @Ennacrima [VIDEO LINK]
    3 Just okay / It's a rythm game, as I'm not good at those this colors my bias a lot. Overall the art and the writing were engaging, and the battle system mechanics are well made, but the devil is in the details and the fact is that the game is a hassle to play. Combat is engaging, but also gives you not time to rest nor has any real tactics. Encounters quickly build up in number, and there's no reward for them at all. Skills are bland, characters can be poorly introduced and overall it just got very tiring. Adjusting a few things such as lowering encounter rate, giving a lot more time to choose your actions (not the action itself, just choosing what to do next) and making enemy actions a lot faster would help this game a lot. As it is it just loses its charm very quickly and gets bogged down into annoyance. By far the best about it was the art.​

There are only three games left on the list! One of them needs 4 players which means it's out, and another is a political parody which I'm not too sure about...and after that requests are over and I can do what I want!
    There are three different things I want to check out:
    1-Actually cool looking games.
    2-Games that look hilariously bad.
    3-Boobie games.

I'm giving you a quest: help me find all the boobie games on the contest. You know what I mean. Clear boobs on the cover, fanservice galore, the works. I wanna make fun of them >D
    Next session will probably be saturday. Cheers!

11. Nicola

Nicola Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  12. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That one was in my sights yes. It's so effing obvious. But I'm pretty sure I saw a bunch more, dang Itch.io doesn't let your order or filter the game list tho so it's hard to get a good grasp on them.

13. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Play Final Winter and Recondite woman.

14. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They don't look like boobie games so I'm going to assume that's a general request (unless the boobs are hidden XD)

15. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Just trust me on this one hehehe

16. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Riteo I'll do so on saturday. But if they suck I'm totally blaming you ;D

17. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Sure. :kaoluv:

18. motta

motta Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for the review! I actually learnt from your commentaries! Of course it is not as good as Witch's house and Ib, but it was what i could deliver in the short contest time :/ (college did not help, also, lol). I will definetly polish it a lot and make it worthy the play, also i did not know Mad Father actually uses a crow as a save point, i will change the animal in the final version because it actually has a role in the main history. And i will also nerf the angel because a lot of people are complaining about it.
    At least it was evident that you had fun playing (most times, heh) and i could spot some mistakes in the development with your video, which were my main objectives
    But again, thank you for your time, hope you play the final version when i finish developing and polishing it!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Kyuukon likes this.
  19. Blair Pendragon

Blair Pendragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  20. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Sounds like a hint, the winners are pretty much decided then? :D