RMMV Indrah's IGMC2017 Let's Plays and notes. 50 games and counting

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Indrah, Nov 7, 2017.

1. AtlasAtrium

AtlasAtrium I don't know anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First Language:
    English
    well, the top 20 is decided at the very least ;j

2. metronome

metronome Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    top 20 announcement + judge mention = top 10 at the very very least, usually, IMO.
    and hey I played your game. Starchild, isn't it? I do think yours will also be in the top 10.

dayum, why is there no "which entries do you think will make it to top X IGMC2017" thread here? :D

3. AtlasAtrium

AtlasAtrium I don't know anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First Language:
    English
    haha, im glad you think it'll do well!

and if youre interested in a thread like that i suppose you could always make one yourself :0

4. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Beat ya to it but mostly just to get a bead on good games I might have missed. Sounded like a good idea so why not? :)

5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Nope. I just so happen to like those games.

6. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    2/12/2017 +5 (on disqualified for not being playable)
    Today we had one very bad game, one meh game, a solid entry, and a good game! It was a neat scale from suck to good! After this, IM FREE AS A BIRD to play whatever I like next! Bwahaha!

Journey of the Scroll by @Kokoro Hane [VIDEO LINK]
    *Includes third session of impromptu re-mapping.
    1 Ugh / This was an extremely rough project. The mapping was disastrous, the story made no real sense and the flow of it was bad. Voice acting was so sparse it had no point. The story made no sense and characterisation was weak at best. I didn't even get to see a battle before I got annoyed enough to quit. By far the best part about it is the title art, which almost feels like false advertisment :kaoeh: This needs a lot of work.

Lightvale - Secrets of Sorrow by @Caitlin
    NOT PLAYED Entry version did not work, disqualified.

That Which Binds Us by @MikomiKisomi [VIDEO LINK]
    NOT GRADED / I feel like we were probably harsher than necessary on this. I don't wanna really grade a demo, I guess if I did it would be between a Just Okay or a light Meh, not sure. My main problem with the game is that it does not go full out for either an adventure or a visual novel style, and just sticks in the middle with the worst aspects of each, so we get NO narrative or description, but no graphical portrayal of what's going out either. The mapping is extremely barebones, the SINGLE CHOICE in the game boils down to the same thing, and the characters were largely unlikeable as far as I was concerned. I felt like I could see the twists coming miles away so there wasn't a big sense of mystery. It needs work. As a demo it works to get a feel of it out, but it doesn't engage me much.

Final Winter by @Talonos [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good / A solid entry. I admit roguelikes or start anew every run are not my thing so I'm biased, but it's well put together. The first couple runs were fun, but when those were over and progress became slow (or non-existent) it got annoying quick, particularly when the game has the GALL to tell me to just "skip past monsters and gather treasure". YOU LYING HOOR HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT I TRIED YOU ARE A VILE NEST OF LIES. :kaolivid:
    So yeah. Putting in some sort of shortcut or even making switching or certain enemies stay GONE would help, I feel. The battles got boring quick and the screen transfer from in-out battle got really tiresome, especially since during it the map's characters (and the awaiting encounters) have a delay before loading so it's extremely easy to just bump into a new enemy without a chance to evade it (which means I can't really run from enemies you lying game!). Overall it's a solid game that had me entertained for a while, and while I do have problems with it most of them come from it not being my type of game. Solid for what it is, but not sure I'd be patient to finish it.

Recondite: The Phantasm Emporium by @Suoish [VIDEO LINK]
    4 Good / I had a lot of fun with this, but it had its caveats. Presentation in general is well-polished and I love the two main character's dynamics. The combat system is cool, I think, but I'm terrible at real time systems so I was more anxious and clumsy than anything. The concept of the alchemy was cool and fairly well implemented, but it really plummeted my engagement when they asked me to do five copies of the same laborious process to get started.
    So yeah. Characters are great, presentation is good, combat was okay as far as I can tell but not my thing, and the crafting was...interesting, but definitely not somethin I want to do constantly because it can very easily get tedious.
    One minor complaint that I got really annoyed at was switching up the controls. Why would you switch the default accept? I kept canceling or misclicking because the order of Accept/Cancel keys on the keyboard had been switched around :kaosigh:
    I feel like I would enjoy this game. I would have to finish it off to see but I've no idea how long it is and I don't think long games do well in stream mode. I'm not a very good commentator if the game is actually good.:kaoblush:

40 games! COME AT ME U NOOBS! (except the judges, please don't come at me at all I understand how painful your job must be XD).
    I'm not too sure on Recondite's grade. Depending on how the game evolves it may go up or down (or stay at a solid "Good"). Anyone know how long it is? If it's past a couple hours I can't really stream it, I'm not a good commenter when it comes to decent games :kaoeh:
    HOWEVER! This ends the REQUESTS! Which means ITS THE WILD WEST OF PLAYING WHAT I WANT! Which means next session we'll tackle BOOBIE GAMES! I Found around 4-5 that could fit that so we'll see :kaophew: I also want to check out some more regular games and some possibly horribly games. We'll see.

Eterna and Makio-Kuta like this.
  7. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    HA! I told you they were good. :kaojoy:
    Final winter does need less enemies or slower they're annoying after a while.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Makio-Kuta likes this.
  8. Nicola

Nicola Villager

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia There should totally be an IGMC advent calendar where we get to open a door each day and see the name of a game in the top 20.

The suspense killz :kaomad2:

luizcubas likes this.
  9. Ringtale Games

Ringtale Games Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I'd love some feedback on my game! Even if its harsh! It's my first finished game and I've had a huge lack of plays and not much in the way of constructive criticism! Thanks so much!

https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/190479

10. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    BTW Indrah I know you stopped taking requests but I legitimately want to see if you can finish this game.

11. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Want to see me finish it because its good, because its bad, or because it has an interesting ending? How long is it?

12. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    It's just <1 hour and it's about escaping a serial killer :kaoluv:

13. metronome

metronome Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Played those games you suggested, and I think those two are pretty solid. Though I think I like Final Winter a bit better than Recondite in term of gameplay. They should join power and create a game that's a combination between those two lol.

More hints on which games that will enter top 20? ;D.

14. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    04/12/2017 +4
    BOOBIE GAME DAY....had really disappointing games, I'll be honest. Only one of them was kidna fun in a bad way and the rest were extremely half assed demos or devoid of any "game". I'm sad :kaodes:

Human Extinct by takkonguy [VIDEO LINK]
    between 0 NOPE and 1 UGH / This was a bad game, plain and simple. There was absolutely nothing to it aside from a few fanservice shots. Plot is over-explained and dull, events are predictable, writing is pretty bad due to the dev clearly not being very good at English and it not getting properly edited, gameplay was a dayum joke and the ending was hilariously terrible. What was the point of this? If you want boobs and nothing else just make boobs.

Project Witch by InnocenceInnocence [VIDEO LINK]
    0 NOPE / I will be honest, this was hard to sit trough it was so clearly not even DEVELOPED. In a way it was "fun" to see how NOT FINISHED everything was, but it was also a pain to deal with the stupid padding. Half-baked doesn't cover it. Aside form the fanservice in the ridiculous character designs (which could have been cool if they had toned down the tits and ass display) and a few (VERY FEW) custom assets in the maps there isn't anything to say. This is not a demo. Not even an Alpha. It's a proof of concept you send to a friend. Not something you present in a contest. :kaosigh:
    Initially I gave this game in the vid an "UGH" but in retrospect its frankly insulting how it had the gall to present this crap to a contest. Don't post prototypes to a contest :kaosalute:

Monster Girl Univeristy by @nyakochan [VIDEO LINK]
    1 UGH / Poor presentation, janky mapping, dull writing. Not appealing overall + slow start + already played dull game before = sorry man I can't take this. It's dull. It's unappealing. Needs work.

Quidget the Wonderwiener by @Dezue [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / I've seen this mirrored in a bunch of feedback and I think the say: fancy graphics, no actual content. Feels like an advert for what I assume is the full game on patron or an extended dull tutorial. Not into it. It's a very sleek, very fancy bow with nothing inside.​

BOY OH BOY today was an overall DULL game. There goes my want for a boobie game session :kaodes:
    I guess we'll go back to regular games, which I have a long list of already set. Some of them requests, some of them games I've heard are good, so we'll have to go rip into them, won't we? :kaojoy:
    Next session probably wednesday back to regualr games! (You failed me, boobie games. How dare you...!)

luizcubas and Makio-Kuta like this.
  15. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose

First Language:
    English
    What an underwhelming day. I'm still angry.

16. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    06/12/2017 + 3
    Fair warning for today: I got really angry and annoyed during the second game, and was probably extremely harsh to both second and third games. They may or may have not deserved it. I'm too salty now to be objective.

Paletta by @Cosmic Latte [VIDEO LINK]
    3.5 between a Just Okay and a Good / The game starts quite promisingly with a cool presentation and vibe, but as many of this type of games, it falters in the gameplay department. There's not much there at all, and the narrative isn't particularly good to pick up the slack. The game makes a swerve into somewhat darker themes, but the ending somehow ignores all of them and swerves wildly back into a merry ending with no mention of what happened. Unsure if this was due to time restraints or what, but outside a couple darker moments and the intro it was rather bland and extremely easy, there wasn't much to it. Could have been way more interesting if it had explored those dark themes and toned down the padding or made the core gameplay more enjoyable. As it is, it's just a pretty and bland little thing to me. It's also very clear some tiles/maps were rushed and lacked the care and detail of the others.

The Sculptor by Rentso [VIDEO LINK PART-1] [PART-2]
    3 Just Okayish / Let me preface this by saying the game isn't as bad and probably not entirely deserving of the shit I gave it, but it created a perfect storm of frustration with very unwise and probably unintentional design decisions. While I will admit it was my fault for getting stuck over stupid stuff on the first puzzle, I did fine until the game decided that when I tried to enter a dark room WITH A DARKLIGHT ALREADY ON, it would be a great idea to stop me dead and say it's too dark to see. Naturally since I was not going in I assumed I had to find the OTHER light, and obviously that was not it so I got stuck. When a friend finally pointed out the method (as I was getting ready to play the next game), I was extremely irritated. We blasted through the rest of the game to a supremely unsatisfying ending.
    If I hadn't run across that problem that wouldn't have been as bad, but I did, and it SUCKED. It would have been SO EASY to just tell me its dark AND check if I had a light to just let me get IN, or not say anything IF I had the light, OR just put the warning BEFORE the door so I didn't have to assume I couldn't go in. It was a minor design rough spot that caused so many problems.
    There were other aspects that were rough. Not being able to skip through dialog in a game about retrying is nonsense. The protagonist blabbering when exploring and only pointing out the extremely obvious. "It's a shed", NO SHIT YOU THINK? I CAN SEE IT RIGHT THERE YOU DUMBASS. The intro is forcedly slow with the game having waits after every dumb text box, and the exterior maps were horribly badly mapped and were a clusterfuck.
    In the end, I got really angry at this game, mostly because it could have been good or at least decent (the ending was really dull), but it just trolled me and soured my view of it. With some decent polish it could be pretty neat, but man I got salty over this. Pretty sure I chucked my microphone here :V

Azure Isle by @IAmJakeSauvage [VIDEO LINK PART-1] [PART-2]
    3 Just Okayish / Prefacing this by mentioning I was already very angry from the game before, so I was probably unfairly harsh. In summary the game is well polished but the gameplay is dull and too railroady to appeal to me, with the fighting system feeling restrictive and unfun, and the boss being just plain annoying. When I got a Game Over at the boss which already took a long time, I could not bother.
    The presentation of the game is by far its best point, but I'd have loved to actually move freely rather than be stuck in four directions. The maps were railroaded, the fights were very scripted too, it was fairly punishing and easy to die with no enemy or strategy variety so I wasn't a fan. It had neat things, but neither plot nor gameplay could carry it and presentation only takes you so far.
    Fixing the gameplay to be less unfair and scripted or having difficulty options to not make it as obnoxious would help make the experience a much faster breezier thing, but as it was and with me in an already bad mood it just left me frustrated.
    You can take away about five degrees of annoyance from my mood to more or less see the real outcome. Part of it wasn't even the game's fault, it just arrived right after my worst anger inducing game =_=
    Also includes another microphone chuck, which means the poor thing will break down for good too (and prob isn't too pleasant to hear, oops). There's also long moments of silence as I try to not shout at the game when it gets frustrating. So...watch it with care. Half of it is just pre-built up surliness.​

My microphone hates me now, but if you like seeing me angry and frustrated then OH BOY do I have a treat for you guys today =_= Both The Sculptor and Azure Isle are two parts and full of salt and vinegar.
    I also realise I'm being pretty demanding of games and giving pretty low grades, so I want to stress: I'M A SURLY, CATANKEROUS DUMB ASS WHOSE OPINION IS BIASED. My tastes are not universal and I'm subjective, so don't feel like my word is gospel (though I'm confident I do point out legit problems with the games at least a few times).
    And here we have a masterpiece summarising today's mood courtesy of the ever-lovely and ever patient @Makio-Kuta
    [​IMG]

17. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for your feedback! I agree with you on most of the points - I myself was struggling with the movement system and what I wanted it to achieve. I think it fell sort of flat and I'll just have to transition over to a regular movement system (another struggle was that I wasn't able to fit enough into the maps with exploration the way it was).

EDIT: Since the release I've been mostly focusing on working on the battles/skills/progression in general - I think when I drop a newly released demo they'll be significantly less frustrating and hopefully more fun. :kaopride:

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  18. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    08/12/2017 +3. Reached 50!
    I'm very happy about today. Firstly, we got a touchdown on 50 games, and to celebrate, the 50th game is what I consider a clear winner of the IGMC2017.

Idol Goddess Made Captive 2017 by @AI Sin [VIDEO LINK]
    1 Ugh / This was a request by the dev to rip into it, so we did. Mainly the game really lacks a reason for playing it. As it is it's very much "yeah that's a thing that exists" but not really enjoyable. Gameplay is clunky and random, story is moot, there is no variation or exploration...there's no point. It needs a lot of adjustments all around.

Hello Blue Echo by @Ringtale Games [VIDEO LINK]
    2 Mehh / This game wastes any goodwill its presentation could give it by having a horrible font choice. It completely disrupts the game, as it's tiny and very hard to read, making dialog hard to process. In the end I could not be assed to care about reading it since it hurt my eyes, which made the story moot (what little I saw didn't seem to be bad, but reading was hard and I skipped it). The gameplay was slow and dull and not very interesting, so the game quickly lost any fun factors and I couldn't be arsed to continue when the second puzzle was unresponsive and clunky.
    I heavily suggest taking the game aside and giving it a good polish session, because the art was nice and it's a shame it was so buried under its other issues.

The Golden Pearl by @The Mighty Palm [VIDEO LINK]
    5 WOOO! BEST IGMC 2017
    entry. Please everyone go play and vote for this game, it really deserves it.
    What a coincidence that the game that makes number 50 in my playlist is by far the best game. I think I've checked the majority of the popularly accepted games, and this is by far the best. The presentation is fantastic, there's a ton of content (took me 3 hours) and while it has a few flaws I ultimately did not really consider stopping. Fuller review and feedback later.
    Warning to any players: there is a glitch in the dark woods when you enter one of the holes. PLEASE keep a backup of your save file.​

So that's it! This marks 50 games! Not bad, I'd say. While I was cranky and surly for a LOT of them, I feel validated by the last, which proved that you can get a fantastic game done in a month and crammed with content.
    I'm exhausted from four hours of stream grind so I don't have the energy to do it now, but I'll make a better review of Golden Pearl tomorrow. Really great job @The Mighty Palm. I hope the save glitch problems don't count, or at the very least you get the popular vote. The game really deserves it.

And with 50 games down it's time to slow down. It's been a pretty crazy month-ish and I've played most of what I wanted. I may keep up a few more sessions but they won't be as often. Any other of you guy's liked games that I missed? Please point them out and I'll try to check them out.
    (Boy it feels so good to walk away from a streaming session content after an actually good game so I don't have to be a cranky potato!)

luizcubas and Eterna like this.
  19. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  20. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @The Mighty Palm THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR MAKING A REALLY GOOD GAME, YOU HUSSY. YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE, WHICH IS PRAISE :kaolivid:

The Mighty Palm likes this.