Maronius

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I release a demo of my game and a lot of player are giving me feedback that the ingame playtime isn't correct (which is shown when you save a game in the corresponding save slot).

Some people say, the played at least 3 hours (without dying or repeating something), but the ingame counter shows only 2,5 hours. On the other hand, some people tell me that the counter is ~4 hours, but they startet playing the game 3 hours ago.

I wouldn't mind if this was told to me by only a handyful of people, but now it's over 30 people giving me feedback of this strange behavior.

So is this something someone else already noticed here? How is the ingame playtime counter working? Does it count the fps, and every 60 frames = 1 second? What if the frames per second of the game are over or belows 60? Does the ingame playtime counter then runs faster/slower?

Tw0Face

Master Strategist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The first thing could be simple. Maybe your testers went Game Over at some points during the game and they had to load their last savefiles to continue. This means their actual playtime would be higher from what the playtime counter says. On the other hand, I don't see any reason why the playtime counter should be (at least one hour) higher than their actual playtime. This makes no sense to me. Do you use any plugin that may affect the playtime in any way?

Greetings,
Tw0Face

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It also might be perception of time issues. I've tested my game with an actual clock by the computer, and the times match perfectly. So they might feel like they spend 3 hours, and really spent 2.5 hours.

In fact, in statistics, they found this is common in surveys, where people misrepresent the time spent as they go by how long it feels like and not how long it really is. So they will say things like my commute is 45 minutes, but if you timed it with an actual clock it is really 33 minutes.

Last edited:

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or maybe it's an fps issue. Because mv is strictly tied to the monitor's refresh rate.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Like @Poryg said it's an fps issue. MV, by default, counts the total number of frames (Graphics.frameCount) and then calculates the play time considering that people are running the game at 60 fps. So there are 2 possible scenarios (not counting normal behavior when people play at 60 fps):

1) The player's PC is not powerful enough to run at a constant 60 fps (or the game dev limited the fps to 30? But why would he do that...). In this scenario the playtime will be lower than what it is supposed to be.

2) The player has a monitor with a high refresh rate (more than 60, usually 100, 120, 144, 165, or 240). In this scenario the playtime will be higher than what it is supposed to be.

Honestly there is no simple solution to this, since they all require modifying the code. There's probably a plugin for that though (I don't know them since I fix these kind of problems myself). In most versions of MV that I used (anything lower than 1.6, not including 1.6), MV processed 60 fps on high refresh rate monitor correctly (meaning it only refreshes the canvas 60 times per second) but counted every frame, even those that didn't refresh the canvas. The fix is actually quite easy if you know how to code.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I th8nk you can use tddp time fluid.js to fix the fps problem?
Maybe if you put the playtime in a variable, and use ane plugins that have a sync data like himeworks.
So the olaytime will be atached to the variable, and them, the variable will not reset or change due to game over or not.
I think this would give you more control of playtime.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I typically ask this on my normal social media channels, but figured there may be good replies here. Anyone got any good horror movie recommendations? I've seen a lot, but I always love getting suggestions! Bonus points if you know which service it is streaming on (in the US) - bring on the spOoooOky!
 After a few distractions (and my annual rough second week of October), I’m getting back on track with my OMGC project.
 Am I overcomplicating it? Yes. Am I going to tone it down? Almost certainly not.
 At least the dialogue stuff is almost done. I need to do the map itself, and then all that’s left is combat.
 Getting there!
Creating 3D CGs for Cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I keep wanting to post every song I make for the game and have to hold back on that because at this rate, I'll have spoiled all the really good stuff lol..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwagTorchic