BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi Guys,

So if I want to give players their own 'base'. where they can erect new buiildings etc. how would I go about doing this in terms of giving them a free choice on what they want to build, and when.

as I know you could force the players to build in a specific order, but I want to give a free choice on whether they want to build an inn first or a crafting shop etc.

Cheers!

Artificer

Creator of worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you using plugins of eventing? i wanted do to something like that but is too hard.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think if I were to try this, I would approach it this way:

When whatever condition is met, you give them a choice. "Choose a building: inn, craft shop, store" etc. Then, have the choice trigger a switch. There would be events, originally set to blank. Page 2 of the events would be triggered with the appropriate switch and would have the graphics of the building.

I have no idea what sort of strain such a system would put on the game as far as lag goes. But it's what I would try, if I wanted to event it.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, having blank events all over your map will cause lag, I can almost assure you.
Instead of going the Dark Cloud route, perhaps change a minor detail of your game to make it easier to create in RPG Maker, as well as less of a headache when it comes to functionality (I remember in my first game, I put a blank event on every fence tile, and those alone lagged my game sooooo much).

You can try having all of the people dissapear instead. That way, instead of constructing whole buildings, you just need to have the one event for the person.

Best of luck with your project.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another thought - and again, I really have no idea what it might do to lag - is to use Gimp or Photoshop or something to basically parallax the buildings. And then use a similar method above to show them as pictures.

Just throwing out random thoughts.

BehemothRPG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I'll go with the idea of mlogan since I already set up a similar mechanic in one of my games. I liked the idea to have a "base" such as in the Suikoden series. The base is destroyed at the beginning and with enough materials you can build up the buildings one after another. But the key difference was that I gave no choice to the player WHERE he could build his buildings, I guess this would take a parallax map for every single possible permutation of buildings which can be .. well a lot :)

For easy parallax implementation I can suggest you to take a look on Kaus_Ultimate_Overlay Plugin

Last edited by a moderator:

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I am looking to develop a hub basically.

What I might have to do is event this up.

Give the buildings a pre allocated space on the map, create maps accordingly (so I am not lagging the map with a ton of events), the people can choose which building to build, it will then reload you onto a different map with your allocated building,

so example

Tier 1

Inn, Blacksmith, Stables

Id have a map with the Inn, a Map with the Blacksmith and a map with the Stables built,

Id also have a map with the inn and black smith built, stables and blacksmith and inn and stables

then a map with all 3.

as each choice is made, you get the remainder of the choices, and create variables from your choice

so

Inn=1 (Means there is an Inn)

BSmith=1

Stables=0 (means there isnt one

if Inn and Bsmith on > teleport this map etc.

The only thing is, I want a lot of buildings which may hammer my maps up and up, any small change to a building will need a new map, I need to think on this...

Last edited by a moderator:

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as each choice is made, you get the remainder of the choices, and create variables from your choice

so

Inn=1 (Means there is an Inn)

BSmith=1

Stables=0 (means there isnt one

if Inn and Bsmith on > teleport this map etc.

The only thing is, I want a lot of buildings which may hammer my maps up and up, any small change to a building will need a new map, I need to think on this...

If you made certain buildings dependent upon other buildings existing first, it would narrow down your number of maps you would have to potentially create.

Treat it like developing infrastructure in a 4X game. Your players would still get the whole "Building my town" bit from the experience, you could narrow down your number of maps; & if done right, it would make sense within the game world.  

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If you made certain buildings dependent upon other buildings existing first, it would narrow down your number of maps you would have to potentially create.

Treat it like developing infrastructure in a 4X game. Your players would still get the whole "Building my town" bit from the experience, you could narrow down your number of maps; & if done right, it would make sense within the game world.  

Hmm I really like this idea, I might have to draft out all potential buildings I want and then try to create a dependency tree for the buildings, it will probably cut out a lot of work (I am not shy of work, I just feel that the way I originally planned to do it, would mean a lot more work then needed)

Edit before posting: I realllly like your idea to be honest, I can't believe I overlooked it!

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm I really like this idea, I might have to draft out all potential buildings I want and then try to create a dependency tree for the buildings, it will probably cut out a lot of work (I am not shy of work, I just feel that the way I originally planned to do it, would mean a lot more work then needed)

Edit before posting: I realllly like your idea to be honest, I can't believe I overlooked it!

I've actually been considering doing something similar in one of my own games, & was playing a campaign of Civ V over the weekend; so tech trees were fresh in mind when I read your comment. 

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Further on this I am also breaking the whole hub into multiple maps so it makes it easier, certain areas wont be clear / accessible till other objectives are met etc.

Finally got this sorted and can start working on it ;)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Moving day is on May 12! A month from today! I'm finally getting my own apartment!
I made the logo and title screen for my game (Still rough but at least it's got a design now)
Eyy1s2gXIAMzfFN
Eyy1s2hXMAEmiRA
BCj
Whelp, it's been a while. Had another retina surgery on april 1st on my left eye. Well, 4 time's the charm, right? *recovery mode on*
The next JABS update will include ally AI and an aggro system.

Question:
What would YOU expect to happen if you had four+ party members in an ABS, all fighting either together or separately or a mix of the two, and the player hits "swap leader" button?
It currently pulls all followers to the player's location, removes all aggro towards enemies, and swaps them.
Time to wear a new face again...

Should keep things interesting huh? @EpicFILE :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaito199