Ink Dialogue System in RMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

faolae

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello!

I'm trying to introduce a scripting language called ink—it's described as an interactive narrative engine, mainly used to write and create choose-your-own-adventure games—into RPG Maker MV. It's a great tool used to create dialogue-heavy, story-rich games. Paired with RMMV, I thought it might have incredible potential as a base to build off of. Imagine a CYOA game made in RMMV, but less time-consuming and with less eventing! All you'd need to do is build assets and string together some added functionality for a fully-fledged game.

I've been scouring the web for any plugins that might help with this endeavor, but so far I've only found a video of someone's successful(?) attempt of importing ink into RMMV and nothing else. When I looked up the dev, it seemed like he did not release any ink-related projects and was last active two years ago.

Good news: ink has a Javascript port that could be compatible with RMMV. The only problem is that I have no idea where to begin with converting the port as a plugin for RMMV.

The goal of the plugin would be to translate the .JSON file exported from ink as a game, more or less, within RMMV. It doesn't need added functionality, just that it can import .JSON files from ink with no difficulty.

Kvothe

The Bloodness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Brazil
Primarily Uses
N/A
As I can see, you can use the runtime port for JavaScript, inkjs, then you get the data exported as .json... and just 'fetch'. The other step, is to configure the .json received from the file that you have exported to replace the messages of the your game... of course, there are a lot of step into this, but isn't hard.

1 - Export the data as .json using the port for Unity
2 - Use the runtime and learn their library for Javascript, inkjs
3 - Fetch the data .json that contains the message
4 - Choose your method to invoke the message... can be using ID <key>, or filtering and so on xD

faolae

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I've roughly figured out steps 1 to 3 with my limited grasp on Javascript, but I'm not sure how to interpret the data from the exported .json file into messages within the game in RMMV. I want to try to achieve a similar effect from the video I linked.

Are there specific script calls for this? If so, how are they usually written in plugins?

Kvothe

The Bloodness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Brazil
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do you have a sample for me to give a look? (of .json file)

faolae

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
i uploaded a json file of my ink script, which is a wip, over here. fair warning for messy formatting :eswt2:

Kvothe

The Bloodness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Brazil
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have give a look 'n yes, I don't have understand anything on how it works, however... I'll download the app and use your .json as example to see how the Editor handles with it.

The thing is: understand the rules & business logic

faolae

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I dont know if I can bump this a second time..

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, at the request of the OP. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You know, I sometimes ponder if working on the story and details is more necessary than the game itself. Its... technically work, just not direct.

Like for me specifically I never stop evolving the story based on what avenues I can approach in gameplay and then I get anxious thinking "hey good thing I thought about that now instead of later". Repeat ad nauseam.
World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)
So my office building has 8 individually rented offices in it; 3 of which are social workers and 2 are marriage therapists... Unsurprisingly it always sound very angry out there. Glad I have my own private entrance. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
I wonder if there's ever been an art challenge that involves drawing faces from the generator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vaporware_Studios