Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
LWP_Ink 1.0 Logan Pickup

This plugin has now been superseded by the combined RMMV/RMMZ plugin. Please see that thread for future updates.

Introduction

Ink is a narrative engine that focuses on writing markup rather than scripting, the intention being that text comes first, code second. This makes it good for narrative-heavy games. This is a simple integration script that allows using Ink within RMMV/RMMZ.

Features

- Run Ink scripts
- Allows calling specific Ink paths
- Allows some control over RMMV/RMMZ from within Ink

How to Use

Download the javascript port of the Ink engine from here: https://github.com/y-lohse/inkjs
Take the copy of ink.js from the templates/browser_serverless folder and add it to your RMMV/RMMZ plugins above this script! It's also highly recommended to use the YEP_MessageCore (or Visustella message core in RMMZ) plugin to handle word wrapping.

Next you need to export your Ink script as JSON. From Inkle, select File->Export to JSON... and save the file as inkscript.ink.json in your game's ink folder. You need to repeat this export process whenever you make changes to the script in Inkle.

use the plugin command INK. Without parameters it starts the Ink script from the begnning and continues until it reaches the end. It is probably more useful to use it to start at specific paths; just put the knot's name (including a dot and the stitch, if desired), for example:
Code:
 INK admitted_to_something.i_know_where
This plugin will continue to run Ink until it stops via -> END or -> DONE, although some special tags can affect this behaviour; see the section on hashtags below. This makes it convenient to, for example, have a knot in Ink per NPC or per scene:
Code:
=== npc_alice ===
* [Just ask Alice]
    When I was ten feet tall?
+ [I'll be on my way]
- -> DONE
And then when you interact with this NPC in game, use the plugin command INK npc_alice, and have Ink figure out what the dialogue options are. See below for more integration options.

Message Boxes

The text from Ink is passed as-is to RPG Maker MV/MZ. This means that you can use any RMMV/RMMZ escape codes you want to, as long as anything that conflicts with Ink syntax is escaped properly. You should also be able to use custom escape codes and notetags that any plugins you use allow.

LWP_Ink also has its own set of controls over the message boxes using Ink hashtags; see the section on hashtags below.

Variables

RMMV/RMMZ variables can be accessed from Ink using the external functions rmmv_var() and rmmv_switch() (see the seection on external functions below). These functions return the current value of a variable or a switch. If you want to check the state of an Ink variable from RMMV/RMMZ, you must use the link_var() and link_switch() external functions instead. These functions link an Ink variable to an RMMV/RMMZ variable or switch, allowing updates to pass between both engines; if a change to a variable is made in Ink, it is updated in RMMV/RMMZ; and if a variable is updated in RMMV/RMMZ, it is also changed in Inky.

Example:
Code:
 VAR foo = 0
~ link_var(foo, 1)
And from then on, the variable "foo" is synced between Ink and the RMMV/RMMZ variable 1. If you do the following in Ink:
Code:
~ foo = 13
Then RMMV/RMMZ will see the updated value in variable 1; similarly, if you change variable 1 in RMMV/RMMZ, then
foo in Ink will also get the changed value.

Only number and string variables are supported for syncing between Ink and RMMV/RMMZ.

If the Ink variable type is a boolean (i.e. it is initially set to true or false) then it should be synced with an RMMV/RMMZ switch instead using link_switch(). If the Ink variable is then later assigned a non-boolean type
(something other than true or false) in Ink then you will not get the results you expect; please don't do this.

There is no method for getting Ink variables from RMMV/RMMZ plugin code.

Loading and Saving

Ink state is saved as a part of the savegame. Certain pieces of state are not saved if the game is saved in the middle of displaying content, and any currently-running common event is not saved either. It shouldn't be possible to save the game at these points, so it shouldn't be a problem.

When Ink Can Be Called

Ink can be called anywhere the plugin command action is allowed - i.e. the map or in a battle. It doesn't work as well inside a battle, though, and you should first use RMMV/RMMZ commands to disable the battle input if you're planning on showing a lot of dialogue. Ink has no commands for controlling RMMV/RMMZ state except for the #common_event hashtag; see the section on hashtags below.

Plugin Commands

• INK
    Starts Ink from wherever it left off; starts at the beginning if it hasn't started yet. Does nothing
    if the Ink script has ended.
    Once started, Ink will keep running until an interrupt allows RPG Maker to take over again.
    Ink will not start running until it is able to show a message box; it will not pause the current
    event or stop it from running.
  • INK path
    Starts Ink at the specified knot (You can use "." to specify a stitch, too) instead of where
    it left off or where it would normally start.
External Functions

The following external functions are available in Ink. They need to be defined at the top of one of your ink files using the syntax shown.

• EXTERNAL link_var(ref varname, x)
    Links the variable varname to the RMMV/RMMZ variable x. The values will be automatically synced when
    going from/to Ink. Also, this will set the current value of varname to the RMMV/RMMZ variable it is
    linked to immediately.
  • EXTERNAL link_switch(ref varname, x)
    Links the variable varname to the RMMV/RMMZ switch x. The values will be automatically synced when
    going from/to Ink. Also, this will set the current value of varname to the RMMV/RMMZ switch it is
    linked to immediately.
  • EXTERNAL rmmv_var(x)
    Retrives the value of RMMV/RMMZ variable x.
  • EXTERNAL rmmv_switch(x)
    Retrives the value of RMMV/RMMZ switch x.
Hashtags

This plugin processes certain hashtags from Ink. The hashtags can be defined at the top of a knot or even at the top of an Ink script if you need the same flags for all messages; there is no "override" mechanism though, so if you have #bottom at the top of a knot and then #middle for a single line of text, that line of text will get [cur]both[/cur] #top and #bottom hashtags, and the final location of the message box might not be where you want it, so make sure you really want the hashtag to appear everywhere before you do this.

"Action" hashtags like #common_event or #battle should only ever be used for single lines.

The following hashtags can be used:

• #top, #middle and #bottom Move the message window to the top, middle or bottom - same as the "Window Position" field in RMMV's show text command.
  • #window, #dim and #transparent Controls the background of the message box - same as the "Background" field in RMMV's show text command.
  • #interrupt Stops running Ink after showing the tagged content. Calling the plugin command INK without any parameters will continue from the next piece of content.
  • #common_event(x) Runs the common event x. Control will pass over to the common event until it finishes, after which Ink will resume again. If Ink is called again from the common event then the current Ink knot will be overwritten by the new target, but Ink will still not start running until the common event finishes; this is unintuitive, so it is best to just avoid calling Ink from a common event called by Ink.
  • #battle(troopId,winTarget,escapeTarget,loseTarget) Starts a battle. It is possible to just pass control to a common event and start the battle from there, but this way allows you to jump easily jump to different Ink paths based on the outcome of the battle
    (it is still possible with a common event by using linked variables). This hashtag also stops Ink running, just like #interrupt - if you want to continue the Ink dialogue during the battle, do the
    INK plugin command from within the battle itself.
    troopId is the number of the troop to use for the battle. If set to 0, or not set, the troop is determined randomly using RPG Maker's normal mechanism.
    winTarget is the path to go to in Ink if the battle is won.
    escapeTarget is the path to go to in Ink if the battle is escaped from or aborted.
    loseTarget is the path to go to in Ink if the battle is lost.
    winTarget,escapeTarget, and loseTarget can take the same format of paths that Ink can: either a knot, a knot.stitch, or a stitch by itself, provided the stitch is in the current knot and the stitch does not have the same name as a knot. Any parameter can be omitted, and if escapeTarget ot loseTarget are omitted then the battle cannot be escaped from or will end in game over if the battle is lost, respectively. For example, to prevent escape but prevent a game over: #battle(0,win,,lose)

Script

The latest version of the script will also always be available on github: https://github.com/theartofme/rmmv-ink/blob/master/LWP_Ink.js

FAQ
TBD

Credit and Thanks
- This thread, although it went nowhere, provided the original impetus for developing this script.
- https://github.com/y-lohse for the javascript port of Ink

License and Commercial Use
This script is licensed under the MIT license; TL;DR is that yes, this script can be freely used in commercial projects. Credit is not actually required for a game built using this plugin; if you want to credit me, then you can credit me as "Logan Pickup". If you wish to include a link, you can use the link to the plugin's github repo: https://github.com/theartofme/rmmv-ink

Author's Notes
Why would you even bother with this? The big reason for me is that editing a lot of dialogue in RMMV is a pain, and Ink provides powerful tools to control narrative. It is much easier to look at an Ink script and understand the story!

Last edited:

theartofme

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Clarification added; credit is not necessary, but how to credit has been put in if you want to credit.

theartofme

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated: the Ink plugin now supports localisation! If you are using either Iavra MasterLocalization or DK Localization, the Ink plugin will detect it and will load a language-specific Ink script instead (instead of loading inkscript.ink.json, it will load inkscript.ink-en.json, for example). It supports changing languages on the fly, too.

This should make localisation easier - instead of trying to extract all the strings from an RPG Maker project, if you've used Ink for dialog you can just hand the entire Ink script to the translator (be sure to translate the original .ink file, not the exported .json file - the JSON file is unreadable!) and export the translated version.

KotoYama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like a nice plugin to try. Is it possible to use letter sounds, characters portraits with it?

theartofme

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like a nice plugin to try. Is it possible to use letter sounds, characters portraits with it?

It uses the normal RMMV/RMMZ message box, so any plugins you have that interact with the message box should work normally. If the plugins need escape codes to work, you'll need to put the escape codes in the Ink script, but you need to add extra backslashes:
  • If you would normally use one blackslash, you need two ("\\" instead of "\")
  • If you would normally use curly braces, you need a backslash in front ("\{" instead of "{" and "\}" instead of "}")
So the escape code "\C[3]" needs to be written "\\C[3]" in Ink, "\{" needs to be written "\\\{" (backslash and brace both need an extra slash), and to make a backslash appear you need four: "\\\\".

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D
So got my hearing tested to see if it was the cause of my mishearing what people say. Test showed no problems but talked with the doctor about anxiety and ADHD causing hearing issues and she agreed and also added that some people hear things differently. With my anxiety cause I am in fight or flight I pay attention to all the sounds in the area so body knows when react. Can't pay attention to one source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MythologixGD