EclipseVRP

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Before I begin, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right thread, so I apologize in advance.

Now, to start, I'm making an Inn for my Town using a custom built map I got off of Workshop (No Events Added). And so, I decided to set up an Inn that follows this order of events:
  • Talk to Inn Keeper
  • Rent Key
  • Go to Room
  • Unlock Door (Remove Event Door Graphic)
  • Get in Bed to Save and Recover
  • Return to Inn Keeper
  • Return Key
  • Close Door (Add Event Door Graphic)
Now, I got most of it set up correctly, but I'm having trouble with the Door Graphic showing up. When I return the Key, the door is still Unlocked. In other words, the Graphic is still gone. I've tried many different approaches, from making Events putting the Graphic in place using Switches, to making Self Switches do it. Sadly, I'm not well experienced, and that brings me here. Would anyone know how to make a Door work properly that is activated by the Key Item? I'll list Screenshots below of the problem and what my Event Page looks like.

Rent Key.PNG

So here, I have my Event Page for renting a Key to the "Lavirian Inn". There's more to the Event Page, but they're just the other 3 Keys available. We'll be focusing on "Lavirian Key 1," since all the doors function the same. The Switch "Inn Key Received" lets the Inn Keeper switch her lines to the next Screenshot:

Returned Key.PNGReturn Inn Key.PNG

When "Inn Key Received" is ON, this new Dialogue comes up that allows you to Return the Key. When you Return the Key, you will be able to leave the Inn (otherwise, you're asked to return it before leaving), and the Inn Keeper reverts back to her original lines to repeat the Event to rent a Key.

Now this all looks fine right? Well, that's where the problem comes up. Once you return the Key, the door is still Open as shown below:

Opened Door 1.PNG

The next Screenshot I'm going to show is the Event Page of the Door. Please note, I have removed all Switches associated to it, since I'm asking for help on how to actually make one:

Door Function.PNG

As the Screenshot mentions, unless you have the Key to Door 1, you won't be able to enter it. If you do however rent the Key, then it will open by using a Self Switch A, that removes the Graphic, which is set up on Page 2.

Now to sum everything up, how can I have it where the Door can close again and show it's Graphic, while still having this Event Page still on to use after returning the Key?

I apologize in advance for making this post so long, as well if I posted it in the wrong section. Thank you in advance!

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see that you turn on the switch 004 Inn Key Received in the first-ever, but I didn't see you turn it off when delivered the key.

Also, don't use the switches. It is better(since you are using items) to use the event command to check if the actor has the item(Key). It one less thing for you to worry about. A switch is a boolean value, and also, have or don't have an item, is a boolean value too.

EclipseVRP

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see that you turn on the switch 004 Inn Key Received in the first-ever, but I didn't see you turn it off when delivered the key.

Also, don't use the switches. It is better(since you are using items) to use the event command to check if the actor has the item(Key). It one less thing for you to worry about. A switch is a boolean value, and also, have or don't have an item, is a boolean value too.
I understand, but even so, how would it affect the doors? If it were to check if I had the Key, how would it open, and how would it check if I had no Key to close?

Pasteleptic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I understand, but even so, how would it affect the doors? If it were to check if I had the Key, how would it open, and how would it check if I had no Key to close?
That's what event pages are for, set a different image in the page where your switch is set to on with the specified separate event page. Also, to make it easier on the player, I would advise you against using a choice to open the door or not. If the player doesn't have a key, it's good to alert via a text, but the door should open automatically if you interact with it, providing the player already has the key.

Sound effects go a long way with map changes too, you could have the screen simply fade out with a door opening SE.

Last edited:

EclipseVRP

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's what event pages are for, set a different image in the page where your switch is set to on with the specified separate event page. Also, to make it easier on the player, I would advise you against using a choice to open the door or not. If the player doesn't have a key, it's good to alert via a text, but the door should open automatically if you interact with it, providing the player already has the key.

Sound effects go a long way with map changes too, you could have the screen simply fade out with a door opening SE.
Hm, I suppose that's an option. I think I'll go with that actually; have the door ask for the key, and if you have it, it'll fade out, transfer player in room, and make a sound effect, then fade in, all in one. Then when you want to leave, just press door again to repeat the process, but letting you out. Thanks for the help, both of you!

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Glad to help!
You can also make this way :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's my cute little ghost~
Minecraft Dungeons is a great example of a game that's much simpler than other games in its genre but almost as equally immersive and fun to play. Lotta RPGmaker devs could learn from that lesson.
Well, it's been a while since the last time I came here... Is there a JS scripting FAQ? I'd like to know what it's capable of achieving, and how :rswt
I love the Time Fantasy tiles, but haven't played anything made with it yet. Can anyone recommend me something?
Vote for what I show more indepth on Twitter tomorrow from the MZ default resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmydark