xXHughezXx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’ve been having issues trying get my NPC to run an event in my Inn. I’m just trying to get the protag to interact with the NPC behind the desk but the event won’t run. When I took the NPC from behind the desk though it worked. But when the NPC is behind the desk it won’t work. This is kinda frustrating because I thought this would be a pretty simplistic process. Should I just remove the desk entirely?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
we usually need a lot more info - something like screenshots of the events or the map - to start helping.

without that info we can only guess what your description means.
but the triggering of an event is rather simple as there are only three position types from which you can trigger an event, nothing else - and if your event doesn't trigger then your actor is not in one of the required positions.

1) standing on the event - this requires the event to be priority below
2) standing next to the event and facing it - this requires the event to be priority same as
3) triggering over a counter - basically the same as 2, just with a single counter tile between the party and the event.

"counter" is a flag in the tileset - if that flag is not set, the tiles does not work as a counter even if it looks like one.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The fastest way to fix your problem is to place your NPC behind the desk without any events to run and move already made actions into another empty (invisible event) placed on the desk. Like in this image:

A - NPC without actions
B - event with actions running inn (must have priority set to same as player)
C - Player

xXHughezXx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think that’s how I had it earlier but maybe I missed something. I’ll have to go back and look at it again. Tried to post a photo but it was too large.

xXHughezXx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
we usually need a lot more info - something like screenshots of the events or the map - to start helping.

without that info we can only guess what your description means.
but the triggering of an event is rather simple as there are only three position types from which you can trigger an event, nothing else - and if your event doesn't trigger then your actor is not in one of the required positions.

1) standing on the event - this requires the event to be priority below
2) standing next to the event and facing it - this requires the event to be priority same as
3) triggering over a counter - basically the same as 2, just with a single counter tile between the party and the event.

"counter" is a flag in the tileset - if that flag is not set, the tiles does not work as a counter even if it looks like one.

Hmm… that might be why the event isn’t triggering because I’m not using a counter tile I guess. I didn’t see one that I could use in my tilesets so I used a desk tileset. I don’t have a whole lot of new tilesets either. Where can I find some good counter tilesets?

HarlekinLehl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's no real need for counter tiles specifically. Just have the actual event for the inn trigger on the table / whatever you're using as a counter. (same as player) (like @Soulrender showed on his screenshot)

If you want to keep the ability to walk behind your Inn keeper just have him say something like "what are you doing behind the counter? If you want to use our service, please behave like a normal person and speak to me up front."
Free assets can be found all over the internet... Looking for specifically a "counter tileset" might proof a little difficult.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where can I find some good counter tilesets?
you don't need a specific image for this. The "counter" is a setting in the tileset definition that can be applied to any tile. Why don't you try to set your table to be a counter?

xXHughezXx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's no real need for counter tiles specifically. Just have the actual event for the inn trigger on the table / whatever you're using as a counter. (same as player) (like @Soulrender showed on his screenshot)

If you want to keep the ability to walk behind your Inn keeper just have him say something like "what are you doing behind the counter? If you want to use our service, please behave like a normal person and speak to me up front."
Free assets can be found all over the internet... Looking for specifically a "counter tileset" might proof a little difficult.
Thanks! I’ll give it another try later today. This is very helpful information! Also I forgot to mention that my doors don’t animate when you walk up to them. I haven’t been able to figure that out for the longest.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks! I’ll give it another try later today. This is very helpful information! Also I forgot to mention that my doors don’t animate when you walk up to them. I haven’t been able to figure that out for the longest.
Have you actually set them to animate in the event?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Doors don't animate by themselves. Usually, with the way they're set up in the default graphics, you need to make the event turn left, then right, then up, with a short wait in between.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, I didn’t even know that I could do that!
right-click where you want a door, select quick event creation - door.
after that is finished, doubleclick the new door event to see how the animation is done.
you can do it the same way or edit the event commands for a different effect.

xXHughezXx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
right-click where you want a door, select quick event creation - door.
after that is finished, doubleclick the new door event to see how the animation is done.
you can do it the same way or edit the event commands for a different effect.
This is a big help! Now my doors actually move! Can’t thank you enough!

xXHughezXx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The fastest way to fix your problem is to place your NPC behind the desk without any events to run and move already made actions into another empty (invisible event) placed on the desk. Like in this image:

A - NPC without actions
B - event with actions running inn (must have priority set to same as player)
C - Player

xXHughezXx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried that again this morning. But I still couldn’t get it to run. Placed the event on the desk and had Action Button enabled. NPC didn’t have any commands either.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then you need to show us screenshots of the map and the event commands.
we can't tell you what you did wrong without seeing what you did.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tried that again this morning. But I still couldn’t get it to run. Placed the event on the desk and had Action Button enabled. NPC didn’t have any commands either.
Make sure that the invisible event on the table is set to "Same as characters" in the "Priority", otherwise a player can't interact with it.

The "counter" setting is in the Tilesets tab, if you want to use that alternative.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Entry #11 - The someone with tentacles is back!

9c3d9c_8e0b34064d294c748927c1d9a3d4e4f7~mv2.png
so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thimmyzxc