Innovative and Interesting States

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by ave36, Jul 24, 2019.

1. ave36

ave36 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are there status effects in your game that are not just standard JRPG fare such as Blind, Silence, Berserk etc and not variations on existing states such as Bleed as a special analog to Poison, etc?

In my game, there is the state called Virus. It simulates a "rage virus" like effect: the affected attack allies and have a 50% chance to transmit the virus each attack. If not cured, the infected die in 5 turns, which can easily lead to total party kill due to the infectious nature of the Virus. Virus is a tier 3 status ailment, which means it is only curable by the tier 3 status cure spell Exacea, the top tier curative item Vitalixir, or a specific item called Garlic Herb; no lesser status cures will be effective.

I did not initially try to invent the Virus: I was trying to replicate the Zombie status from FF6. But I could not replicate it because certain necessary plugins caused CTD when an immortal state was applied to an actor rather than an enemy. So I had to invent an alternative mechanic even more devious than that, and I came up with Virus.

What are your fun status effects?

2. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For a pet game I was thinking of making a chubby state that would boost defence and lower speed if you overfeed your pet which would be good for some creatures but not for others XD

3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Flame cloak = Retaliate (melee) damage. Means if you get hit, the attacker will also get the damage. More hit, more damage, means multiple hits get even bigger retaliation damage.

Agile Hunter = Stack 10% dodge chance whenever the actor gets hit. Reset when evade

Enflame = Stackable state. First stack grants 20% more damage to the next attack (it can be a normal attack or skill), each stack add 5% more damage (10% if upgraded), state removed after the attack.

4. BitBrosGames

BitBrosGames *Keeps ruminating* Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    In one of my previous games, which I never finished, I made a status called "Jinxed".
    Anyone affected by the curse would attack normally but their luck dropped to 0, resulting in missing most of the hits or even hurting a different target (normally allies or themselves). Cures normally didn't work on them and, also, they got no EXP from the fight.
    The only way to get rid of it was to pass the jinx on to someone else.

Starbird_Resources likes this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I got a couple that are different:

Healing Curse: Anytime the target is healed, the caster of the state is also healed. Gets interesting when enemies use it on you as now you either need to remove it or not heal else you will heal them too!

Curse: Target does minimum damage out of the variance roll for a few turns. Can really weaken an enemy if they rely on high variance skills.

Bless: Target does maximum damage out of the variance roll for a few turns. Nice buff to cast on your allies.

M.I.A. and Starbird_Resources like this.
  6. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Daze: Target has a 50% chance to lose their action on a turn.

Bleed: DoT with a twist; only goes away either when the battle ends or the target is healed.

Shock: Target takes damage whenever they use a physical attack.

The most unique I've done is a boss state: Stoneskin. It reduces physical damage by half, and counts how much physical damage is done. When that damage hits a threshold, the stoneskin shatters, damaging all opponents and replacing Stoneskin with Shattered. Shattered then counts each physical attack (not halved) and when struck by enough attacks, Shattered disappears and applies Stoneskin once more. The idea was that magic was just introduced to the game not long before the fight, and I wanted to give a reason to use it more.

phamtruong1992 likes this.
  7. Starbird_Resources

Starbird_Resources Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    expanding on your idea (really good btw) would be interesting to have underfed, overfed kinds of states, and certain classes that would be resistant, for instance a monk being resistant to being underfed and a barbarian being resistant to being overfed or something like that.

mazzy-elf likes this.
  8. empresskiova

empresskiova Untitled Project1 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I’ve got Adrenaline. It gives you 20% HP Regen (its a low #s game), boosted Intelligence, Agility, and Luck, and even more boosted Strength and Endurance. To top it off, the player gets 2 turns.

Granted, this state only comes from a skill that’s burning 100% TP, and has a small % chance of being lost when you get hit. There’s an item that can max out TP in one turn, but those are expensive/not common.

There’s also one called Cover that lets you dodge 33% of ranged attacks, but makes you 33% less evasive vs melee attacks.

9. Redeye

Redeye Chronicles Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have one or two Mental ailments that are actually pretty powerful.

Fear is a state that removes your ability to Guard, crit, evade, and counter, and causes you to deal 25% less damage.
    Despair is a state that makes you 100% weaker to Instant Death attacks (which can be used to cancel out innate Death resistance).

All of my mental ailments also come with the bonus of making the victim weaker to Psychic damage, so a lot of state stacking is encouraged if you have those types of attacks.

10. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Tripped: It's basically a soft-stun that foes can inflict on heroes. When it is inflicted, the Actor trips. They cannot act for that turn. It removes at the end of the turn. Basically "Flinch" from Pokemon. Certain feet equipment can grant resistances to being Tripped. However, a Banana Peel will bypass any Trip resistance. :p

-MIA

11. Tech

Tech Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Frenzy, which represents a "cold" fury as opposed to Berserk's "hot" rage. When Frenzied, the character hits three times per attack. It also incurs immunity to Berserk.

12. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let's see!
    • Freeze: Classic paralyze-type effect, except non-fire damage deals double damage and ends the effect. Fire deals half damage and also ends the effect
    • Provoke - Counterstrike: This comes from a particular skill. It draws all single-target attacks to the user and allows them to counter hits.
    • Counterspell - Feedback: This also comes from a skill (Counterspell) which draws single-target magic attacks to the user, reduces magic damage by 75%, and counters each hostile spell with a pretty strong magic attack called Feedback. Unlike Provoke above, it does nothing for physical or certain hits.
    • Jump: Okay not very innovative. The user jumps into the air, becoming untargetable for a short period before landing on the enemy. Yes, an absolute FF Dragoon ripoff ability. I'm not ashamed.
    • Doom: Similar to the FF doom, it counts down and, upon expiring, either kills the target (100%) or deals hefty damage if they are immune to instant death effects. Designed to be a player skill, although I might put it on some enemies too.
    • Along the same vein I'm eventually adding a zombie infection type state which, upon expiring naturally, makes the target state resistant to death, confused, and able to infect their targets with the infection. Very difficult to remove (if I even allow it to be removable) during battle. (but like all my states, it goes away after the fight)
    • Plague: Also in-progress, it's a poison-element damage over time effect with a twist--it spreads to a random ally or enemy each time it deals damage. The amount of damage it deals depends on the total number of infected targets in the battle on both sides. It can easily get out of control if you don't cure it right away. For extra fun, I think I'll make some of the enemies that use it able to absorb poison damage...

13. Tech

Tech Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Debilitated is basically a hybrid of Paralysis and Bleeding. It represents being too hurt to move, but not hurt enough to pass out.
    On that note, Bleeding is a minor HP drain that prevents being healed (Healing Potions grant a 1-turn, 33% HP/turn "Healing" status that is intended to keep them from obsolescence late in the game, which Bleed resists).
    Ionized is a hybrid of Silence and MP-Poison.
    Dark Majesty increases all stats by 13%.
    Corruption DEcreases all stats by 13% but causes your basic attacks to be Dark-aligned and grants you some Life-Drain abilities.
    Reaper and Blood Mage trade Life for a buff to ATK and MATK, respectively.
    Repulsion Field massively buffs defenses for a short time
    Walker increases all stats 500% and adds some Special attacks, including one of the few Chaos-aligned abilities: "What Does This Button Do?" Yes, it represents the character piloting a giant robot.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    ave36 and FirestormNeos like this.
  14. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure these qualify...

I used to have states that existed purely for "flavor text". It's a feature I removed from my game due to being... well... useless, despite being cool.

Immolated
    "[Target] was reduced to ash!" Enemies would instantly die if they contracted this state.
    Frozen Solid
    "[Target] froze to death!" Enemies would instantly die if they contracted this state.

Small example. The flavor text was interesting the mechanic was that some skills had a small chance to inflict one of these "instant death" states on an enemy. Ultimately, they turned out to be fairly useless in terms of gameplay and strategy. It's an idea I may revisit sometime in the future with a different game. Who knows?

I currently have "Revenge States".

These are states that the player will never experience or even know exist. Essentially, they are a way to let me program troops to respond to specific actions the player takes in combat.

Here's how it works:

"Water Weakness". Every water skill in the entire game (and equipment that has the water element attached to it) will inflict "Water Weakness" at 1000%. It's guaranteed to happen to every single enemy unless that enemy is absolutely immune to the state. Pretty much every single enemy is immune to that state. Except in certain instances. Like say... boss fights.

So, you use a water element skill or weapon on a Fire Elemental. It inflicts the state (which has no icon to display, so it is effectively invisible) which lasts one action of the enemy and produces the flavor text "[Target] seeks revenge for being hit with Water!". Their very next action is 100% guaranteed to then be a special skill that they can only ever execute when under the condition of this state (Water Weakness). The skill is usually something "game changing" or "high powered" to put the player on the defensive, instead of leaving them confident that they can exploit a weakness all the time without consequence.

Every element in my game has one of these "Weakness" states tied to it. Enemies can seek revenge for being hit with swords... hit with general non-elemental magic, hit by high speed attacks, etcetera.

It's a lot of work to implement these, but the result is pretty fantastic. Sometimes, players feel "punished" for exploiting a weakness, but at the same time, every enemy has more than one weakness and in practice, they only seek revenge for one weakness exploited.

Basically, I just needed a way to make enemies respond in very specific ways when players took very specific actions. I didn't want to use the Troop Events pages and fiddle with it, so I just used the enemy stat box, and decided since I could force actions if enemies were inflicted with states... Easy solution. Making it "invisible" and "intuitive" were a little more difficult. I don't want players to know that they're inflicting these states, after all.

Finally, I have a state that the players and enemies have access to... which in playtesting has thrown every single player "for a loop" as to how it works. It is absolute and pure chaos. It is not a state to inflict lightly. It is not a state to be ignored, no matter which side has it inflicted on them.

Zombie
    Attacks anyone.
    Removed at battle end.
    Attack Stat 300%
    Fire Damage Taken 300%
    Attack State: Zombie, 100%

This state can only be dealt with in a few ways.
    1. Target inflicted dies. Zombie is removed upon death.
    2. A special consumable is used to cure it.
    3. Specific equipment that grants resistance/immunity to the Zombie state.
    4. Battle ends.

So, how does this work in practice? Someone inflicted with "Zombie" strikes someone else. It could be anyone. Allies or enemies. That target, without immunity or resistance to the Zombie state is then immediately inflicted with "Zombie" as well. The state is then passed along to the whole combat group. What follows is auto-battle chaos once everyone is infected. Enemies and allies all striking each other, doing a lot of damage, and the player unable to do anything about it. Combat effectively devolves into "luck of the draw" as you end up needing to wait it out to see who wins.

Or... rather... that's what happens when you take the state lightly. When you don't prepare for it and inflict it on any and everyone.

A player properly prepared for an outbreak of Zombies manages the chaos quite well.

They keep their own party uninfected while inflicting Zombie to keep the enemies from using any of their special skills. They, likewise, know to use "Fire" skills to kill the zombies quite quickly. It can also be used on enemies with very low "Attack" stats so that they don't inflict much damage on you at all during their time infected. Use it on Mages and Wizards and they'll just hit you with their sticks and no longer cast spells at you.

Yep, I've turned a State in a video game into a Biological Weapon. Effectively using a contagious disease to clear your enemies out. At least... provided you're inoculated against it. :D

FirestormNeos likes this.
  15. FirestormNeos

FirestormNeos Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a handful of states that a specific class (that specializes in DoTs) can inflict on enemies, but they all have terrible accuracy unless you inflict them in proper order. The last of the combo, which has an 0.1% chance of successfully being afflicted unless you have the other three up on the enemy, is a DoT that stuns AND tears away 50% of the enemy's max health per turn and can't be cured.

Oh wow, so I wasn't the only one whose thought "hey, what if I combined (attack anyone) with increased attack and (regular attack inflicts the status)" would be a cool idea for a state.

16. Tech

Tech Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think everyone does. I called it "Contageous" myself. I just didn't put it here because it seemed common.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    FirestormNeos likes this.
  17. Harosata

Harosata Dramatic Lightning's BFF Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Glitch: If afflicted, HP/MP/TP will show false random values. Considering those who like to recover their HP when low...

Slimed: If afflicted, Guard flag cannot be applied. You can still try to use the skill, but...

Paper: Based on Paper Mario, each attack takes a stack off instead.

Infected: Anyone attempting to head an infected target has a chance to be infected themselves.

Restrained: Each stack seals a random equip slot. For example, 2 Restrains could seal Head/Armor on one character and Accessory/Weapon on another. Extra effects or transforms into another state at full stacks.

Go: You or your allies will always move on the map. Dangerous with traps and map encounters.

Gooey: If the enemy with this state is attacked, you gain a stack. In turn, the enemy may have an attack that deals damage based on the target's stacks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  18. ave36

ave36 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That "What does this button do?" skill is a genius bit of flavor that sets your state apart from similar ones such as FF6's Magitek.

Tech likes this.
  19. Allenson

Allenson Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi guys, new at Rpg Maker MV.

I have this idea of a state but im not really sure if it is possible to do.

-----start-----
    POSSESSED:
    - the state gradually decreases the character's hp/mp/tp until it reaches 0 or he/she gets K.O.
    - inflicted with Debuff status
    - strong against dark element + weak against light/holy element.
    - cannot be controlled and will attack allies with a dark element. (i think it can be done using yanfly's weapon unleash plugin to replace the regular attack with another skill with a dark element, but really not sure if this is possible for auto attacks)
    - attacked allies are inflicted with random debuffs. (not sure how this is possible though, but maybe the replaced attack skill has debuff chances?)
    - possessed character cannot be healed and state cannot be removed in and out of battle unless a specific item is used (like holy water), or exorcise magic, or once ko'ed.
    - if there is a possessed character out of battle, there will be a high random encounter rate.
    - certain classes like priests or templars are immune to the state and certain items or armors can be equipped to have immunity over the state.
    -----end-----

Will be trying this one soon and let you know if this is possible at all. :) Btw, great states guys. Will surely include a bunch of those in my game. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  20. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I remember I used the Irradiated state in a few of my sci-fi games in the past. That gets inflicted if someone gets attacked by any Radiation element skills. I gave it slightly different behaviours in different games.
    In one of them I made it as a stackable poison state, so at one stack, it drains very little, but with more stacks, it gets deadlier.
    In another one I made it transferrable to anyone the irradiated character attacks with a basic attack. And also any further radiation attacks on the irradiated character will deal additional damage.

Another state I remember I used in one of my game series was the Condemned state. That one severely lowered the amount of healing someone can receive from healing skills or items. It made some boss fights quite interesting, where you could find yourself allowing a character to get K.Oed (and thus auto-removing the condemned state) and then revive them rather than having to spend too much time trying to remove the condemned state first before healing.