Inserting commands between "fade-in" and "fade-out" when teleporting player

rapiermother

RapierMother
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm wondering how to add commands to execute during player transfers in VX Ace.

What I mean is, I'm using an event that draws a translucent single-color picture covering the screen to simulate darkness at night. Whenever I teleport anywhere, I'll have a common event (SET_LIGHTING) get called after the screen fades out, but before it fades in. SET_LIGHTING will handle determination of which picture to draw based on time of day. This allows for normal lighting while indoors, and lighting based on time of day while outdoors.

Here's how I used to accomplish it in previous versions of RPG Maker:

[IMG]http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/rapiermother/ace_zps3a5658fd.png[/IMG]

But here's what I get in VX Ace:

[IMG]http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/rapiermother/old_zps132da409.png[/IMG]

with no space in-between the fade-in and fade-out to put in an event call. This means I'm stuck calling the SET_LIGHTING event before or after the teleport, and that results in the "night screen" disappearing an instant before the screen fades out (when leaving the overworld), or appearing an instant after the screen fades in (when entering the overworld). It looks pretty silly.

How can I make this work?

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
Why not just do:

1. fadeout screen
  2. transfer player
  3. event commands
  4. fade in screen

rapiermother

RapierMother
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, when I create a quick teleport event, the commands above are all I get, so presumably the transfer call handles the fading in and out in one call.

I'll test what you've posted when I get home, which should be shortly. I have a feeling it will either cause really long fades (which could be acceptable) or weird double-fades with flashes of regular screen in-between. On the other hand, it might just work perfectly. Either way, I'll let you know.

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
Well the quick events are for more new users who quickly want to make that kind of command. I'd prefer not to use those.

There's a few different ways but that one is just the command all broken up. Make sure the transfer is set to none instead of normal or white.

rapiermother

RapierMother
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Seems to sork just the way I need! Thanks Zane

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, also remember that when setting the transfer to set it the fade to None so there won't be a longer waiting period than the fade in and out.  For most of my games, however, I use the tint screen for the more retro fades seen in most SNES/Genesis/NES/Playstation console games.  That's just personal preference, though. :p

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a tip: have transfer player be the last event command. Event commands will get a little fuzzy and will simply not run after the player has already exited the map it's being run on.

So basically: fade out, random event commands, transfer player - and on the NEW map; fade in screen.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with Celi. That's usually what I do with my events, especially if they have some interaction with the current map before transferring to the new one.  If you need an event to run BEFORE the fade in, then it's best to put it after the transfer to ensure it runs proper.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Quite the versatile cast so far :p

chars.PNG

Edit: Sprites are made by Alexdraws and TheMightyPalm. I just edited them.
Degica Games Turn Komodo | RPG Maker News #77

Well, rats. Was really looking forward to trying out FPS Creator, but trying to install and set it up was pretty much impossible for my tiny brain to comprehend. So much for that, then.
Ah, home once more! I think I can safely work on my games now.
Let's hope power remains on for the day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reilo