Inspector Paws

Discussion in 'Mysterious August' started by RyanA, Sep 22, 2012.

1. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

The greatest detective in the world. Arthur Watts, the man who can solve any case, woo any

woman, conquer any secret organisation! Or so he likes to think...he's actually a below

average detective with an eye for the ladies and a very intelligent pet cat called Paws.

Paws is the real detective, solving the cases from the sidelines while acting like a pet, then

laying out all of the evidence in plain sight so Arthur can 'solve' the cases for himself. Without

any of the recognition he deserves and left with cheap powdered milk.

After a refreshing catnap is interrupted by a phonecall from the famous actress, Catherine

Quinn, Arthur and Paws head to her home in the countryside for a case, but when they

get there, things seem to be a bit fishy...and not the good kind.

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All credits are in the game. Sorry about stupid errors (like the suspicious character in one of the bedrooms >w<)

Anyway, thanks for having a look at this topic and if you play it, I hope you have a smidgeon of fun ;3

Download Inspector Paws!

RyanA

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Bad kitty. Your tags are all wrong. I'll fix it for you.

p.s. I like your logo.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
    Chailiatase and RyanA like this.
  3. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Woopsie :3 Thanks! Omg looking at the screenshots they all have errors in them >w< The rest of the game has too though 3: Especially one blazingly obvious one!

Korros likes this.
  4. Arcador

Arcador Villager Member

First Language:
    BG
    Looks good mate!

No worries, I spend 4 hours fixing typos .. and there are probably still some left.

RyanA likes this.
  5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Here's my thoughts while playing, note it's not final or cleaned up~

· That title screen is cute and the music is dayum nice.· The Logo is good

· The pacing is actually pretty good and the dialogue.

· The cat has a lot of personality.

· Passability issues.

· The Shift thing is pretty genius.

· The orb thing was just weird and is the weakest part of the game. I suggest doing a piece them up minigame instead of the orb thing since it didn’t feel like it was contributing to the game at all. It was a downer because I was expecting to do something cool.

· What you could’ve done is Arthur talks and then you animate a cutscene and get choices and they could’ve acted them out. Or if the Arthur was talking and if he did something wrong, the cat would do something. Like he had more play.

· The writing at the end felt rushed. The music by the end isn’t so good too. I think with a small polish on this part it would’ve been great. Like explain to us what kind of necklace is it. More detail about it.

· What I didn’t like about this game is how it’s too hand me down, like everything is guided to me by hand. I guess that makes sense considering this is “Episode 1” but I was hoping for more challenge. Maybe on your Episode 2 there’s more.

· What I suggest is to add more visual elements to the case. Like small pictures of what the objects are and if possible, a comic shot or animated events of how the murder was executed. It will bring more life to your game.

· Adding a time limit to the investigation would bring more flavor.

· It has so much promise and was so cute and it kinda fail.

RyanA likes this.
  6. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Aye I really did rush it towards the end, and there was a lot that I wanted to do too! I intend to go back and do all of this once the contest is over! Thanks for your great feedback Archie and thanks for playing :3

7. Tigersong

Tigersong Furry Fellow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hm, what's RGSS202E and why can't it be found?

8. Emzie

Emzie ಠ_ಠ Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Install the RMVX RTP into your computer.

9. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What Emzie said x3

10. Tigersong

Tigersong Furry Fellow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've installed the RTP, but now I get an error saying it can't find Audio/BGM/Inspector Paws Main. Could have something to do with the fact that there's no Audio folder in the game directory. :(

11. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Okay, so Inspector Paws was recommended to me to LP... so I did. Here's the video and a summary~

Inspector Paws Full

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. There were a lot of dialogue issues here and there but for the main part things were pretty neat. The mapping was quite well done, though a few passabilities didn't make sense (couches and a bed you could walk on, from what I remember). The systems used were pretty good, too. I like the little 'brainstorming' puzzle and I can see a lot of promise in a series of games with it. Oh, and I liked how Paws picked up on dialogue clues. Overall, not a bad game~

Hope the video helps you polish the game up a little more. I rather enjoyed it, even if I had trouble keeping my voice acting straight. XD

>.<)b

RyanA likes this.
  12. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks very much! :3 I really liked your comments and feedbacks, a lot of what you said was what I originally wanted to do, with different endings for each character, a fully explorable house and a more in depth menu.

I wanted to have a sort of 'clue counter' where you found so many clues for each character, but the actual culprit would always have more clues, slightly more hidden!

Also your ideas of the more open Inspector Paws is thoroughly intrigueing ;3

The spelling and stuff was awful, sorry x3 And that suspicious silhouette in one of the rooms was an accidental left over x3

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  13. Nici_s

Nici_s Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    This game reminds me some kind of 'Detective Conan'...

Suspicious...

But all in all I love this game :3

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  14. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    was a interesting attempt at a detective game but lacked the players interactivity.

a good detective game

allows the player to search evidence and clues themselves and name the culprit based on your own deductions.

this was like a visual novel XD

good stuff having a cat as the mc tho XD