KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
In my current project, there's a character that appears mostly in the lore of the story and she does not affect the game in any major way (except perhaps, allow some different endings). I want to imply that she is a character from a different game. She's not given the same name and there's almost no reference of the events that transpire during the original game. I mostly present abstract interpretations of her past and her future to suggest who that character is.

Is that enough to be considered plagiarism? Can I move freely, or should I ask permission from the developer first?

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I would think it woukd depend on the game, and the character.

But to be safe, I would contact the developer and see if they are okay with it.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't think it would count as plagiarism per say - if this character is as far removed from the original as you say, but I would still contact the original creator just in case. Because if they found out and were unhappy with it you would run the risk of burning a bridge, and also earning the scorn of someone you are probably a fan of if you are using their character.

Though, with them being so different, I wonder what the purpose of including them as "someone else's character" in the first place is, rather than just making them your own original one. A tribute? A shout out? If they don't have the same name or appearance and don't mention anything from their own life or world, what's the point?

Wait - I notice you didn't mention the appearance. If they deliberately have the same appearance as the original character then yeah, that does become plagiarism. That design belongs to the original creator.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's one of the two protagonists of a game, with a small amount of characters to begin with. The character's identity is given away by pieces of herself that have taken form and represent parts of her. They are put to situations very similar to the character's backstory.

Random example: If my character of inspiration would be a man that was bed-ridden as a young boy (and that determined a large part of his personality) I would present a sickly boy stuck in a bed.

The character will appear as she is, but due to the passing of time, she will be different.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Your newest statement seems to contradict your opening post to me? One of your two protagonists has little impact on the game? but anyway - If the game is going to give the player things to specifically crack who that character is supposed to be then Yes. Ask first for sure.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's one of the protagonists in the original game, while it's a hidden, behind-the-ropes character in mine.

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Be careful man, if someone is sharp enough to be able to pinpoint who that character is, they could still call you out on it. (And justifiably so...)

Last edited by a moderator:

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
I want people to figure out who she is, that's why I'm concerned.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

some test stuff. Empty for now. My other project (this project) needs more attention. The lagging really kicks up when I try to capture gameplay. ✨
Real-Time Battles, Pixel Filter, Animate Cursor & Menus & Windows | RPG Maker News #114

When your side job becomes more interesting than your dayjob and you think "do I quit again or finally actually do the same thing for more than five consecutive years..." I don't think I'll ever be able to say that though, I just cannot stick with one thing like you're 'supposed to'.
Does the word "research" imply that you're searching for something that had been found before?
So Dad broke the blinds two days ago and he finally decided to try to fix them. I doubt he'll do very well without some help. And I can't help him myself--I don't know how the stink to fix those blinds. My knowledge is just plushies, mascots, computers, animation, and video game design. And also, I've had to stop family and friends from downloading viruses too many times to count.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyanfoxxx32