Aldath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Ok guys, I'm fairly new to RPG Maker, and for my first project I'm pretty much copying most of classic FF skills.

However, I'm stuck on replicating Death spells, as adding Knockout as a status just causes enemies to stop acting, that, and I would have to create a separate status to prevent boss battles from becoming eternal when making them immune to knockout states.

I'm VERY new to eventing, like, 0 skill on it besides making shops and "if > then", and I guess adding such a thing to the game will have to be made via events, and this could be a wonderful oportunity for me to see how I can add common events into skills, or at least that's what I think...

Any help and insight on how to design it would be wonderful!!!

Baerthe

Design Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you want a skill that instantly kills something? Have you tried 9999999 damage?

Could you clarify, please?

Aldath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
you want a skill that instantly kills something? Have you tried 9999999 damage?

Could you clarify, please?

A skill with a chance to make enemy or actor HP 0, making their state immediately KO, pretty much skills such as Doom or Odin's Zanktusken from Final Fantasy.

I thought about breaking the damage limit, but there doesn't seems to be a way to make that into a status, since placing that damage into a skill would make it impossible for me to make bosses immune.

Baerthe

Design Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah should be easy. give me a minute to load up mv and try something...

EDIT: So make a new elemental type related to death effects. Make bosses immune to them.

Make a skill with the effect "Recover HP -100% + -99999", this will 100% kill anything. Then make its chance of working very very low.

@Aldath, Hows that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Yeah should be easy. give me a minute to load up mv and try something...

EDIT: So make a new elemental type related to death effects. Make bosses immune to them.

Make a skill with the effect "Recover HP -100% + -99999", this will 100% kill anything. Then make its chance of working very very low.

@Aldath, Hows that?

Seems like it's working, I'll have to further test it. Will keep you updated.

Thanks in advance :D

Baerthe

Design Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aldath Might I suggest you check out some pen and paper RPGs to get ideas like that. (dungeons and dragons 5th edition is very welcoming). I essentially got the concept from that... (Also reading stuff like that helps you get a good understanding of how rpg mechanics math work. Though granted that the video game rpg math differs a bit, but it helps in understanding)

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Did you edit the Death state? You shouldn't edit it as it is used by default by the game mechanics.

The death state should kill the target no matter how it is appiled.

If you death state is not killing the target, then there is something wrong with the state.

Also to create enemies immune to death DON'T use the 'State Resist' trait. Instead use the 'State Rate' trait and set it to 0%.

Using the State Resist will make the enemy immortal, but setting the State Rate to 0 will have effect only on skills that inflict the state directly.

Alternatively you can use those plugins for some custom death states:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Did you edit the Death state? You shouldn't edit it as it is used by default by the game mechanics.

The death state should kill the target no matter how it is appiled.

If you death state is not killing the target, then there is something wrong with the state.

Also to create enemies immune to death DON'T use the 'State Resist' trait. Instead use the 'State Rate' trait and set it to 0%.

Using the State Resist will make the enemy immortal, but setting the State Rate to 0 will have effect only on skills that inflict the state directly.

Alternatively you can use those plugins for some custom death states:

Wow, don't know what happened but now the Knockout effect is working like it should with Death spells. Setting State Rate to 0% also seems to work.

Thanks to both of you for the wonderful ideas and help! :D

asanogaijin

creating Valiant Souls
Reaction score
First Language
EN, JP, GER
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
THIS is really good advice!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Only 9 things left on the to-do list before my game's next big update. Minus the soul-crushing playtesting session, of course! So close...
Retired from RPG Maker.
Anyone else who initially created a character to be a villain only to end up liking them so much that you made them a hero? :)
Today i'll start creating monster sounds for my enemies :D I was looking forward to that
//Decides to cut his caffeine to a 3rd of the normal amount...
//Spends all weekend in a daze playing dress-up with dolls in Daz3D
:kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deamsrs